X-Box is ruining this country

Options

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii, and I use it for physical activity 98% of the time I use it. In fact, I burned 169 calories in 20 minutes using the Wii this morning. You can't blame an inanimate object for these problems. Blame the parents for allowing this to happen, if you must have someone to blame.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    XBOX is online. It's ruining a lot of countries. =)

But I agree with others. It's parents that let their kids play video games all day that are the problem, not the existence of video games.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I got my first console when I was 9, I was also a huge book reader. I still played outside plenty. I'm 23 now and I still game and read.

It's the parents' fault.

Also, I feel sorry for you. Gaming is awesome. I wouldn't even date a guy who didn't play SOMETHING.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the parenting issue. Way too many people just park their kids in front of the TV and then vanish. Kids need to do something else instead of gaming like sports or just going to the mall. Parking kids in front of a TV will also cause issues down the road with their social skills as people don't act like game characters.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That's more about the parents than the Xbox. I know plenty of children who love both. They love to spend half the day (if not all of it) outside but they enjoy playing video games when they're inside. Video games aren't the problem.
  • deedee303z
    Options
    I have to agree--it's a parent problem, not a game problem.

FWIW, I also use the Wii for exercise. I don't have ready access to a gym and it's dark by the time I get home. There are some serious workouts available for the Wii.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    My son will be 6 next week. He plays Cool Math on the PC as well as League of Legends with me. Limited to 1 hour a day TOTAL of TV Time or Gaming (unless raining or bad weather). We own a Wii and he is more active on that than most kids I see outside just sitting there.

My son WILL NOT stay inside if its nice out. He plays football or soccer any chance he gets. The kids in our neighborhood are always outside, which is an exception to the rule. I drove around different neighborhoods in our town and practically no kids play outside. Then you have our neighborhood and you have to drive slow and watch out for all the kids. It is actually quite nice.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    That's the same as never buying a chocolate bar, McDonald's or a birthday cake.

Moderation.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I would say you're seeing a parenting problem and not an xbox problem.

Agreed! Games are just a tool. They are there to be used when the user wants.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS. Period.

Absolutely agreed. My son and daughters all love to play outside, play board games, play Uno.....

But, I ain't gonna lie. We also love a little team deathmatch in MW3 also. I am a gamer and enjoy playing them with my kids. We love playing together. My son does play a lot of video games, but he knows that his homework needs to be done along with his chores before he plays anything. And he still loves playing basketball and skateboarding, but the fact is they play a ton of games and he loves it, but it is now allowed to be his whole life. Moderation.... just like tacos.

I did it my whole life and I turned out fine. Well, I turned out OK. Average... ish.
  • Hama900
    Options
    If i was a parent, i'd sneak up behind my kid playing Halo.....silently.........patiently closing in on him..... THEN SLAP HIM ACROSS HIS FACE!! *BRRAPPPPP!!!!*
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not a gaming issue but a parenting issue. I had a nintendo 64 and atari (yes old school) when I was younger but was only allowed an hour or so a day. My mom made sure I got my *kitten* outside and played with the other kids and didnt sit in front of the TV all day. You can have an Xbox or playstation or Wii and not be overweight or rude, those are both examples of neglectful parenting. Also I currently own an Xbox with Kinect which is awesome, you have to get off your *kitten* and move around to play the games which is better than kids just sitting on the couch with the controller.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We have an XBOX...but then I have daughters.. If I think they have been hanging around the TV too much..I do have them go outside..either play or jump on the trampoline.

My youngest does year round volleyball...so she is active..

BTW..my kids are 12 and 16..and yes..I am their parent and control their lives...there is no back talk when I say turn off the tv and go outside...
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also believe that parenting is the main issue here. Just this February, I finally bought a gaming system for myself and my 8-year-old daughter. We have the XBOX 360 with Kinect. Honestly, we do not own any games that do not use the Kinect system. I didn't want my daughter to just sit in front of the game all day! I limit her screen time (TV and computer), but she can play the Kinect games all she wants (as long as her homework and chores are done!) because she is getting active - especially in the winter when it can be tough to get outside much!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting him into some sports programs? Most of the kids who are involved in youth sports are very active and, while they enjoy video games too, they also enjoy being outdoors and having fun. It's a great way to meet other local kids with similar interests as your son with parents with similar parenting styles (more outdoor engagement and less indoor entertainment).

Just a thought.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My son had a Wii (until it died) now he has an xbox. He also has a 3DS, itouch, a laptop, and a TV in his room. He is not allowed to play video games on school nights (even if his homework is done) and has to turn over the laptop at 9:30 every night (no matter what night it is). I make sure that he gets outside to play as often as he can. He's 14 but I can't let him just run around as we live in a neighborhood that isn't the safest anymore. We had a few shootings and other gang related incidents. My point is that it is all about the parenting and not the systems. Too many parents use them as babysitters so they don't have to actually deal with their children. Just pay attention to the kids when you go out to a restaurant or any store. THere is bound to be at least one out of control obnoxious child and a parent that is just ignoring him/her.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree I really dont believe the console/games is the problem. We as parents are to teach them proper maners and how to priorities. My boys (15 and 12) have a xbox 360, my husband has a ps3 and in my living room there is a wii. The wii barely gets played and when it does it is an activity done together like bowling, boxing and such. The ps3 gets played everyday but that one is my husbands and yes he is stuck after work there for about 1hr while he unwinds and before he goes outside to do yard work. My boys are not allowed to use the xbox during school days and on the weekends all depends when they finish their chores and no its not only when their room is clean. They have to mow the lawn, wash their clothes, sometimes sweap the floors and clean the bathroom. They both play football in HS and Middle School and practice 4 days a week and have games on 2 days of the week so kept busy 6 out of 7 days for football they get plenty of exercise. If we have gatherings/cookouts they are to be off the game and outside with the rest of the crowd.

They learn school, chores and family comes first then play time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I agree! I also wonder about your neighborhood. Where I live, there are so many kids running around, playing hide-n-seek, riding bikes, shooting hoops. Are you sure you *have* kids in your neighborhood? :laugh:

ETA: We have an X-box, a Wii, and a PS2, plus a laptop and a gaming PC. But the kids also own bikes, a basketball, a soccer ball, a football, board games, card games, etc. They don't sit around playing games inside unless it's raining. And sometimes we play Wii Sports as a family. (We have had huge bowling tournaments on it that lasted several hours. :laugh: )
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says it is a parenting problem rather than a problem with the consoles.

We have a Wii. They are great. But there are plenty of other things to play with too! Right now my 10 year old and 8 year old are at hockey practice, when they have walked home from there the 10 year old will be straight back out for football practice. My 6 year old is outside cycling up and down our road with her friends.

Having a games console and playing actively outside are not mutually exclusive.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I was never allowed to have a videogame system growing up. I used to think that I was missing something because I didn't. Now I am pregnant and I will not allow one on my home when I have my child. I tell my kid's dad this and some friends and they stare at me like I am crazy. Sorry... I don't want it. I also don't have a TV and don't want one of those either. This country is way too dependent on TV and videogames to pass time. I feel now as an adult that not having the gaming system forced me to be creative and independent. And not having a TV for 10 months has really pushed me now to find constructive things to do with my time rather than stare and zone out at a box. One of my biggest fears in life is to have an overweight child. I think without having TV and videogames will really help that not happen. I want my kid to play outside and get lots of fresh air and be physically active.