kale recipes

Options
I bought a bunch of kale thinking I could use it raw to add some variety to my salads, but I don't like how it tastes raw in salads. Any good ideas what I could do with it? I made zuppa toscana (like the Olive Garden soup) with it today, but I have a lot left over!

thanks!

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I actually just read something to do with it a day or two ago... let me see if I can find it and I'll brb!

edit: How's that for quick!

To temper kale's bitter taste, gently sauté it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, and pine nuts.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like kale in smoothies
  • pocostef
    Options
    Are you sure you don't like it in a salad? It's great chopped small with Bragg or Maggi seasoning on it (Bragg is way better for you). Add some sunflower seeds and grated carrot. They make this salad at Planet Organic.
  • Hiphokie
    Hiphokie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cookus Interruptus (www.cookusinterruptus.com) has a great massaged kale recipe!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    try this.
    1. Sautee a few chopped onions.
    2. Chop up kale and throw in on top of onions
    3. Add a small amount of vegetable stock (like 1/2 cup)
    4. Simmer/steam for a while.
    5. Add some splashes of balsamic
    6. Serve.

You could also add a little garlic with the onions too.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips!

Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Remove stems from kale, break into larger than bite-sized pieces and lay them on a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the with the cooking spray and sprinkle whatever seasoning you like (salt, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic, etc) or leave them unseasoned. Bake at 450* for about 5-10 minutes, flip and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. They get crispy like a chip! Just be sure to keep an eye on them - they go from golden to black VERY quickly.
  • Angelindiego
    Options
    I love Kale, but I have to say, the kale in a smoothie is AWESOME and so pretty!! I like it with bananas and grapes. YUMMY!!!!
  • ciciquick
    Options
    Kale Chips!

Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Remove stems from kale, break into larger than bite-sized pieces and lay them on a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the with the cooking spray and sprinkle whatever seasoning you like (salt, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic, etc) or leave them unseasoned. Bake at 450* for about 5-10 minutes, flip and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. They get crispy like a chip! Just be sure to keep an eye on them - they go from golden to black VERY quickly.

holy crap! i'm doing this tonight! great idea!
  • marujita
    Options
    great ideas, thanks a lot!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Ohh... I love the recipe for the Zuppa Toscana soup they serve at Olive Garden, and it includes kale!

1 (16 ounce) package Jimmy Dean's regular sausage
    3-4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    6 slices bacon (optional, I do not use the bacon)
    bacon is NOT included in serving information below
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (fresh garlic)
    2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
    2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
    1 quart water
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Place sausage in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until sausage is cooked.
    Place water in a pot and add garlic,onions, chicken base or bouillon, water, and potatoes, simmer 20-35 minutes
    Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
    (Bacon needs to be fully cooked before adding, if you choose to add bacon)

Amount Per Serving

SERVING SIZE: approx 1 CUP
    Approx 14 servings per recipe

Calories 165.1
    Total Fat 13.2 g
    Sodium 131.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 0.6 g
    Protein 5.5 g
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My two favorite uses:
    1. steam it in a foil pack in the oven with fish. Use the kale as a bed for the fish, with salt, pepper, lemon & ginger - simple but takes the bitterness away. the kale wilts & gets nice and soft. Add some cherry tomatoes to the pack for extra sweetness.
    2. Juice it - 3-4 leaves with cucumber & apple & lemon & ginger is delicious
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zuppa Toscana Soup!
  • HEasom
    HEasom Posts: 16
    Options
    hello, i brought some kale last week and found a kale and pasta recipe on the bbc good food website and adapted it a little.
    here is the link.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/330612/pasta-with-kale-garlic-and-chilli

i was naughty though and added a little bit of mascapone and a tomato sauce. and used wholewheat pasta instead.

bbc good food is a really good website i always use it when i buy something new and need some inspiration. I also plan on making caldo verde soup with the rest of the kale tonight as i plan on going out for lunch and make the most of this beautiful day in england.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you eat potatoes, you can add it to your mash to make colcannon. Just boil your potatoes, drain and mash as usual, reserving water. Add kale and onions to reserved water, boil til tender, and add to mashed potatoes. Season as desired.