What could your gym do for you?

Options
Hey y'all

I'm brainstorming some good ideas of what kind of things my gym could offer me online that would make me love it more. Living healthy and fit is way more than just the time you spend at the gym so I'm thinking of the surrounding experience that a gym could support more, even when you're not there, ideas so far:

- Healthy recipes
- Helping you find other members who you can train with
- Latest science and studies
- MUSIC - making playlists, maybe even shared ones on spotify
- Competitions against other members
- Lunch time work out (like a 15 min power thing, do it right now) etc.

This is for a job interview and hopefully things I can bring to the real gym (when I get the job :P) so let me know if you have anything you can think of that your gym could do for you, when you're not necessarily there!

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Love idea of finding a compatible training buddy. They could put a link to mfp on their website x
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Love idea of finding a compatible training buddy. They could put a link to mfp on their website x

Me too! It would be great for shy people!
  • WCSU1987
    Options
    I go to the YMCA. I have been to other gyms and they had good employees and machines. However, the Y fixed their parking problem hands down favorite gym in the area. New machines, TRX equipment, Biggest Looser like competition, Spinning Class, Running club, road races, personal trainers, baby sitters, and triathlon club. If they can incorporate adult adventure outings: ski, kayak, hiking trips, so forth be awesome. Single fitness workout. Outdoor fitness classes. Pick your own playlist and listen via headphones. Mire swimming lessons for adults. Small things, but good gym so far.
  • Hey y'all

I'm brainstorming some good ideas of what kind of things my gym could offer me online that would make me love it more. Living healthy and fit is way more than just the time you spend at the gym so I'm thinking of the surrounding experience that a gym could support more, even when you're not there, ideas so far:

- Healthy recipes
    - Helping you find other members who you can train with
    - Latest science and studies
    - MUSIC - making playlists, maybe even shared ones on spotify
    - Competitions against other members
    - Lunch time work out (like a 15 min power thing, do it right now) etc.

This is for a job interview and hopefully things I can bring to the real gym (when I get the job :P) so let me know if you have anything you can think of that your gym could do for you, when you're not necessarily there!

That all sound's amazing!!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA. I have been to other gyms and they had good employees and machines. However, the Y fixed their parking problem hands down favorite gym in the area. New machines, TRX equipment, Biggest Looser like competition, Spinning Class, Running club, road races, personal trainers, baby sitters, and triathlon club. If they can incorporate adult adventure outings: ski, kayak, hiking trips, so forth be awesome. Single fitness workout. Outdoor fitness classes. Pick your own playlist and listen via headphones. Mire swimming lessons for adults. Small things, but good gym so far.

^^

This!

And my Y also has Zumba, bootcamp, Girls on the Run, and many other classes such as yoga, pilates, etc. Hands down the best gym.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    In response to your question.....all the things you listed are good. I also like being able to view information about the classes and decide if it is for me or not.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My gym has a competition against other members... It's called the Xsport Get Fit Challenge. Basically whoever loses the largest percentage of weight(I believe) wins. The grand prize is like 10,000 and a free membership for a year.

Gym buddy, I don't think I would use. I prefer to workout alone, and that is also why I hired a personal trainer.

Music, I can do on my own... all though it would be nice if the gym let members pick the music actually played in the gym.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they could offer information on how to use certain machines, proper form on lifting weights, sample routines, tips for people who have just started going to the gym, classes targeted to the obese, support group meetings for people trying to lose weight, etc.
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My gym (well, I believe it is more of a health club) is nationwide in the US. There are several locations within my state alone and in my metropolitan area. I like that they have an Iphone app with all the locations group fitness class schedules on it. It makes it very convenient when you are on the go to find a club that is close to where you are that day that may be offering a class you want to get to!!

Also, they have eucalyptus steam rooms in the lockers rooms and they have always been one of my favorite amenities to use after a long workout, especially on a cold Minnesota day!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys awesome ideas, I'm just about to go off to the interview - fingers crossed!! x