peripheral neuropathy pain

Options
Does anyone suffer from peripheral neuropathy pain? I have pain in my legs, arms, around mouth. I also have herpedic malaysia from shingles on my chest. I have post surgery nerve pain as well and last but not least I have sciatic nerve pain. I find that water exercise is the best for me but with fall coming, I need to do different exercises. I do not have diabetes but these pains seem similar. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No, sorry I don't ...... I can't even imagine what you are going through ...... I've had shingles & sciatica, neuritis & parvo (human, not dog LOL) but it was always one illness at a time ...... and that was bad enough .....

Hope you find some relief & feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you to do for exercise but as far as the pain goes, are you on some kind of medication like Neurontin/Gabapentin for the peripheral neuropathy?
  • grandmamakathy
    Options
    My Dr. is trying me on Alpha-lipoic acid 600mg a day to see if this helps. I am supposed to let him know how things are going in a month. I have tried many med but nothing helps for very long. The Dr. says that he has a few things he can try after this. I want to find out if losing the weight will help as well. I need to lose 40 lbs.
  • grandmamakathy
    Options
    Thanks for the support.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!!
    Yes I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs plus postherpatic neuralgia in my left shoulder. This resulting from having shingles 3 times and a stroke all within a 2 year period. I had a really rough couple of years after all that but after about 3 years it started to get better. I took Neurontin & cymbalta for the pain and did lots of time in the pool because it felt so relieving to be weightless & not hold up my own weight. In the fall time I did walking & easy hiking. The pain is under control for the most part now and definitely regular exercise helps. I no longer have to take the Neurontin but I do still take the cymbalta.
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check for an indoor pool at your local Y or fitness center or thru a physical therapy center. if none of the see about a hotel with indoor pool. they may work somerhimg out for u for a small fee to just use the pool. I have sxiatic problems , pinched nerves in my back and fibromyalgia I just walk as much as I can. I didnt have much luck wIth the water work outs. Good luck!
  • alidice1
    Options
    I have RA my feet, legs, hands, and back hurt. I havent been exercising much but I want to be in better health. I lost a kidney two years ago and have not bounced back. I am determined to get better. I just have to get it together. I hope u get better.
  • PAfitgranny
    PAfitgranny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have peripheral neuropathy, but it is call Charcot Marie Tooth disease, and is a inherited neurophy. I have loss of balance, and weakness in legs and hands. Not a lot of pain with the type I have which is type 1A. I also had back surgery due to sciatic pain in both legs 3 years ago and pain is gone. I don't due much exercise due to balance issues but trying to work on more. Has the reason for your neuropathy been diagnosed? Hope you feel better.:smile: