Walking/swimming vs cycling/gym

Options
Good evening! I wanted to ask a question regarding exercise. I know any exercise is good exercise BUT.....I know for the best results I should mix strength/cardio/resistance, and I used to cycle to the gym and back which covered all 3. I have come to realise that I detest cycling. So then I thought maybe walk to the gym, but I really hate how the gym makes me feel- I much prefer to work out at home. Soooo here is the question lol. Would I still be sufficiently exercising if I walk to the pool to swim- then I could do some form of crunches/ pushups at home? Or should I still be using some form of weights?

Replies

• dgr93
    dgr93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you should give walking/swimming a go and see how you get on with it you could also buy some dumbell weights or a kettlebell to do some weight training at home?

Hope this helps
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    Thanks so much :) I will definitely be giving the walking and swimming a go- I find it harder to find motivation to do weights and strength exercises, yet I can walk and swim till the cows come home lol.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much :) I will definitely be giving the walking and swimming a go- I find it harder to find motivation to do weights and strength exercises, yet I can walk and swim till the cows come home lol.

I think you just answered your own question! :happy:

Strength training is still a bit of a chore for me too (I'd much rather go for a run or a bike ride) but the benefits keep me at it. You will see overall better fitness gains if you incorporate strength training into your fitness program but to be effective it has to be something you'll stick with which means it has to be something that you don't hate doing.