eating to few cals- how bad is it?

Options
In the month I have been doing this I have gotten the message twice that I am eating to few calories. I didn't eat until dinner tonight and a late night snack. Is it really going to hurt me to once in a while eat to few calories? Should I go find another snack even though I am not hungry?

Replies

• sweetgapink
    Options
    Im new at this myself, but I think if you dont do it often its ok? I am learning that I need more wheat breads in my menu. So maybe what ever your lowest count is thats what you need more of..? Good luck
  • Frenchyken89
    Frenchyken89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Not meaning too, but there will be days when I'm only eating 600 calories. I know it's not good for me but like you, I'm just not hungry or am too busy I forget to eat. :ohwell:
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    in my opinion your body needs FUEL! Especially if you are training! to up your caloried effectively and with healthy things, have nuts, avo and cheese :)
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    Ok i will go have some PB with celery just to get some more protein and cals and such. Thanks for everyone input. I didn't mean to do this today just didn't feel so good earlier on and knew if I ate I would get sick. Have a great day/night.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often you are doing it. Eating so low every day is beyond unhealthy! It's downright dangerous!!! The odd day, once in a blue moon shouldn't do any harm as long as you're taking in enough fuel for the energy expenditure of your day.

Jx
  • CarlaC78
    Options
    Its bad! I have done this a few times now and weight loss stalls and you can even gain a little :( Eat those cals and even half of the exercise cals if you are munchy. Peanut butter or milk is good for you and adds up fast in the cal department if you are lots under. Here and there its fine to have too few but definately not for a sustained amount of time.
  • chachachapoi
    Options
    if you consume less calories than you expend, you WILL lose weight. This is the basic law of thermodynamics. You won't go into starvation mode and hit a plateau or significantly slow your weight loss... it is not physically possible to do if you have fat on your body.
    If it's your health you're worried about rather than your weight, you should be fine as long as you are eating plenty of vegetables and legumes, which will provide you with your daily micronutrient needs.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    An alternative is to just try it and see. Just apply a bit of analysis to the results you get, though, as if you come on saying you haven't been losing weight and have been eating 1000 calories, you can guarantee short shrift at best or a good telling off from everyone at worst.
  • ccoetzer
    ccoetzer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat like a Diabetic. Small Meals every 3 hours . For snacks try a fat free yoghurt (100 g) or a fruit the size of a tennis ball. It seems you will have to retrain your body to get hungry. If you eat every 3 hours your blood sugar stays levelled , you wont get tired after eating a meal. Try it for 2 weeks ...
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    Normally I get pretty close to my cals and such daily- but on days like today where I don't eat until dinner its hard to get enough cals, protein, carbs, etc without resorting to unhealthy foods. I never did get to have some PB on celery and in fact couldn't finish my healthy snack of carrots and celery from early this evening. This is something that happens once every few weeks at most- I know if i don't eat enough I will get hungry in the middle of the night and make some bad unhealthy choices. Thanks everyone for giving me your opinions- i have read and thought about each one.
  • xoleanne
    xoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, it's so frustrating! :(
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Couple of times a month will certainly NOT effect your metabolism.... Don't worry about it at all! X