I'm not anorexic!

Options
That's what I find myself saying constantly to people who tell me that I need to stop losing weight, that I'm getting too skinny. I find that those comments are both a compliment and a bit of a slap to the face. I feel like I have to defend myself every time by telling them what I eat and how much of it I eat.

I'm 6'2 220 lbs down from 320, so I know that for some people, thats a pretty big jump, but it was a gradual loss. I'm only down 40 lbs since January of this year. I exercise constantly, 5-6 days a week and I watch what I eat. My Goal weight right now is around 195-200 but people around me think that's to drastic.

How would you respond to someone who thinks you're going too far?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Tell them your weight is perfectly healthy (a doctor would back you up on this), and that they're just used to seeing you so heavy the difference seems scary to them.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    they would think I was really bad off... I am 6'2" and 190 lbs.....
  • nitekrawler
    Options
    Health is another reason I'm trying to get lower, to help with High blood pressure, I went from stage one hypertension to being in the pre-hypertension stage w/o medication. The number continues to drop the more I progress.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As long as you are aiming for a healthy weight ignore what people say. It's more than likley that they see the amount of effort and dedication your puttign in and mistake this for obsession lol
    xx
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    My husband is also 6'2 and he weighs about 237lbs. He is a solid build and is by no means "fat" but when looking at BMI and similar "tests" they all tell him that his weight is "morbidly obese". It's totally ridiculous! If he were to weight the 'recommended' 80kg (176lbs) he would look anorexic!

YOU know what works for you in your size, so don't listen to others. If you were to drop below 150lbs at that height and still didn't think it was a problem, then I would start to be concerned and might think you had Body Dysmorphia.

It's a hard call to give this advice to a stranger you've never physically met in person, but yeah, based on my experience with my husband, your height and weight sound matched.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yeah - my SO is 6'1" and at his heaviest was 175, typically about 160. Though thin, he's perfectly healthy and has some decent muscles.
    It's your body, no one knows what it feels like to be in it, we are so fast to judge and assume when we have no idea what it feels like to be you.
    This may not work for you because you're a guy, but when people ask me, "Well HOW SMALL do you wanna get?" because they think I'm losing to much, I just tell them, "When I look as sexy as I feel, I'll stop" This could work as a response if you add a nice smooth bicep flex ;)
  • PandaPants0612
    PandaPants0612 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your pics and you look fantastic, so screw what people have to say and just concentrate on becoming the healthy person you want to be :)
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    why would anyone says you are anorexic ???

well, this is one the tips my doc gave me to eat less: EAT IN FRONT OF OTHERS
    that's basically because i got a father who justt loooovveee to feeed his forever little girl, just so he won't worry.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Some people are crazy.....no matter....you are not! ;) .... But respect for your loss!
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Oh my goodness. This is so familiar. I'm going through the same thing right now with my family and friends. I was one weight in the month of January and now I've lost about 20 lbs since then. I'm only 5'5 so yea I look difference now versus what I did before. At first people would say how great I look and now it's flipped to "Do you have a problem" or my favoritie "Is something going on in your life". I'm like no...I'm fine. I just eat different and workout better to help loss and sustain my current weight. To get people off my back I say nope I doing great, I feel super healthy, and have tons of energy all the time. I just keep saying things that show how happy I am about my new image so they know nothing is wrong. I do agree with you though....it gets annoying real fast.
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Yea it's frustrating, it surely must be human nature, because I, and lots of others here seem to have had to deal with these comments. Weird thing is after I hear them I start doubting myself and going - am I taking it too far?!?! Argh! I just wish they wouldn't say anything if they can't say something positive! Very few people (there have been a couple!) have actually congratulated me or told me I look good. Most of the time I just get names like "stick" or "where did the other half of you go" etc, etc (lucky I'm conceited enough to tell myself that I'm looking damn fine!!!)

Congratulations on your hard work - keep it up!!! We here all know how hard we have worked and the dedication and commitment to ourselves and our health we have made - big pats on the back to all of us and don't let those niggly little comments put you off track.