Recovering From Overeating

Options
I get that when you overeat you shouldn't lose sight of your goals and basically restart the next day right. I've recently tried to keep the mindset that as long as I have a deficit in the week I'm still on track.

But I also remember hearing that if you eat junk/overeat, it delays your goals- basically takes you few days to recover. Thoughts??

Replies

• aquamarine78
    Options
    I am actually curious about this as well. I was doing really well throughout the week but kind of fell off the wagon this weekend. I would also like to know what people sayabout how to recover and get back on track.
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Agreed! Bump :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I agree. My experience has been that even if I technically stay at the target calories, if I consume the wrong kind of calories i can actually see a weight gain for a few days. This seems to occur when I try to eat back some exercise calories, which can be double my baseline goal for the day.
    This weekend was my wife's birthday. I had a couple small pieces of cheese cake. A rare indulgence. Feeling it today. But I hope to be back on track ofter the Y tonight. Swim and weights.
    I also have to get more precise about measuring some of the calories dense food items like blue cheese dressing.
    I haven't overeaten, like my days of attending the Karen Carpenter School of Diet, in some time. But grazing creeped up on my over time. That is what I have to watch out for now.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i would like to know as well since i was 507 calories over my goal last night! i plan on exercising extra this week to make up for those calories and burn that off plus my calorie goal needed per day.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Processed foods have more sodium than real foods.
    Also the higher carb, low protein do not keep you full for long, so there is the tendency to over indulge.
    I find that if I can eat fresh foods 80% of the time, my weight loss is more successful... than if I treat every calorie the same.

And always, always keep your water intake up to flush your system...
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's more a thought of don't get overly stressed because you've not been the pure, clean eating soul you think you should be.

Yes it may be a bit of a pause in your progress but it's not the end of the world. You're changing the way you eat long term, not just till you hit target, then back to the old ways.

The weight gain could be excess water (salt) or just natural fluctuation and the extra training results could be the same in reverse (I'm talking short term obviously over the long term every little helps), remember that humans are fantastic at seeing the patterns you want and expect.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    IMHO - If it fits into your macros then there really shouldn't be a problem. There also isn't a problem reading your numbers in a weekly manner. It depends on what works for you. Some people subscribe to the Twinkie diet. Personally, if I stay within my calories but go excessively over in carbs and/or fat, then I won't see the same kind of weight loss than if I stayed within all of my macros. Then when I clean up, I lose a little more. Remember, 1 lbs of fat = 3500 calories over your TDEE.

Again, it depends on what works for you. Some people are sensitive to sodium and bloat and retain water for days after a Chinese buffet, even if they didn't eat 3500 extra calories. Other people have health conditions that require them to eat lower carbs. Generally, if you stay within your calories, drink lots of water, and stay active, things should work out.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It just delays you, either by having to burn those extra calories, or if you did hit your weekly target, the delay isn't real its just the extra water you are holding, that usually doesn't go until you reach a certain point of fat burning (and then you have a big weight loss one night) and once the water goes you are right where you would've been.