Need to make gym sessions as useful as possible

Options
I have just joined a gym and I am already appalled at my lack of strength and fitness!
I am overweight, and I am an amputee, so I need to fill my sessions with a regime that is effective and that I can follow with my obvious restrictions.
My first goal is to lose as much fat as possible by November 7th, because I have an operation at this time. I am currently 205 lbs - 6"1 with one leg. Way too fat!
My second goal is to weight train hard after the op to replace that lost fat with muscle and start to look good.
Can anyone provide advice onn either of these goals? I have the opportunity to use the gym for an hour every morning before work...
Thanks!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    hi there, do you have a prosthetic leg? If yes, I suggest spin for the high calorie burn -- one of the best for overall weight loss. If not, I'd swim (is there a pool?)
  • Tazzmaverick
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately I do not use a prosthesis at the moment - thats part of the reason for the operation (fingers crossed!)!
    Also, the gym I have joined has no pool, although I do go once a week separately with my kids...
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until after the operation to begin weight training. You can perform many barbell movements seated, as well as the leg press. Work out a full body weight training routine to do 3 days a week, and do some cardio on the other days and you will see some pretty good weight loss if you train hard. Suggestions:Bench press, seated overhead press, seated rows (not a rowing machine), pull ups, seated upright rows, leg press, leg curls, dumb bell curls...and for cardio, swimming is good, also look into using rowing machines and a recumbent exercise bike. Good luck with your op.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I weigh only slightly less than you and am 5" 3 and didn't want to finish losing weight before starting weights. I love it! Great suggestions by Wmagoo.
  • Tazzmaverick
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I find cardio difficult except for the swimming, as even the rowing machine quickly tires out my leg and seems unbalanced...
    The program I am (sort of!) following at the moment contains all the excercies you mentioned, so I guess I am doing the right thing already. Just need to keep at it!

Cheers,