Never eat my 5 a day...

Options
I always struggle to eat my 5 a day. I don't really like fruit and don't want to waste calories on something I don't enjoy and which really doesn't fill me (and which always pushes me over my sugar levels when I do have it). And I don't really like eating veg unless I have a sunday dinner type meal. Being veggie, I don't often have that type of meal as it doesn't excite me like it does a meat eater.
What I guess I'm trying to say is - are there any others out there like this and have you ever found it is doing you any harm? I am perfectly healthy, not overweight (although I used to be years ago when I was a meat eater - don't know why becoming veggie dropped my weight but it did), have a good BMI and most of you are probably saying well what the hell you on here for then?! I still think this is a useful tool to keep on the straight and narrow sometimes. I know they say fruit and veg is your fibre but I get fibre from wholegrains.
I always doubt research that says you should be eating this and shouldn't be eating that. Cos god knows, in ten years time, they'll likely turn round and change their minds. So I tend to plod on, not eating 5 a day. But every now and then, when I hear it mentioned, a little bit of guilt creeps my way.
I've tried to think of foods I might enjoy that aren't classed as your typical fruit and veg that would count as one of your five. Like olives, I like olives and they're classed as one. I think I read somewhere that nuts are classed as one?
And then I don't get why they say you can't have 2 portions of the same thing as that's then only classed as one and not two?
I had thought about getting a juicer to make a juice that would have 5 in it and therefore get it all done in one go but then I looked at the sugar and calorie content of natural juices and it's ridiculous.
Anyone get their 5 a day in a different kind of way or by eating anything unusual we wouldn't think was a fruit or veg?

Replies

• Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How can you be a "veggie" if you don't eat veg.What DO you eat?!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx might help and has an enquiry email at the bottom.

5 a day is mainly about getting a range of micronutrients and chemicals that help your health - the sugar in fruit is no more helpful than the starch in a potato (which doesn't count in 5 a day) but it's the "other stuff" in the fruit that works. Berries are low sugar / calorie and in general eat things of different colours.

I am wondering what you do actually eat :-)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Potatoes, rice, pasta, cheese, meat substitutes etc.

I know plenty of 'junk food vegetarians'.

OP. Maybe make some chocolate beetroot brownies, add dried fruit to your cereal, some fruit juice. Baked beans are 1 of your 5 a day as is tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce weirdly.
  • Lisamar74
    Options

Veggie doesn't mean eating veg you know?! Actually, I am technically known as a pescetarian as I eat fish and no meat.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    For those asking what I eat, I eat alot of fish, eggs, pasta, quorn products, beans, nuts.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So...you're a vegetarian...who doesn't like fruits or vegetables? Whaaa....?

I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but I don't know how to get my head around that....
  • gobifree59
    gobifree59 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How about making a smoothie with some fruits? Don't add any sweetener (honey, etc.) if you're afraid of the sugar. However, natural sugars in fruits are good for you, provided you don't overeat fruits and the fiber is a must for good colon health Do you eat yogurt? Add some fruit (peaches, berries) to plain, Greek yogurt. You said you like grains---make a salad with grains and add some tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, (You have tabouleh!). I make a black bean salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and cilantro and add a little balsalmic vinagrette---lots of fiber in it which helps me feel full! Experiment! Good luck.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    How about making a smoothie with some fruits? Don't add any sweetener (honey, etc.) if you're afraid of the sugar. However, natural sugars in fruits are good for you, provided you don't overeat fruits and the fiber is a must for good colon health Do you eat yogurt? Add some fruit (peaches, berries) to plain, Greek yogurt. You said you like grains---make a salad with grains and add some tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, (You have tabouleh!). I make a black bean salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and cilantro and add a little balsalmic vinagrette---lots of fiber in it which helps me feel full! Experiment! Good luck.

Yes, a kind of bean salad is a good idea. That would be easy enough to eat as a snack. Thanks!
  • Lisamar74
    Options

I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but I don't know how to get my head around that....

There's lots of other food stuff besides fruit and veg - fish, eggs, cereal, yoghurt, quorn, pasta, rice. I'm not saying I don't ever touch fruit or veg! I will have the odd portion of peas with my fish pasta and I eat a spinach omelette every day (but the amount of spinach you have to eat to make it one whole portion is way too much to make an omelette with - in fact way too much for anyone to eat in one day).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You could avoid the fruit sugars by making a vegetable juice/ smoothie instead - cucumber, spinach, kale etc are all very low in boths cals and sugars, but really good on the other nutrients (iron especially, can be trciky to get enough if you're a vegetarian)

Do you use onion and garlic when making a pasta sauce? Or tinned tomatoes in any recipes?

Beans, has already been mentioned as counting - that includes dips like humous, or dishes like falafel.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx might help and has an enquiry email at the bottom.

5 a day is mainly about getting a range of micronutrients and chemicals that help your health - the sugar in fruit is no more helpful than the starch in a potato (which doesn't count in 5 a day) but it's the "other stuff" in the fruit that works. Berries are low sugar / calorie and in general eat things of different colours.

I am wondering what you do actually eat :-)

This is so helpful, thanks!!!! I can see some stuff on here that I would enjoy!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    While you sound like you're fine now, there are health benefits to getting your 5 a day, so it would a good thing to crack.

I totally agree with you about fruit and especially fruit juice - however one of the changes I've made since joining MFP is to have some fruit in my diet, aiming for one serving (an apple or nectarine, grapes or cherries) a day although I don't always succeed! I'm just not in the habit of eating fruit and while I don't really dislike it I don't enjoy it enough to actively seek it out either!

Are there any veg that you do like? You say you eat them as part of a Sunday roast, so clearly you don't hate them, maybe you could just start incoporating them in your everyday diet?

Beans and lentils are good and count as one of your 5 a day.

I don't much like plain boiled veg - I put mine in casseroles, I roast them, and I have salads beased on pasta/rice/cous cous with a lot of veg added.

If I have a sandwich I add some tomato, cucumber or spinach to it.

And I love red cabbage cooked with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, either hot or cold with beetroot added.

Try doing a meal planner for a week incorporating 5 a day, it might make you think of creative ways of reaching this target.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

There's lots of other food stuff besides fruit and veg - fish, eggs, cereal, yoghurt, quorn, pasta, rice. I'm not saying I don't ever touch fruit or veg! I will have the odd portion of peas with my fish pasta and I eat a spinach omelette every day (but the amount of spinach you have to eat to make it one whole portion is way too much to make an omelette with - in fact way too much for anyone to eat in one day).

Sorry....like I said, didn't mean to sound like a jerk...lol. I don't think I could ever be a vegeterian, but I admire the people who do it right, and for the right reasons.
  • gobifree59
    gobifree59 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    And you mentioned you eat eggs---maybe try some salsa on top of scrambled eggs? An online recipe website I really love is:
    www.allrecipes.com Type in some foods you like to see ideas. People will review the recipe and add their own thoughts on how they changed it. It's good for ideas.
  • dustygn
    dustygn Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Veggie doesn't mean eating veg you know?! Actually, I am technically known as a pescetarian as I eat fish and no meat.

I'm a pescetarian 'junk' food eater as well. I eat a lot of bread, fish, rice, curries, and pasta. So yeah you're not alone. Am looking out for advice too. I'm looking into incorporating the odd vege/fruit smoothie to help make up for it. You can pack a lot of goodness in one smoothie, and can double as a light meal.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    While you sound like you're fine now, there are health benefits to getting your 5 a day, so it would a good thing to crack.

I totally agree with you about fruit and especially fruit juice - however one of the changes I've made since joining MFP is to have some fruit in my diet, aiming for one serving (an apple or nectarine, grapes or cherries) a day although I don't always succeed! I'm just not in the habit of eating fruit and while I don't really dislike it I don't enjoy it enough to actively seek it out either!

Are there any veg that you do like? You say you eat them as part of a Sunday roast, so clearly you don't hate them, maybe you could just start incoporating them in your everyday diet?

Beans and lentils are good and count as one of your 5 a day.

I don't much like plain boiled veg - I put mine in casseroles, I roast them, and I have salads beased on pasta/rice/cous cous with a lot of veg added.

If I have a sandwich I add some tomato, cucumber or spinach to it.

And I love red cabbage cooked with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, either hot or cold with beetroot added.

Try doing a meal planner for a week incorporating 5 a day, it might make you think of creative ways of reaching this target.

Thanks! This is helpful, gives me some ideas. I do have sandwiches with tomatoes etc but I think what people don't realise is you need to eat more than what you'd generally put in a sandwich to make it one of your 5 a day. I eat spinach every day an omelette but the amount of spinach you're meant to have to make it one of your day is practically a full bag of it which surely no one wants to eat in one day?!
    I think the way forward for me is by eating more casserole type dishes, as you've suggested. And I do prefer tinned fruit as to fresh fruit which I've just found still counts as one of your 5 so I'll give that a bash!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh and how about making soup?

Yes I realise that portion size is an issue, but you dont have to have whole portions in one sitting - 10 half portions is the same as 5 full ones, and probably better for as there's more variety.

If you'd like to have a nose through my diary send me friend request, I'm not vegetarian but you might get some ideas
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can have tomato as a side to a sandwich
    like you said, you need a lot of tomato to make 1 a day,
    I cut it in pieces (same for cucumber, or baby carrot) and have it as a side to my regular sandwich.
    I medium tomato and half of cucumber should be around 3 of the 5 a day.

Also eat salads - 1 salad every day, can be simple, just lettuce, some olives and tomato,

and if you like spinach then maybe try cooked spinach - once cooked 100g grams is less then a handful
    (I cook mine for 5 min, add some garlic and a bit of butter)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My lunch is Sticky chilli quorn fillets, couscous and roasted Mediterranean veg, could you do something like that.

Vegetable curry, loads of veg, lentils and curry powder, easy peasy. Veggie chilli, stuff like that. You don't have to eat veg, boiled, on a plate, dress it up.
  • AnneM69
    Options
    Do you eat seafood, as well as fish? If you do, you can get some marinara mix and make a curry with that and lots of veggies - I like onion, carrot, tomato, pumpkin, and either frozen spinach or peas, beans are nice too. Get a small can of low-fat coconut milk or some powdered coconut milk - the fat is good for you anyway.