how much exercise - help?

Options
I have been doing great at the gym since I started this weight loss journey and have gotten to the point where I am exercising 6 -7 days a week and for 60+ minutes each session.
This morning after a 45 minute spin class (hard workout the whole time) I hopped on an eliptical for about 1/2 hour (low rate of speed, maintained a 60% heart rate) -- as I was leaving one of the workers at the gym told me that I shouldnt do that much exercise everyday because my body is going to get used to that much exercise and when I am done losing and want to maintain my weight Imgoing to have to keep up this same intensity or else I will gain weight.
Im wondering what people's thoughts are on this? Should I pull back on my exercise because I know that I cannot maintain this same 6-7 days a week 60 + minutes forever....or am I ok to do this to lose the weight and then when Im in maintain mode find a happy medium.
Thoughts?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So long as you're switching it up it shouldn't be an issue. However rest days ARE important for most types of exercise (there are exceptions, like core workouts because your core never really gets a break in every day living). Just make sure you're changing it up, and I'd try to get a solid rest day in at least once a week. Throw in cross training if you're just using the eliptical, go for a jog, or walk, do something different. It keeps your body guessing.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am interested to know the same. I usually do cardio for 90min!
  • brittvdub_09
    Options
    WOW, that's a lot! I admire you for being able to work out so much! I've always heard that, at the bare minimum, you should work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time. I've decided to do 5 days a week. I would recommend doing something that you can stick to. It's better to work out less and be consistent, than to work out a ton and not be able to maintain it. That's just a personal opinion though; I'm definitely not an expert!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    WOW, that's a lot! I admire you for being able to work out so much! I've always heard that, at the bare minimum, you should work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time. I've decided to do 5 days a week. I would recommend doing something that you can stick to. It's better to work out less and be consistent, than to work out a ton and not be able to maintain it. That's just a personal opinion though; I'm definitely not an expert!

I am not expert either but I think there is some truth to what your gym goer said. Find something that you can do in your daily life. If it is a 45 minute spin class that should be good! Find what works for you all the time. again. opinion.
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If the worker was a trainer then maybe you should take into account what they said. If you are not sure speak to a trainer at your gym and see what they suggest...you are working out alot, and maybe they do have a point, but not sure..how do you feel the next day after your workouts, if your overly exhausted then maybe you should hold back a little...

good luck
  • fiorina
    fiorina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was at curves for a while and was told that it would be best to alternate..One day cardio and the next excercise at a slower rate..and half an hour to 45 minutes total each time would be enough..Don't over due it..and good luck.. I just started again.. Stopped going to the gym and that's why I am at it again...
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was actually going to post a blog on a similar concern today. I see so many of you just working your tails off every day and I feel like my efforts pale in comparison. But, working ten hour days with a one hour commute each way just ties up so much of my day that I find it hard to set aside more. Besides, I think if I overdo it, I would burn myself out and stop completely, but in 20-30 minute increnents I can always find time to sneak it in, even if only by waking alittle earlier each day. I guess as long as I continue to make progress, I will know that my efforts are valid. When they stop being effective I may have to shake things up a bit more. :laugh:
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to alternate days between cardio and strength training. According to the personal trainer at my gym, you will actually lose more weight and keep it off more consistently if you do it this way. The stronger all your muscles are, the more calories they burn and the higher your metabolism will be. So, instead of doing so much consistent cardio, maybe you should do some strength training, so that you are still in the gym, and losing weight, but not getting your body so used to that level of cardio every day. And, I agree that you should have a rest day or two in there somewhere.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    also not an expert :)

But, I think what the gym guy was referring to was that if you stop working out so much your metabolism will slow. This should not be an issue causing you to gain weight, as long as your eating decreases to match the decrease in metabolism. You can also slow down on the exercising when you need to to fit your long-term lifestyle so that your metabolism can slowly adjust and find its balance, but work out all you want (within reason! 60 mins a day 6 days a week is not unreasonable. It actually sounds pretty healthy!)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    WOW! I am impressed with your workouts! I am just trying to get 2 30-45 minutes workouts in a week; so far I have been losing weight but imagine I will plateau fairly soon. I would definitely listen to the gym worker if it is someone you respect or have knowledge from others who respect him/her. My goal is to do what is comfortable to continue doing for the rest of my life ( a lifestyle) such that I can lose the unnecessary weight and then be able to maintain. IT does make sense that if you tune your body up to such intense workouts and then once you reach your weight goal, cut back, that your metabolism would be affected. Bottom line though is if you enjoy doing what you are doing (spin classes and elliptical back to back) then you are more likely to continue doing it, so why not keep it up! I just don't enjoy the exercise but know it is good for me, therefore only choose to do it a minimum of twice a week and if I happen to do it 3 times a week, my body thanks me! For the best results, seek professional answers from those who are trained in the field of physical training and follow what they instruct.
    Good luck!
    361266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kayvill
    Options
    I majored in exercise science in college... There are a few tricks and loopholes to diet and exercise but basically it's just math. Calories taken into the body need to be lower than calories burned to lose weight... Although u have to think about other nutritional info like carbs fat etc. When u are working out rrrreally hard or are playing sports competitively u are usually eating a lot more calories because u need fuel! When u stop working out u need to adjust ur eating or else u gain weight... That's y a lot of athletes in off season gain weight. Don't be discouraged u are doing great. Listen to ur body and when ur sore or exhausted take a break otherwise keep it up!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I majored in exercise science in college... There are a few tricks and loopholes to diet and exercise but basically it's just math. Calories taken into the body need to be lower than calories burned to lose weight... Although u have to think about other nutritional info like carbs fat etc. When u are working out rrrreally hard or are playing sports competitively u are usually eating a lot more calories because u need fuel! When u stop working out u need to adjust ur eating or else u gain weight... That's y a lot of athletes in off season gain weight. Don't be discouraged u are doing great. Listen to ur body and when ur sore or exhausted take a break otherwise keep it up!

I like your advice! Relevant to everyone. Thanks for jumping in. :flowerforyou:

Rebel