Runners: Pre & Post Stretches for the KNEE!!!

Options
I run 4 miles usually 5 times a week & my knees bug the crap out of me for the first few minutes!! Maybe I should stretch for 5 mins but I don't. Usually I only kick a lot before a run & reach down my toes. Tell me what you guys do before & after a run please!!

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Is it the knee cap area or the backs of the knees that are bothering you those first few minutes? If it is the kneecap, odds are your quads are tight-so stretch the quads. If it is the back of the knee, stretch the calf muscles and the hamstrings.
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm having some of that right now too. I just kick a lot too :) ie. leg swings. Our running club coach has 80 leg swings she 'makes' us do before speed workouts, 4x10 each leg while holding onto a fence or pole. Front to back, side to side, and figure 8s (lateral) both directions. So: dynamic stretching before (or 2-3 minutes into) the run. I'm usually pretty good at stretching after my long runs but still this knee thing is creeping in. But not getting worse.
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will look up stretches for those muscles
  • WCSU1987
    Options
    Could be shoes? I do get the crack in the knees if I don't extend and flex them before a run. Except have some unusual habits before a run: take a hot shower or clean the house so I am moving before a run.