Such a thing as good sugar??

Options
I am stuggling to stay under my sugar count for the day... But what i am wondering is...say sugar from real orange juice considered bad sugar?? or is this sugar ok in quantities?? Some one help... Need a lesson in sugars...Tips pointers, information, anything will help thanks.:smile:

Replies

• tamarads
    Options
    Check out this thread there is some good advice there... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79671-sugar-is-not-your-friend-part-2:smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    A gram of fructose (the type of sugar in fruit) from an apple is generally, I think, regarded as healthier compared to a gram of sucrose (table sugar) because the fructose comes with an apple, whereas the table sugar probably comes from a cookie or slice of cake.

Edit: At least that's my (pitiful) understanding of the subject.
  • lors624
    Options
    I struggle with this same issue and recently discussed it with a friend who is diabetic. After our conversation I felt like sugar overall was not my enemy. ADDED sugar and PROCESSED sugar are the enemy.

So, while I will indulge in a piece of dark chocolate each night and a cookie or ice cream on occasion, I limit my daily food intake to only natural sugar whenever possible (fruits, vegetables, etc). I usually run about 50% over my sugar "goal" according to this website.

Since beginning my reformed eating habits I have noticed my cravings for sweets have lessened. And, I enjoy my little splurges much more than when I was eating cake, etc. on a regular basis. I am planning on seeing my doctor at the beginning of April (after 3 months of the new diet) and having blood work done. If my sugars come back normal, I will continue like I have been eating. If they are high, I will adjust from there.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    natural sugars in food such as fruits and veggies are good sugars. It basically means that your body naturally breaks them down easier. Sugars found in cake and cookies are processed sugars which your body has a harder time breaking down and will eventually turn to fat. A good natural sugar is honey, i use it in stir-frys and since it is easily broken down and adds a sweet flavor it is good all around. I also have a hard time staying at or under my sugars for the day but I don't fret whenthey come from fruits and veggies. For some good sugar free snack i recommend sugar free pudding cups, or sugar-free klondike ice cream sandwiches. Chocoalte is the worst thing to say no to but I don't have to with these always at hand. I can have both and be at 160 calories with no sugar, then I will usually have baby carrots with garlic hummus. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!
  • brittvdub_09
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one going over the sugar limit! It can be so difficult. These tips were really helpful!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    natural sugars in food such as fruits and veggies are good sugars. It basically means that your body naturally breaks them down easier. Sugars found in cake and cookies are processed sugars which your body has a harder time breaking down and will eventually turn to fat.

I think this is a common misconception. Fructose is fructose and sucrose is sucrose regardless of whether they've been forumulated in a lab or they're "natural." Your body breaks down fructose from fruit exactly the same as it would break down fructose made in a lab because molecularly they'd be exactly the same. Same goes for sucrose. Someone please correct me (with scientific evidence) if I'm wrong.

Now there IS a difference between how your body breaks down fructose and how it breaks down sucrose. But that cookie could, theoretically, be made with HFCS, and then you're just talking about fruit fructose vs. cookie fructose and, like I said above, your body would break all of it down the same.... because fructose is fructose is fructose.