GMO foods -what is your experience

Options
I have been reading about GMO foods and they are terrible! I can't believe the USDA allows them! I am going to go GMO free. Have you gone GMO free and what was your experience. Did you lose weight? Did you notice a change in way you feel? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My family and I buy as much GMO-free foods as possible! I'm sure it gets slipped in here and there, but I try to buy only non GMO!

Please watch the following video by Jeff Smith about GMO's; it's only available for free online until 9/22/2012

All the best in your quest for health!!! :happy:

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Many crappy things that should be off-market are on-market. We try to avoid GMO as much as we can but it's not easy.
  • susan1024
    susan1024 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My family has been trying to eat only non GMO, but have no control when we go out to eat. We also try to eat organic or Amish whenever possible. We have been eating very clean for the last 15 years and are extremely healthy. Neither my husband (63 years old) or I (59 years old) take any prescription medicine. (And yes we do have a total physical every year). Our children rarely get sick. We really believe that eating food without genetic engineering , pesticides, antibiotics, steroids, and hormones is what keeps us healthy and feeling young.
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    My family has been trying to eat only non GMO, but have no control when we go out to eat. We also try to eat organic or Amish whenever possible. We have been eating very clean for the last 15 years and are extremely healthy. Neither my husband (63 years old) or I (59 years old) take any prescription medicine. (And yes we do have a total physical every year). Our children rarely get sick. We really believe that eating food without genetic engineering , pesticides, antibiotics, steroids, and hormones is what keeps us healthy and feeling young.

I would totally agree with that!!! :-)
  • slindsey130
    slindsey130 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What is GMO?
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was eating a lot of GMO's w/o realizing it because I was eating a lot of processed vegetarian food. I've found some good GMO free replacements and I noticed I'm not as bloated and my digestion seems to be back to normal.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Gene splicing sounds scary, but once I understood the science behind it from college genetics classes, I wasn't too worried about consuming genetically modified foods. There's very little that a genetically altered plant is going to do to you...and whether you know it or no, most of what you buy at the super market is already genetically altered in some way.

However, there is a lot to be concerned about when it comes to the business ethics of the companies developing GMOs, cross pollination, splicing genes from different species of crops, ect.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is GMO?
    a Genetically Modified Organism

Soya bean crops are modified to make them resistant to a weedkiller (glyphosate) that is effective against a wide range of weeds.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    how are you able to avoid them? we don't have any labeling laws in Canada, any tips?
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    Check out the Non GMO Project! http://www.nongmoproject.org/

They have lots of verified non gmo foods and if you can't find what you're looking for, you can request to find out! Prop 37, here in California, will change labeling laws not only for CA, but also for the whole US, if it passes!! I pray it does!! I don't care if they want to create Frankenfoods, and I don't care if people want to consume them! I just want to KNOW if I'm eating them or not! and I prefer NOT!!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ya, I'm avoiding all vegetables except indigenous plants and heirloom North American beans found in a tomb in Mexico.
    The regular ones are all cultured and changed by man using Mendellian trickery, cross-breeding and didn't exist in nature the past.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I find the studies thus far disturbing enough that I'm trying not to eat them or give them to my family. Fruits and veggies are easy with the look for the 9, but it's surprising how many foods don't have the no GMO label when I'm looking for it. ETA I don't think that change alone would be enough for weight loss. You'd definitely have to reduce calories.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I find the studies thus far disturbing enough that I'm trying not to eat them or give them to my family. Fruits and veggies are easy with the look for the 9, but it's surprising how many foods don't have the no GMO label when I'm looking for it. ETA I don't think that change alone would be enough for weight loss. You'd definitely have to reduce calories.

Yes, there are many foods don't have GMO-free labels on them. Actually, in California, there's a proposition on the next ballot that requires there to be GMO lables for certain foods. However, there are many many food groups that are exempt. It's quite misleading too since people will likely chose foods without the label thinking that they are GMO free when in reality, they are not.

Also, it makes zero sense to me physiologically how GMOs could cause weight gain. I've taken genetics and many lower div nut science classes for my degree and that has never come up. I wouldn't worry about GMOs from that perspective, though there are plenty of other aspects about them that are concerning.