X-Box is ruining this country

Options
Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
My son is 6. We play PC games together (currently an online game called 'Monkey Quest'). . . He also snatches my phone for angry birds or whatever else he can download free. .

The PC thing is a sort of Father-Son activity, so I'm OK with that, although he has learned how to play without me, so I'm now having to fight the urge to let him sit in front of the computer while I get housework done. .

At heart, though, he is extremely active and loves to play outside and run, run, run!

I've just moved to a new neighborhood and we are slowly meeting the local kids.

Here's the problem. Not a single one EVER wants to go outside. It's all gaming all the time. My kid has nobody to play with! Not only that, but they are downright rude! I brought my son to a friends house the other day and he walked in and waved at his 'friend' who he'd met once before. This kid didn't even acknowledge him. He didn't smile, nod, or wave. He just kept on staring at the TV. Then, when my son tried to talk to him he was really condescending and rude. The worst thing was the parents who watched all this and did nothing about it. BTW. . if we really want to know what's causing overweight kids. . here's your answer.

I will NEVER own an X-Box, a WII, a PlayStation, a DS, or any other console system.

So, what do y'all think. Am I seeing a huge problem where there isn't one?

Replies

• MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would say you're seeing a parenting problem and not an xbox problem.

Edit to elaborate:
    It's too easy to blame inactivity and other things on inanimate objects. Yes, games can make kids (and adults) passive as they provide a false sense of achievement, but that happens on whatever console they're on.
    We own heeps of different gaming devices. Rudeness and ignoring friends is not accepted. Games and gaming time is monitored and used as a privilege that you can earn or lose. Being a gamer myself though, and once completely "addicted", I am very aware. Other parents might not be aware and others might find they prefer to have their kids stuck in front of the TV so they know where they are.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest- I don't blame the console system for this problem. We own a PS3 and a Wii. My kids do love to play games on them, but they don't get free access to it at will. They have to earn it. When they have had a good day at school AND at home, and all their homework and chores are done on time, then they might get 30 minutes to play. I actually make them earn "behavior points" which they can spend on gaming time. Same with watchig tv or getting on the computer for anything other than homework. I set timers when they get on these systems so I know when their time is up.

Why do I get that way? Because my parents didn't. They weren't home in the afternoons and I watched tv while I did homework in high school. I see a chance to make it better for my kids. This encourages them to behave, play outside (which is FREE and they don't have to earn it), and respect the time they have to play on these systems. The things I think are better-outside play, family games, crafts, stuff like that, is FREE. Sedentary and anti-social stuff like gaming is not.

If the issue is that the kid is rude, that's not the fault of the console. That's the environment. The console didn't teach them to be rude-the parents and the environment they created taught them that it's okay to be that way. Just my $.02.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    x box sucks! ps3 is where its at!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    These are two separate problems.

1. The kid was rude

2. You're worried about lack of physical activity.

I played games all while growing up and I was never overweight until I got a desk job and ordered too many pizzas for convenience dinners. Kids can enjoy their video games as long as it's limited and they're active in other ways. I would look into putting him in school sports, activities, or martial arts - something he will enjoy and he will likely meet other kids who enjoy being active as well.
  • LNZimmer
    Options

^^^^THIS. Period.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    its parenting.

that's like saying mcdonalds gives people diabetes.

also the wii is interactive as well as kinect for xbox, there is tons of body moving games that burn calories FYI.
  • bellydancer124
    Options

^^^^THIS. Period.

^^ And an exclamation point.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    We have a wii and both kids have 3DS'. They love to socialize, run and play. When company is over they aren't allowed on their 3ds. They can play wii as long as all kid company can play the game too. But mostly, they attack their toys. I think it's more of a parenting issue.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Nail on the head ^^^

Games consoles are not the problem here...
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Kids having all those gadgets is a sign of lazy parenting so the rude behavior stems both from the electronic addiction and bad parenting! Of course there are those who do use these things in moderation. You are smart to make the choices you do. I hope your son makes some nice new friends with common interests. My kids have too many interests to waste their time on electronic games, etc. They don't even watch tv!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My son's friends never want to come over because I don't allow video games on week days and I limit screen time on weekends. It almost feels like I am punishing my son because all of his friends are screen addicts.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The X-Box isn't the problem. Parents who don't put LIMITS on it are the problem.

My sisters children own computers (Yes, they each have their own computer), playstations, x-boxes, DS's and other gaming devices BUT they are ONLY allowed to play these items for a certain amount of time each day. The rest of the time they are REQUIRED to be outside (provided their school work is done).

She has never had a problem with them 'sneaking in' to play games. I've been at her home. Her kids run around and play outside.

They can CHOOSE when their gaming time is, by the way, it's not a 'set time' it's a 'set amount of time'.

So yeah... the problem isn't gaming devices. The problem is parents.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts....it's a parenting problem and not a console problem

My daughter has everything...no seriously....she has a laptop, an iPod, an iPhone, her own tv, an Xbox, a PS3, a Wii, an iPad...if it can be electronic and purchased...she pretty much has it.

That being said none of these things are on when her friends come to play....or if something is on, it's her Xbox, playing selena Gomez, or Lady Gaga, or Carly Rae Jepson while she and her friends dance and put on lip gloss, paint nails and jump all over the place singing at the top of their lungs....

or a movie...sometimes they put in a movie as background noise while doing all the above.

My daughter is ten....

It's definitely a parenting problem. They need to teach their kids manners and how to treat guests. It's that simple.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

THIS! As a gamer myself, it's all about moderation. I don't let my stepchildren sit in front of the TV the entire time we have them. We do things as a family, and although gaming is among those things, it's not the only one. We encourage them to be more active and are hardly even home on the weekends that we do have them. I know that if we were to have the children all the time, their game play would be restricted and based on their performance at school, around the house, etc. It sounds like the parents of these children are using the Xbox as parents a generation ago used the TV ... as a glorified babysitter.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    The problem is the parents, not the xbox. And it's within your rights not to own an xbox or any other console, but when the time comes, I will allow my son to have one, I just won't allow him to sit on it all day long... and I won't let him treat company the way that kid did either.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    x box sucks! ps3 is where its at!

<3!!!
  • glonigan
    Options
    Agreed with Parenting problem and not gaming console problem. One could say the same thing about Cable Television, Board Games, Reading, or any other stationary activity. Why not have your son invite one of his friends over and encourage them to play outside? Set an example for them to find better activities while over at your house and not just sit on the X-Box.

We have multiple gaming PC's in our house and an X-Box, but time is limited to my kids playing on these systems or watching TV/movies. Every once in a while we will have to ask the kids to go on a bike ride or do yard work with us to get them out of a slump.
  • this_is_my_year
    this_is_my_year Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Id say its a parenting issue. Consoles don't make you rude.

There are plenty of age appropriate games for the Wii that get kids up/dancing/relatively active, great for rainy days or indoor days. Everything in moderation.

I was barely active as a child because I sat and read a lot, people would never suggest stopping kids reading. Games can help hand eye co-ordination, team work and creativity. Too much of anything can lead to bad times though.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My nieces and nephews have a wii and I've seen them play it but it's not all they do. Whenever I visit we spend most of our time outdoors, playing in the backyard or going for a walk to the playground. They're also in various sports and dance.

I was overweight growing up and I played outside, built forts, climbed trees and was in all kinds fo sports too. I rarely if ever played video games, but I did do a lot of reading and watched tv.

Seeing one kid be rude while he's playing a video game doesn't make this an epidemic.