How many extra Cals should you eat while pregnant

Options
Hi All,

My Fiancee and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years and 9 months.. I have been advised my weigh isnt an issues although I could do with losing some.

I am currently on round #1 of Clomid, so fingers crossed this month.... I was just wondering, If I am lucky enought to get pregnant this month, how many extra cals should I be eating? I know I need to listen to my body and eat when hungry especially while pregnant, I just dont want to put on more weight than needed as I am also getting married next year.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Thank L :drinker: xxx

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to eat any extra calories in the first trimester. I think they recommend an extra 200 or 300 later on.

I've got 2 children and I found I really craved carbs in my 1st trimester with both of them - I just wanted toast, or sandwiches, and I usually try to cut down on bread. I felt really nauseous too, and eating helped that. I only actually threw up twice in my 2nd pregnancy, but felt more awful for longer. With my 1st (my son) I felt crappy for maybe 4 or 5 weeks.

I had such good intentions to eat so well, but I put on a lot of weight with my daughter. My son was 14 months when I got pregnant with her, so I was pretty exhausted most of the time! With my 1st, I was able to go to the gym until I was 34 weeks pregnant.

When you get pregnant, just continue logging your meals on here to give you an idea, but try not to stress too much about it, especially if you're feeling a bit crappy.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know there's a tendency to "eat for two" when you are pregnant, but it's a myth. An extra 300 calories a day of good healthy protein, carbs, fiber, and vitamins is all you really need when you're pregnant. But your obstetrician is the best source of info for this, since every situation is different.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah I believe an extra 200-300 after the first trimester is what is recommended. Personally I ate way better when pregnant than before I got pregnant. Lots of milk and yoghurt for calcium and fresh fruit and veggies. Lots of wholegrains and fibre. Make sure you eat iron rich foods too.

Honestly I didn't count my calories, I just ate well. I actually continued losing weight in pregnancy until I hit 34 weeks. Between 34 and 42 weeks I gained 15lbs. My "little" man was born weighing 10lb 8oz and when I got home from the hospital I got on the scales and was 5lb lighter than when I got pregnant, a week later I was 10lb lighter.

Unfortunately been tired and busy led to making unhealthy choices and just grabbing junk food so I gained that plus more back! lol. But just eat healthy and try not to panic too much about how many calories you are having. And if you get through it without too much gain then learn from my mistakes and make sure you don't fall back in to old habits.
  • lhorton84
    lhorton84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys.. Big Help !!!! :happy: xx
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to be taking in extra cals until your second or third trimester. At that time, you can add an extra 300.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about that.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it's about 100-300 (if any) while pregnant, 500+ while BFing after the baby arrives. Altho if you go that route, there's a negative calorie entry for breastfeeding here at MFP as my friends have used.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat balanced adn that adding a peanut butter and jelly sandwich a day was about the most. or course I was fairly overweight already and was asked to attempt to gain less than 20 lbs. That was tough as my son was 10 lbs on his own! LOL
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    When your 1st starting out, like 1st trimester.. i would guess an extra 200 tops. But talk to the doc about it. Now i do know that for 2-3r you need 300 extra cals, but make those cals full of nutrients, like omegas, full fat (good fat like avocados) protein. Dont waste it on oreos ;)
  • lpitcock
    lpitcock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Where is this negative breastfeeding count that you are referencing? I have been unable to find it or how to put it on my MFP account. Any help you can offer with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • lpitcock
    lpitcock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    it's about 100-300 (if any) while pregnant, 500+ while BFing after the baby arrives. Altho if you go that route, there's a negative calorie entry for breastfeeding here at MFP as my friends have used.

Where is this negative breastfeeding count that you are referencing? I have been unable to find it or how to put it on my MFP account. Any help you can offer with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I should keep note of this for my next pregnancy...WHENEVER that may be! I REFUSE to put on another 70 lbs like I did with my daughter.

But, agreed that the whole, "Eating for Two" is a myth! Some extra calories maybe, especially during the third tri but, not totally loading them on. The most important thing is that if you move before you get pregnant, you can continue to move while pregnant...and to eat healthy.

Agreed also that your Dr is the best person to talk to about this...GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to eat any extra calories in the first trimester. I think they recommend an extra 200 or 300 later on.

I've got 2 children and I found I really craved carbs in my 1st trimester with both of them - I just wanted toast, or sandwiches, and I usually try to cut down on bread. I felt really nauseous too, and eating helped that. I only actually threw up twice in my 2nd pregnancy, but felt more awful for longer. With my 1st (my son) I felt crappy for maybe 4 or 5 weeks.

I had such good intentions to eat so well, but I put on a lot of weight with my daughter. My son was 14 months when I got pregnant with her, so I was pretty exhausted most of the time! With my 1st, I was able to go to the gym until I was 34 weeks pregnant.

When you get pregnant, just continue logging your meals on here to give you an idea, but try not to stress too much about it, especially if you're feeling a bit crappy.

^^ This. First Tri, you don't need extra cals. 2nd and 3rd you add about 300 per day on top of maintenance.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me I needed to eat no more than 100 extra calories. I have been pretty lucky and have not gotten sick but feel like crap. Anyway I don't think I eat even 1200 calories right now and from what I have been told that is fine - your body knows what it needs.
  • CherryIceGlitter
    Options
    Hi All,

My Fiancee and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years and 9 months.. I have been advised my weigh isnt an issues although I could do with losing some.

I am currently on round #1 of Clomid, so fingers crossed this month.... I was just wondering, If I am lucky enought to get pregnant this month, how many extra cals should I be eating? I know I need to listen to my body and eat when hungry especially while pregnant, I just dont want to put on more weight than needed as I am also getting married next year.

It's not a silly question I asked the same when I first found out as I have always struggled with my weight and gain weight really easily.

I am 4 months pregnant and have gained 3lbs so far, that was with my calories set to 'maintain' which is 1670 calories (I have been wayyy over that number a few times recently though!!) As I am officially in the overweight range I shouldn't gain anymore than 20lbs but if you are in the 'normal' (I HATE THAT WORD!) range then a healthy weight gain is usually between 25 and 35lbs.

Speaking to a friend of mine about this earlier today and she gained a whopping 4stone.. thats 56lb if you're not from the UK. I really don't want that to be me but on the other hand if I am hungry I shall eat and if the baby insists on a cheeseburger from time to time then he/she will have a cheeseburger!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nikki xx

P.S If there are any other new mummies or mums to be then feel free to add me as a friend
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

It's not a silly question I asked the same when I first found out as I have always struggled with my weight and gain weight really easily.

I am 4 months pregnant and have gained 3lbs so far, that was with my calories set to 'maintain' which is 1670 calories (I have been wayyy over that number a few times recently though!!) As I am officially in the overweight range I shouldn't gain anymore than 20lbs but if you are in the 'normal' (I HATE THAT WORD!) range then a healthy weight gain is usually between 25 and 35lbs.

Speaking to a friend of mine about this earlier today and she gained a whopping 4stone.. thats 56lb if you're not from the UK. I really don't want that to be me but on the other hand if I am hungry I shall eat and if the baby insists on a cheeseburger from time to time then he/she will have a cheeseburger!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nikki xx

P.S If there are any other new mummies or mums to be then feel free to add me as a friend

I must've gained that much when I was pregnant with my daughter! And I didn't go over-the-top with food, I'm just predisposed to weight gain anyway. She was 8lbs 10 at 12 days overdue. I've lost 42lbs since she was 8 weeks old, and she's 16 months now. I'm smaller now than when I got pregnant with my son in 2008. I took domperidone after having my daughter as I wasn't producing enough milk, and it made me put on weight.

I'd like another baby, we're thinking of maybe trying next year sometime, so I still have plenty of time to lose more weight. I know if i got back to the UK size 10/12 that I used to be i'll make more of an effort to stay slim. It's hard though when you feel rubbish, and you still have to go to work and look after your other child(ren).