Cardio question

Options
I've been running for a few days straight and wasn't sure if I should give myself a break like I have to do with strength training? Can I go day after day without having to take a rest day or is it something I should be doing?

My body is feeling fine, if I was feeling sick or hurting in any way I would totally rest but if I continue to feel great day after day, can I keep at this same routine?

Thanks so much! :bigsmile:

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I run every day but I don't know if I should, and I haven't lost any weight but I feel way better!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    They say you should do cardio every other day with strength training in between with a free day once a week.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You should give yourself 1-2 rest days a week, I only run 3x a week, but do other cardio the other 2-3 days a week just to switch it up. Rest days are important, but its not as vital to have at least 24 hours in between like you do with strength training.
  • jolivier43
    Options
    Hey JennS19, I have been running for the last 10 years and I have done many endurance events with most of them being running. You definately need a rest, your body will crave it after a while and thank you for it. You might feel great now but you will feel even better after a day off. I try not to run everyday but every second day. The off days I do strength training or a biking session or even a couple of laps in the pool.

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work.
  • JoannaAndBlue
    JoannaAndBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, if you are a new runner you should only run every other day. I know experienced runners that run every day. So I would listen to your body and if you start to feel any pain or soreness, especially in your calves/shins, then STOP. Rest until you have no more pain, especially shin pain. Other than that, if you can handle running every day, then more power to you. However, with running, even though it is cardio, you will still gain muscle so it is possible you may not see that you are losing weight right away, but keep going and you definitely will.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    They say you should do cardio every other day with strength training in between with a free day once a week.

I agree with this.
  • pixelsurgeon88
    pixelsurgeon88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also its really good to mix up your cardio as well!

Because.....

- It works different muscles
    - Also your body can get use to doing the same thing all the time.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You can go as many days in a row as you want. I run 5-6 days a week and lift weights 5-6 days a week. I rest when my body tells me it needs a rest. sometimes I go for two weeks without a break, usually I have one day a week. If I'm doing a heavy pyramid routine I might go 3 days then rest. I have nothing set in concrete, each day is an opportunity to workout or rest, what ever is needed. Listen to your body, it tells you what it needs.