Ping Pong Between These Two Weights?

Options
Hello everyone.
First, I want to say that I'm fairly new here (only at this a week) & I don't have many friends on here that I can motivate or that can help keep me motivated. So feel free to add me if you want. Second, I have a weight loss goal of about 20lbs so far - pretty easy. I think I got pretty lucky with only needing to lose that much weight before I'm the weight I should be for my height & age. In the past I've lost that much weight and more but I did it so unhealthily that the weight just all came back.
So now I'm back at it. Here's the issue: according to the MFP app I can lose all 20lbs in 5 weeks with my diet & exercise plan I'm on right now. That sounds great but when I step on the scale every morning I see only a one or two pound weight loss. I bounce between two different weights. If I only lose 1-2 pounds a week there's no way I will lose all 20lbs in 5 weeks, I would only lose 10lbs.
What should I do about it?

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try a more realistic goal. If you only have 20 pounds to lose, 4 pounds a week is not reasonable. You tried it before ad gained it back, so why try it the same way again? 1 pound a week is a good rate.
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a week is a very good rate of weight loss. Slow to lose, slow to put back on.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Agree with both^^^
  • maedoll18
    Options
    Ok, thank you all. Honestly, I didn't know I was being unrealistic. As I said before, I lost weight way faster before in an unhealthy manner so I guess that's what I'm kind of judging it by.
  • Cathleen77
    Cathleen77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My advice to you would be to aim for 1-2 pounds a week as well. Also, put that scale away!! I use to weigh myself each morning and I wouldn't really see a whole lot of weight loss. I found because of that, I would easily loose motivation. I know weigh myself on a weekly basis and it truly is making a difference for me. I started mfp 2 months ago, and am down 8 pounds. In the beginning my goal was also 20lbs. I have 12 more to go!!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Since your only shooting for 20 lbs total, I would do only set MFP to 1-1.5 lbs a week. They say healthy loss is 1-2 lbs, 4 is very unrealistic at your size. If you were 300 lbs, then I would say its possible. The key to what you said was, "unhealthy manner." I feel if you go about it a normal healthier way (note I didnt say 100% healthy, what fun is that lol) I think you have a higher chance of keeping it off also. You need to find what works for you and stick with it. Go about it the right way and Im sure you will be thanking yourself later. Good luck with your journey!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I set mine to 1 lb a week, it took a long *kitten* time....but the good thing about it was:
    When I went on vacation...I didnt gain any weight during the mexican food fest and no workouts i was having....

when you lose the weight slowly, you dont damage your metabolism, and when you finish your weight loss journey....you can have some time to enjoy yourself without the weight slamming back on. Eating healthy will always remain a part of my lifestyle...the journey never really ends, but mmmm food is gewd!
  • maedoll18
    Options
    Wow, I really appreciate the responses I received to this post. It puts things in perspective. One pound a week sounded like way too little for me but I'm glad to see that that is how it is supposed to be. :)