I need to Strengthen my Back

Options
How do I do this?

My back has been broken twice....across the shoulders...and in the very low back about waist level or lower. Ive spent years having this repaired and learning to deal with it. Obviously the extra weight isnt helping so Im on that journey and have lost 50+ lbs in the last 60 days. Ive started a circuit weight training workout, slowly and it's helping. However.....what I want is to strengthen my back so that I can begin walking again. I cant stand or walk any distance to speak of right now owing to the injuries and repairs and repeated down time.

12 years ago i lost 100lbs in 8 months "just" walking. Then I trashed both knees and had 10 surgeries to fix em and 6 surgeries in the following few years that got me to where I am now.

I need ideas, and support, not criticism. Please be kind

Replies

• paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't really have experience with back problems but I used to do yoga and there used to be some people with similar injuries. Have you tried yoga and pilates
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    With all of your various injuries, you really need to ask a physical therapist for a routine that can take all of your injuries into account. Not an Internet forum. You really do need to see a professional.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the pool?

My friend with congenital back problems was told to use the pool for resistance training when his back can't take the weight.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are good but with your previous injuries I think you might need an expert opinion.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is not easy, and really something you should get expert help, face to face, to deal with. But if that isn't an option:

Pilates is an exercize system designed to treat injuries. Read up on the history of Joseph Pilates and his struggles to regain strength and symmetry in his body. It strengthens the core muscles, which basically means the corset of muscles that hugs and supperts your torso. This is the area you need to have strengthened in order to have less pain and be able to stand up and possibly walk.

While there are a lot of very fancy machines designed to assist with this, there is also a mat program of exercizes you can do laying down. You use the weight and counterweight of your own body. The catch is that you need to do each exercize correctly in order to get the best benefit from them all, so if you can afford some time with a trainer in the start, that will be of great help to you.

There are books and DVDs on how to do this, and you need very little equipment, just a good exercise mat and enough space to swing your arms and kick your legs.

Good luck!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your input and will check out each suggestion. My physical therapist says to "just walk". Hes the one that got me started on this circuit weight training thing using various sizes of dumbbells and that parts working. I love the "speed" and variation involved with it. I started the CT about a month ago and have only missed a couple days since.

thanks for being here
  • Chunk2206
    Options
    I have back problems but nowhere near the scale of yours. My physical therapist told me that it was about strengthening the core muscles which is the muscle group that supports the back. I'm no expert by any stretch but I would suggest swimming as it's not an activity that will put a lot of strain or high impact on the damaged parts. It's great at strengthening all the muscles including those in your core as well.

I do agree that it might be a good idea to speak to a physical therapist because there are some gental exercises which would improve the muscles as well. I found that I had to build up really gradually as I tried yoga and it caused too much pain. These little exercises really helped for me to get a better range of motion and slowly strengthening everything.

Good luck and I hope things improve.
  • vbutlerb
    vbutlerb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The title caught my attention since I have battled back issues for over 25 years now. My surgein told me way back thrn to walk three miles a day. I was too busy. But if I had known then what I know and have experienced until now...I would have sought out an excercise physiologist. A few years ago while at a very low point physically', I discovered Anat Baniel. I tried her free sample DVD 's first and was so impressed that I bought her DVD on Healthy Backs. It made an enormous difference. My posture had gotten do bad from weak core muscles that walking was too painful. Now I sm doing the DVD on Back Pain and Scoliosis. I don't have scoliosis but she states thst snyone suffering from back pain csn benefit from the core moves which are milder than pilates. Pilates snd Yoga are too much for me these days. But Baniel's method strengthrns me wiyhout injury. Several typos here due to this keyboard. ..has a wandering cursor.
  • Meadows_Mommy05
    Options
    Pools exercises are great for joints and backs- I did Hydro therapy for my sciatica. Just don't over do it with anything you do! Slow and steady! And Congrats on the weight loss that is GREAT!

Best of luck to ya-
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    With all of your various injuries, you really need to ask a physical therapist for a routine that can take all of your injuries into account. Not an Internet forum. You really do need to see a professional.

this for sure.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only read OP. The best place to start would probably be with a medical professional telling you what is safe to do. As far as general back strengthening, Deadlifts, hyperextentions, good mornings, any rowing movement, and vertical pulling movement. Some ab work might help as well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

this for sure.

Agreed. We're all experts, obviously, but not the type of expert you need.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist says to do "what feels comfortable"...and doesnt hurt. My first thought was WTF does THAT mean?

His attitude just kinda threw me off.....But I refuse to let his attitude stop me. I AM AND WILL DO THIS.

What I kinda wanted from all of ya here is things I can do from home. I do work full time and then some. I crash early because Im up early (130--230am) I love doing the little circuit weight training in the evenings that Ive been doing and just want to expand somehow so that my back can somehow get strong enough that I can walk some distance again. I usta walk 8 miles a night year round and LOVED IT!!! Id give many things to get back to that.

Im not looking for any of you to give me advice that I cant do....its not something Id hold your feet to the fire over. Just give me ideas....something simple to start that I can build on. If you truly knew all the injuries and surgeries Ive had and all the titanium I have in me, you'd never give me advice on exercises to do.:blushing:

Please and thanks sooo much