Protein

Options
Hi All,

After reading through various threads I think I need to up my protein intake, currently MFP is set at 50g for me but I have about 65g daily which I do not think is enough?

I'm 5'2 and currently weigh 126lb, I do 1hr cardio 5 x a week, strength training 2/3 x a week and are currently doing 30 day shred.

Does anyone know what my protein intake should be? and will increasing my protein help me to lose the weight?

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Increasing your protein will not directly help you lose weight. However, if you increase your protein you will have to lower fat or carbs or both in order to stay within your calories. I would aim for close to 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Some people will say 1g per pound of lean body mass. Either one will be more than you are getting now. If you aim for .75 to 1g per pound of body weight you should be fine.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    1g per pound of lean body weight, or 0.6 of total body weight :-)
  • kais79
    kais79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this as well; does it apply the same for someone weighing 356? That would be over 200g a day...
  • Taundry
    Options
    Thank you :smile: I was thinking of maybe having a protein shake after a workout for my exercise calories and hopefully that should also bring me up to about 80g a day :wink:
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Kais, my protein intake is 241g per day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this as well; does it apply the same for someone weighing 356? That would be over 200g a day...
    The 1g per lb of lean weight is probably the one to use

Someone at 356 is likely to be at least 50% fat ? so less than 175g of protein
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I go for at least 1g per lb of body weight (total). I can fit this in with my diet fine with a protein shake or two and while I'm not doing a massive amount of strength stuff, am getting some fairly defined arms (If I hold them at just the right angle in just the right light :P ) while losing weight.
  • Tokkeditok
    Options
    I do light weight training and I am consumind 105grams of protein, which is a bit more than 1gram of protein per pound. I have to say that I feel better cutting back on carbs and eating more fat and protein because after a meal, I'm full for at least 4 hours. If I eat lots of carbs, I tend to get hungry very soon after my meal.
  • kais79
    kais79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The 1g per lb of lean weight is probably the one to use

Someone at 356 is likely to be at least 50% fat ? so less than 175g of protein

Actually my body fat percentage is about 33% from the calculators I have used... so that puts my lean muscle at about 236 lbs.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    I have no idea what my BF% is. I do know that I weigh 241 pounds and I shoot for 240g of protein per day. At 356, 356g might be a little much although there is alot of evidence that 1g per pound of body weight it fine. If I was you I would try to get 270-300g of protein per day.