Backtracked

Options
So, I've gained 15 lbs back from my lowest weight in the winter (I was just a couple pounds away from my goal). A combination of being super busy tackling work and law school, family drama, and just generally getting lax with my diet & exercise. I'm not looking for sympathy; what I AM looking for is your stories. Has anyone else backtracked a significant amount? Why? And, what did it take to get you headed in the right direction again?

Replies

• heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump so people share.... there's gotta be stories out there!!!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I backtracked hardcore... over the last year, I've gained back every pound and every inch that I had lost before that. Setting a goal for myself (for me, half marathon) helped get me back on track. I felt really motivated, and truly had a shift in my focus from "how heavy I am" to *what my body can do.* Then me and my kids got pertussis this summer, and that sidelined me for a bit, but even though it derailed the goal of running a half this fall I still felt motivated to get back on track.

Taking a completely positive approach works best for me - I know that I can lose weight. I know what I did before that took the weight off in a really healthy and sustainable way. I know how good I felt when I was eating better and was more active. I know how good it feels to challenge myself. I know that I can surprise myself with what I can accomplish if I just hang in when it's hard. I know that if I eat something really junky or miss a workout, that it's okay to dust myself off and get back on it with no harm done. These kinds of thoughts got me going and keep me on track.

Also the "You're going to be tired no matter what, might as well get off your bum and work out. You can be tired afterwards." That was what got me started last year, and it got me going again this year. But that might be very specific to my exhausted life. LOL
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Also the "You're going to be tired no matter what, might as well get off your bum and work out. You can be tired afterwards." That was what got me started last year, and it got me going again this year. But that might be very specific to my exhausted life. LOL

I love that motto!!! I want to print it out, blow it up, and put it somewhere I can see it every day when I get home...
  • KNJMAMA
    Options
    I've regained 7lb recently (maybe more) due to family woes and lack of exercise and too much of good things! I want to get back on it as my baby is now 9 months and though I am still around pre-baby weight, I need to lose some more and get my fitness levels up. I want to be fit enough to run a half marathon this time next year
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Options
    I have regained 5 pounds as of today. :( I could feel myself getting pretty lax on watching what I eat lately and now it shows on the scale. Now its time to regroup and relose that 5 plus the other 45 I am aiming for. I will NOT let this little slip up get me down. :)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I love that motto!!! I want to print it out, blow it up, and put it somewhere I can see it every day when I get home...

One of the fitness inspiration things I pinned (on Pinterest) said, "Someone busier than you is running right now." For me, I made it "Someone more tired" because even though I'm frequently busy, it's rarely as big a barrier as needing a nap tends to be! LOL