Career Advice..

Options
I need advice ladies/lads - nothing related to weight loss/fitness ..i'm having a bit of trouble working out what I want to do in life ..i am currently in a job that is training me in admin and at the end of this year I will have a Business qualification ..but I've been thinking, I don't want to spend the rest of my life stuck behind a desk in an office, i want to be out and about, seeing new people and doing new things everyday ..maybe working somewhere like Kingswood (an activity retreat where you help children go abseiling and adrenaline filled things like that) ..if i was to choose the 'outdoorsy' option then i have to wait till i can move out (i'm 17) as there isn't anything like that anywhere near where i live! I have spoken to many people and they think that if i was to leave the job i'm in now, i'll be throwing away a huge opportunity and would have wasted all the time i spent studying business admin ..i just don't know what to do ..i suppose i could save up for a few years until i can afford to move away and go down a different career path but i don't know ..ahhh, someone help? <3

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just quit.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    if you want to see if something else will work out, there is no better time to do it than when you are young and single.
  • adamskidxo
    Options
    I can't just quit as i need the money ..and i'm not single so can't just up and leave ..it's such a hard decision :/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    At 17 you have a lot of time to try different careers. Do some research on what fields would allow you to be more active and challenge you at the same time.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you will gain a qualification in a few month's time then that's worthing sticking it out for. You never know when that will come in handy!
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Since you can't quit now anyway, get that qualification done. That's what I would do, even if I could quit. You're only 17. You have all the time in the world to experiment, and your likes won't remain the same forever. Someday, you might even just want a desk-job, or maybe this qualification would give a boost to your CV for some other job that you like in the future. Hang in there.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    At 17, even at 20, you're not going to get stuck in a career field. You say you are only months away from a qualification. You should get that. You never know when you won't be able to do the outdoor thing anymore and suddenly a desk job will be a lifesaver.

Employers like to see people who stick with a job, so having a job that you did and stayed with will look good on your resume, regardless of what you do in the future.