work out when do I eat?

Options
So my girlfriend and I are going to try out the ZUMBA fitness this week. Its Thrusday nights at 6:30pm. So my question is when do I eat. I really don't want to go with a full belly, but not sure If its better to eat before a workout or after. I was going to have a small snack before and then dinner after but I'll probably be eating at 8:00. or would it be better to have an early dinner and a smaller snack after?

Replies

• thedman
    Options
    When I work out in the evening, I will eat a small dinner before and then a small snack after. Seems to work fine for me. Just be careful to not eat too much before the class, might upset your stomach with all moving around in Zumba. Have fun!!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I personally can not eat anything within an hour or two before I workout or I get terrible heartburn and an upset stomach. But, if I have an empty stomach then I get lightheaded and dizzy. After a workout I try to get something in my system right away (usually just a glass of milk) and then make dinner (I normally workout right after work). So, I would have a little something to eat before so that your stomach isn't empty, but don't overdo it. Everyone is different when it comes to this.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    You are going to love Zumba. It's a fun class. I usally eat something light, such as a healthy snack 30 minutes prior to class, then eat dinner afterward. It works for me. I don't like to eat a heavy dinner prior to my workout because I get cramps while working out. Whatever you do, do not go to class without eating something. Your body will need the energy. Good luck and have fun.
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    I usually have a small snack about an hour or so before I head to the gym, and then eat dinner when I get home. It's usually 7 PM or sometimes a bit later before I finally sit down to dinner, and that seems to work fine for me.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I also do Zumba two evenings a week at 6:15 p.m. I usually eat a light supper between 5:00 and 5:30, but very light. Then maybe some fruit or something after. See what works best for you. And you'll love, love Zumba!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bring an extra snack for the GO Train (I'm the friend joining her!) and eat when I get home. I have a feeling I'm going to be STARVING tomorrow night after the class!
  • Chicki1975
    Options
    Ok, I gotta know... what is Zumba?

I usually work out after dinner in the late evening (the weeks I have my lil one it usually around 830) so its a good hour or 2 after eating dinner and I usually have something small after I am gone my workout as well.
  • teb1215
    Options
    Good question! I'm going to do my first Zumba class tonight and I'm so looking forward to it!
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    Apprently Zumba is a dance type workout class, latin, salsa ect

according the the website:

ZUMBA® Fitness is like no other workout you will ever experience! ZUMBA combines high energy and motivating music with unique moves and combinations that allow the Zumba participants to dance away their worries. It is based on the principle that a workout should be "FUN AND EASY TO DO" allowing Zumba participants to stick to the Zumba Fitness program and achieve long-term health benefits. Zumba is a “feel-happy” workout that is great for both the body and the mind. ZUMBA is a fusion of Latin and International music - dance themes that create a dynamic, exciting, effective fitness system! The routines feature aerobic/fitness interval training with a combination of fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body. Zumba utilizes the principles of fitness interval training and resistance training to maximize caloric output, fat burning and total body toning. It is a mixture of body sculpting movements with easy to follow dance steps such as:
    *Merengue *Cha Cha *Mambo
    *Salsa *Reggaeton *Cumbia
    *Calypso *Soca *Banghra
    *Samba *Latin Pop *Hora
    *Bellydance *Flamenco *Hip Hop
    *Salsaton *African Beats