Bunion and Morton's neuroma

Options
Anyone have any helpful tips or experiences with these? I have both of these (on opposite feet of course, (because I just couldn't have just one foot hurt) and walking at a faster pace and running is very uncomfortable. I know I can have surgery on both but right now I am a stay at home mom (well, I work 3 or 4 nights a week but home during the day) and I have an almost 4yr old at home with me so I don't know how well I would be able to stay off of my feet after surgery. Anyone have any ideas that might help my feet not hurt so bad while I am exercising? I really don't want to give up on running.

Replies

• tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with different footwear. Did you know that bunions are caused by poor choices in foot wear? The mostly barefoot people in other countries do not have bunions(actually they have a significantly lower amount of foot problems in general).

Maybe try some barefoot exercise. The reason I suggest this is because I know a woman with Morton's Neuroma who swears that barefoot is the only thing comfortable.

Start small, since your feet are probably not used to being barefoot for a long period/distance and see if the pain is there. If not, slowly expand your distance/speed using the 10% rule. Good luck!
  • reneehend
    Options
    I have a bunion on my right foot that is sometimes painful. Totally unscientific here but it seems to respond if I use "Yoga Toes" for a few days. It's a silicone, rubberized toe spacer thingy. At first I could only keep it on for about two minutes before it began to hurt. Now I can almost fall asleep with it on. You can google it. Maybe it will help.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Biking might be a better choice at the moment. And check with your doctors for suggestions on footwear. You might need custom orthotics.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've had a neuroma removed from my right foot and have others developing in the other metatarsals now.
    The best thing to control the pain is good shoes - for me that means shoes that are very wide in the the toe box and with good cushioning under the forefoot. Unfortunately it means that most nice looking shoes are out - but I have to be able to walk so comfort comes first.
    Luckily I don't have bunions - but shoes should help there too, I used to have Nike Vomero running shoes which had bunion expansion points (god, it's tragic, I feel like such an old lady when I talk shoes!)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with different footwear. Did you know that bunions are caused by poor choices in foot wear? The mostly barefoot people in other countries do not have bunions(actually they have a significantly lower amount of foot problems in general).

Actually this is total rubbish.
    Bunions are Not caused by bad footwear, and actually countries which have barefoot culture do have bunions, and other foot conditions, about all they don't have is ingrowing toenails!

My mum has quite bad bunions, my consultant tells me they are hereditory, as I now have one. I have always worn good quality shoes, and boots, I am 5 foot 9 and have seldom worn high heels, when I did they were 1 inch heels, good quality shoes. Mum had bunions when I was born, she is also tall and does not wear heels.

To OP.
    I wear a light walking shoe with lots of shock absorbancy in the soul, this keeps the pressure off my big toe..Try a wide fit running shoe.
    Good luck!
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After further research I have found that you are more than likely correct about the development, but studies are mixed on recovery/prevention. Barefoot was just a suggesion I have a lot of experience with.
  • roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I will be trying a few different things to see what works.
  • runner805
    runner805 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Bunion Booties? I think they are more comfortable then Yoga Toes but certainly does help with the bunion pain :)

Good luck and keep moving! :)