Quinoa Recipes Please!!!!

Options
McFatterton
McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
Do any of you have any quinoa recipes?? I'm new to quinoa and would love some tasty recipes - I made it for the first time tonight and can't wait to try more recipes. I would prefer vegetarian recipes but can easily omit meat if it's included.

Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• erussell
    Options
    I love quinoa too! You can use it like a hot cereal with your favorite add ins. We also eat it as a side dish instead of rice, with a little Bragg's amino or butter substitute and seasoning. You can use it in cold salads, there is one I am making tonight but I don't have the recipe with me right now. It has quinoa, black beans, tomato, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, etc.
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of using it like a cold rice salad.

I just made it today mixed with cooked onions and peppers, not bad.

Any other thoughts out there? My nutritionalist recommended I steer away from grains but is OK with quinoa.

Any creative ideas?
  • femalearcher
    Options
    Can i ask why your nutritionalist recommended you stay away from grains??
  • joleone
    Options
    This is a Weight Watcher's recipe and it is delicious! 1 WW point per serving. I add grape tomatoes and saute with the onions and garlic.
    Quinoa and Spinach
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion(s), minced
    1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    1 cup(s) quinoa, rinsed (or purchase pre-rinsed quinoa)*
    2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
    4 cup(s) spinach, baby leaves, packed, coarsely chopped
    1/2 tsp table salt
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add quinoa to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa starts to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
    Add broth, black pepper and red pepper flakes to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low and simmer for 13 minutes; stir in spinach. Cover skillet and cook until spinach and quinoa are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can i ask why your nutritionalist recommended you stay away from grains??

Why yes you can! It is a recommendation as my body doesn't break down foods very well. For example, my pancreas doesn't produce enough enzymes to break down food well, so she is getting me on supplements to assist.

She feels staying away from grains for the next couple of months will help as they can be more difficult to break down.

She did say long grain brown rice in moderation is OK as well.

This is new info to me so just doing as told.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I wrote a recipe for quinoa pilaf that I'm making for the first time tonight. If I like it, I'll share!! I love rice pilaf, so I have high hopes for this!!
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Google it! There are a ton of recipes out there. I'm pretty sure there are even pages just dedicated to Quinoa! Just a thought make sure you read you labels if you get boxed quinoa and if you get it in bulk you may want to rinse it before you eat it. There's a natural pesticide on it and it will taste bad if you don't rinse it. I get mine in a box and it is all prerinsed which is great because if it's not it's like little foam balls that go EVERYWHERE!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I add quinoa instead of noodles or rice in my soups...love it!
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    you can always try allrecipes.com---just go to the ingredient page and put in quinoa......it's a great site for that kind of stuff, or if you have a few random items in the fridge and no creativity on what to do with them! :)
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa too, but I am very basic when it comes to making it. I prefer Quinoa made with low sodium chicken broth instead of water. My favorite add-in are canned mushrooms, but I also like to mix in corn and/or peas.

I often have Quinoa for lunch, because it is high in protien and filling. Plus, it is good cold so I don't have to worry about access to a microwave.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I make mine with chicken broth...Put chicken broth (or stock) cumin, chili powder, garlic and pepper to taste and bring to a boil....add your Quinoa and cook.....Wow, the flavors are amazing......sometimes in a separate pan, I saute diced carrots, onions and tomatoes, and add that in after its done for an AMAZING side dish........
  • Stephanie101
    Options
    Oh that sounds delicious Melissa, Definitely going to have to try that!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I love eating it cold with colored peppers, low fat feta, tomatoes and black beans. Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    I make mine with a tbsp of peanut butter and a whole banana or with one apple and some cinnamon.
    God bless,
    Karen
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to find it. I've looked at the Walmart grocery store are and had no luck. Unless I'm looking in the wrong area. Where do you find it at?
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here's my fave:

Quinoa With Chickpeas
    Serves 8 - can easily be cut in half or quarter to make a smaller batch

Ingredients
    2 cups quinoa
    4 cups vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup canned chick-peas
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Directions
    1. Cook quinoa according to package directions using vegetable stock in place of water and adding olive oil.
    2. Once cooked, fluff with fork and toss with chickpeas and parsley.

I got this recipe off Recipezaar and it's in the database under Catherine's Homemade - Recipezaar - Quinoa With Chickpeas. Each serving comes in at 225 cals.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to find it. I've looked at the Walmart grocery store are and had no luck. Unless I'm looking in the wrong area. Where do you find it at?

I get mine in the health food section of my grocery store in the grain aisle. I've also purchased it in bulk stores. I've never seen it at my local Wal-Mart .... but if they do carry it I think it would be in the section where the rices are.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice or pasta in recipes. It pretty much goes with everyhing, hot or cold.

The vegetarian place by my house makes it with veggie broth and puts a little tahini dressing on top. That with a salad and some tofu is one of my favorite meals.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I ever shared this, so I'm going to now. It's my FAVORITE quinoa recipe...and I'm eating it as I type :)

Greek Style Quinoa

Ingredients
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    3 tbsp. olive oil
    ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 clove garlic, minced or pressed in a garlic press
    ¼ cup kalamata olives
    1 bunch scallions, chopped
    1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
    7 ounces sheep's milk feta cheese, cubed
    ¼ cup diced red onion
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Place quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water. Add water and quinoa to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes until quinoa is almost translucent.
    Spread cooked quinoa on a large dinner plate and place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. Toss with quinoa.
    Add olives, scallions, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, and red onion; gently mix ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

-I also added cucumber this time which was delicious.