Loose skin

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do what you can to prevent it but honestly... some people get it. Some people don't.

I personally don't have any yet, but who knows what will happen? And who cares? It's not like I'm strutting around in a bikini these days anyways.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm really worried about this too...I was 370 pounds for three years...four years later I'm down to 250. I don't have the saggy skin YET, but I know I will.

I'm 26...so I'm hoping for the best. You better believe I will try everything I can before surgery though. My mother had a tummy tuck and she looked like she just wanted to sleep forever.

Not that I have ANYTHING against skin reconstruction, I've accepted that if it bothers me when I loose this last 80 pounds, I will probably do it. Helps that insurance will cover it too because I'll have lost 205 pounds.

For everyone wondering why it's a big deal? I avoided loosing weight for years because I'd just look like a deflated balloon. People get health to feel and look better. It's a very real worry for a lot of people, and it's one of those things I don't think you can understand till you've gone through it yourself. :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yeah I avoided losing weight because I was afraid of loose skin too, it was a great excuse to sit on my *kitten* getting fatter.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost a fair bit, and I have to say I'm really happy with the way my skin is coming back...... I moisturize faithfully, which I find helps...... for those who it doesn't thanks for NOT posting.... :) and I work my abs constantly.... giving the skin some muscle to stick to really really seems to help....

I thought for a long time I was going to have to have something done surgically, I even have an appointment booked with a plastic surgeon for November, but I have a feeling he's going to send me away with a lecture about vanity :)

Good luck and happy moisturizing :)

:flowerforyou:

If a plastic surgeon sends you a away with a lecture about vanity, then he is not a very good business man! Hehe :)
  • Elkietje
    Options
    What I find helps when my skin loosens is take hot and cold showers (not the most enjoyable thing ever...). I find this helps tighten my skin. I must admit this is a bit of a slow process, but I find it works for me. It's free and it doesn't hurt to try, so I hope it might be something for you?
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Does this happen when you lose weight?

Yes it does... I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that usually when you lose 100 + lbs you will have excess skin... If you do strength training it will help a lot with the loose skin!!!
  • delight232003
    delight232003 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost a fair bit, and I have to say I'm really happy with the way my skin is coming back...... I moisturize faithfully, which I find helps...... for those who it doesn't thanks for NOT posting.... :) and I work my abs constantly.... giving the skin some muscle to stick to really really seems to help....

I thought for a long time I was going to have to have something done surgically, I even have an appointment booked with a plastic surgeon for November, but I have a feeling he's going to send me away with a lecture about vanity :)

I like seeing the posts of the people who have lost over 150 lbs. because that is about what I need to lose. I have lost 50 so far and I have lose skin. Most of my loose skin is hidden by my clothing. I loose on average about two pounds a week. I alternate cardio and strength training almost every day of the week. I moisturize every day and take Vitamin E. Did you notice loose skin at this stage (50 pounds lost)? I guess I am just hoping it will eventually go away.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    I've noticed that, after losing the weight I have, my stomach has gotten lower. Like the fat is hanging down more. I don't know
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I like seeing the posts of the people who have lost over 150 lbs. because that is about what I need to lose. I have lost 50 so far and I have lose skin. Most of my loose skin is hidden by my clothing. I loose on average about two pounds a week. I alternate cardio and strength training almost every day of the week. I moisturize every day and take Vitamin E. Did you notice loose skin at this stage (50 pounds lost)? I guess I am just hoping it will eventually go away.

yup, most of my loose skin HAS shrunk away..... there is a little "puddle" of it..... but no more rolls to tuck the TP under while I'm sitting on the can if you know what I mean.......I'm not saying it's all gone.... but if it didn't tighten up any more than it already has I could live with it :)...

I'm 44.... and I've done the impossible.... all by myself, no surgeries, no diet aids, no trainers...... I've EARNED my batwings :)
  • delight232003
    delight232003 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I thought for a long ti:smile::smile: me I was going to have to have something done surgically, I even have an appointment booked with a plastic surgeon for November, but I have a feeling he's going to send me away with a lecture about vanity :)

yup, most of my loose skin HAS shrunk away..... there is a little "puddle" of it..... but no more rolls to tuck the TP under while I'm sitting on the can if you know what I mean.......I'm not saying it's all gone.... but if it didn't tighten up any more than it already has I could live with it :)...

I'm 44.... and I've done the impossible.... all by myself, no surgeries, no diet aids, no trainers...... I've EARNED my batwings :)

Thanks! That really makes me feel better. :smile:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There appears to be a large genetic component involved. Fortunately, I have no loose skin even though I lost 100 lbs. in 6 months and am 47-years-old. I think it also depends, in part, on how long a person has been obese. I was only obese for about 4 out of 47 years. There are others who have lost weight more slowly, lost a smaller % of weight, and are much younger, but who have loose skin. It seems nearly inevitable for the majority of people who have 100 + lbs. to lose.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I too worry about this. I have lost 62 pounds since March (so 62 pounds in 6 months.) I have some loose skin in my stomach area and arms, but not too much elsewhere. I hope that my skin will tighten up. I am 22 years old and just had a baby in November last year and I have a positive feeling that I won't be stuck with the skin forever. Even if it takes a few years I think it will be okay. I'd rather have loose skin than to have fat on my body. I am hoping to lose another 40 pounds yet.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have people asking me all the time about my "lack of" loose skin and I'm like, "ARE YOU BLIND?!". I guess my clothes hide it fairly well, but I know the true horrors beneath. LOL

As awful as it is, though, it still beats the heck out of carrying all that extra weight! I let the fear of it serve as an excuse for so long and the reality is worse than I imagined, but it's still worth it!