1200 Calories

Options
Yesterday my trainer suggested that I eat 1200 calories a day. I need low calorie food suggestions...HELP PLEASE!!!

Replies

• ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Pretty much all whole/natural foods, but in smaller/balanced portions through out the day.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Get a new trainer.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 5'5 and i was told 1200 (by a nutritionalist) I freaked out at first but I have 300 calories every meal and that many left over for snacks, on workout days I get a little extra.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 5'5 and i was told 1200 (by a nutritionalist) I freaked out at first but I have 300 calories every meal and that many left over for snacks, on workout days I get a little extra.
    I'm really curious to know why your nutritionist told you to eat only 1200 (which is probably a 40% deficit from eating less) when you look like you do not have much fat to lose. You add exercise and that deficit becomes even larger...
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.

I second that!
  • TamiAnnie
    TamiAnnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not as hard as you think. My doctor suggested 1200 calories for me too. It is doable. Just make healthy, low fat choices.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I would ask your Trainer to explain the concepts of BMR, TDEE and Metabolic Slowdown to you and see if they can then justify a daily 1200 calorie intake. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my trainer suggested that I eat 1200 calories a day. I need low calorie food suggestions...HELP PLEASE!!!

fire your trainer.
    They got their education from 120 questions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • natuhlay
    natuhlay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Veggies! Cook with them, snack on them, toss up a quick salad! You can eat so much veggies and feel full and not add too many calories while doing it.

Anything low in fat, and anything that is unprocessed would be a great choice as well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    so you're at 200 lbs with a fair way to go. Opening your diary may help with constructive suggestions. We don't know what you're eating now.

100g of protein per day is only 400 calories, 50g of fat is another 450 and 87.5g of carbs takes you to 1200 total. Trade between fat and carbs if you need to. You don't really need to eat "low calorie foods" just manage your portion sizes and avoid adding things you don't need to a meal - meat and two veg is fine, doesn't need a starchy thing with it. etc.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

fire your trainer.
    They got their education from 120 questions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
    Follow the roadmap!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Veggies! Cook with them, snack on them, toss up a quick salad! You can eat so much veggies and feel full and not add too many calories while doing it.

Anything low in fat, and anything that is unprocessed would be a great choice as well.

This advice is coming from someone whos been here since Feb and has lost 3lbs.
    Not trying to be mean but consider the source.

Dont go low fat.
    Dont cut carbs unless you have to (allergies and such).

1200 cals is all around a bad idea unless you fit into a Morbidly Obese category and even then its a bad idea.

If you want to lose fat youll find TDEE and cut a moderate deficit from there.
    If you want to go the 1200 cals route make sure you select the proper activity level:
    Sedentary for no workouts at all.
    Light for 1-3 workouts a week.
    Moderate for 3-5 workouts a week.
    Very active for 5+.
    And eat back all calories putting you at about 1600-2k cals per day.