Injured Knee

Options
Hi All,

Quick question, I've taken up some exercise and also using MFP over the last few weeks and I thought I would start running. So for the past few weeks I've been running ( 3 x 30min treadmill session per week) in an old-ish pair of Merrell cross trainers (I know that it isn't the best shoe for the job but I wanted to try out some exercise before dropping some money on new shoes).

To cut a long story short I've injured my knee a little bit (Walking ok but it doesn't like any major impact at the moment). I've since spent some money on a good pair of Mizunos but I'm wondering what's the best way of progressing now.

Should I stay off it completely (No exercise at all)? If so for how long?
Just do stretches? If so what are better ones?
Just go back to medium paced walking instead of running?

As I am an exercise novice I'm unsure what the best plan of action should be, any ideas or advice would be great.

Cheers

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain is it? A dull pain or a sharp pain? Where on your knee is the pain? Does it hurt when you walk up stairs, down stairs, flat surface?
  • ebola81
    Options
    Mainly dull pain, although if I jump and land on the knee it becomes quite sharp. Flat surfaces are ok, going down stairs and putting extra weight on that knee becomes painful. If anything the pain is either side of the patella (??) and slightly behind. General walking is ok, I did 1 x 20min session on a treadmill after getting my new shoes and I didn't walk away sore, but if I tried to pick the pace up and put any impact on that knee I had to slow down.
  • lucindasun
    Options
    post op for me I was told to do lots of leg lifts and bending exercises and add weight as tolerated, like lifting a old purse with a soup can in it with the purse handle on your ankle, add soup cans as you make progress, or push against a tension band, and I acutally borrowed one of those peddle thingies to keep the joint moving without much tension on it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You could have a cartiledge tear. If rest does not improve it you are going to want to see a doctor and have it checked out.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have runners knee. Take it easy and do some reading on it. If it still hurts after a few days of not running go to the Dr.
  • redlady82
    redlady82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you could have a meniscal tear; probably not very advanced. I had the same thing and ignored it then ended up with the meniscus on the outside of my knee joint while hiking a hill one day. Just take the injury seriously, ice the knee, and consider switching to a low impact elliptical for a while. You can still get a really great workout on one if you watch speed and resistance. Avoid moving the incline too high until you feel more confident with the knee pain.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    What do you mean injured your knee? Did you fall down and get bruised? Or did you suddenly start feeling pain for no obvious reason?
    If the latter, I think you should see a physician / physiotherapist to make sure everything is ok there, otherwise it might just get worse... This thing happened to me and turned out I my knee was crooked and since then I can't run anymore. So don't be a hero.
  • ebola81
    Options
    Injured as in I've only just taken up running again and I've probably been running in bad shoes, rather than any major injury.

Just after advice for recovery steps to take and whether I should stay off it completely, drop my pace down to a medium walk or just stretch it for a bit. And if any of the above, for how long?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen twice! didn't learn didn't rest , I kept running through the pain, I didn't buy new shoes and paid for it. I was out of commission for a month! Rest or do low impact take some anti-inflamitories this is what my doctor advised me to do.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have runners knee. Take it easy and do some reading on it. If it still hurts after a few days of not running go to the Dr.

I was going to say runners knee also.
    Rest, elevate it, take an anit-iflammatory and ice it.

I use a knee band now, helps a lot.

41381-2T-259x292-AUTO.jpg
  • sdleeper
    sdleeper Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like the same type of thing that I've had in both knees. More use = more pain. My issue was bursitis. And I had it for a couple of years...came down to me not wearing the right shoes...I'm wearing New Balance now and I've picked up my distance, and I have not had any issues. Take some advil for a few days (while not running). Then take some advil about an hour before you run...see if that helps. If not...go to the dr!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I blew my knee out jogging, so bad it was bruised all behind the knee and all the way down my calf. I didn't do anything weight bearing for a month (give or take) now i brace it before i jog. I also have very good Asics Gel running shoes.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Biofreeze the knee, foamroll (or a massage) and rest!
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Foam roll and stretch your IT band, if you've been doing a lot of treadmill running your IT band is probably tight, which can cause issues with your knees.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Without having any information other than you have hurt yourself and you want to run, let me advise you not to until you see a doctor. Knee injuries could be impacting the bone or the joint. The knee is one of the hardest working joints of the body. It takes the most abuse from day-to-day activity. Injuring it could be serious and can lead to osteoarthritis which could affect all the other joints of your body.
  • Ender126
    Options

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Self-Diagnosed with Runners' Knee. I did some research and found some stretches that REALLY helped. I also figured out that some of the muscles in my legs were underdeveloped so I started doing Machine Leg squats and it's helped... A LOT!

Just Google runners' knee and look up stretches to help and exercises to build up your other leg muscles.

• basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Start by walking to loosen up knee and legs, if knee feels ok just go for 10 mins or so, if it still feels ok go anther 10. Don't overdo it until your sure you knee is ok

Basil
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Self-Diagnosed with Runners' Knee. I did some research and found some stretches that REALLY helped. I also figured out that some of the muscles in my legs were underdeveloped so I started doing Machine Leg squats and it's helped... A LOT!

Just Google runners' knee and look up stretches to help and exercises to build up your other leg muscles.

This. Or get some KT Tape (which I have just discovered and it is my new best friend!). www.kttape.com - it will show you exactly how to tape up the knee, too.

However, if it gets worse, absolutely go to the doctor!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I love to run and I've had to take time off every now and again. I also use knee braces, foot soles, and ice to help alleviate the pain. Hope you feel better!:flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hey! Go see a doctor. Don't consult the internet at the expense of your joints.

Sincerely,

The Girl Who Thought She Tweaked Her Knee But Weeks Later When It Didn't Heal Found Out It Was A Torn ACL.