Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Salsa or other tomato recipes?

BrownEyedGrrl
BrownEyedGrrl Posts: 144 Member
Anyone have a good salsa recipe they would like to share? Or tomato sauce recipe or other recipes using tomatoes? I literally have hundreds of them from my garden and would like to try making something new with them.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,855 Member
    When we've got a glut of tomatoes, my hubby makes oven dried tomatoes. Tasty in salads, and they also freeze well for sauces.

Slice in half in the latitude direction (they lose more moisture this way). Place in large oven trays or cookie sheets, cut side up, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and herbs. Bake at 100C for 3-4 hours, preferably fan assisted. Don't let them get brittle.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    This fire roasted salsa recipe is amazing. Leave out the fresh jalapenos if you like it less spicy but the chipotles are important. http://blog.bountifulbaskets.org/2012/08/18/a-trio-of-salsa/
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    The best piece of equipment to have in your kitchen for making home made sauces is the Vita-Mix.
    The key is leaving the seeds in because they are loaded with nutrients.
    Throw in whole tomatoes, peppers zucchinis.... Whatever your taste buds desire.
    When my jalapeño plants overflow I make pepper sauce with whole fresh pepper, vinegar and salt. Freeze a bunch and I have hot sauce for the next year.
    I do the same with habañero peppers too.

Vita-Mix also makes awesome frozen fruit drinks. Have fresh fruit, half frozen. If you like a taste of rum *kitten* that too.
    My favorite is half fresh strawberries and half frozen. Sometimes add some Greek yogurt too.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    I just made tomato sauce in my crock pot. Rough chunk all your tomatoes, chop a green pepper, any sweet peppers you might have, and mince a few cloves of garlic.

Heat EVOO and garlic in the crockpot on high for 15-20 min.
    Add tomatoes and peppers
    Add salt/pepper.
    Cook on low for 4 hours.
    Add your favorite italian spices.
    Cook on low for another hour.
    Use a hand blender or put in blender to smooth out.
    Use or freeze.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    BrownEyedGrrl Posts: 144 Member
    Thanx for the ideas! Will definitely try some of them! If anyone else has ideas, let me know!
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    I made gazpacho last week and I really like this version. It made approximately 9 cups for 8 servings @ 111 calories/serving. I would even add less olive oil next time for a tangier gazpacho and fewer calories. I combined all of this in a pot and used my immersion blender to blend until smooth/slightly chunky. Refrigerate for at least a couple hours.

4 lbs heirloom tomatoes
    1 seedless cucumber
    1 large red bell pepper
    1/2 cup red onion
    2 cloves garlic
    3 TBSP red wine vinegar
    2.5 TBSP EVOO (or less depending on your taste)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    For fresh tomatoes...

Cut into bite-size and make a salad with fresh mozarella cheese (the squishy stuff, not the hard stuff) and fresh basil. Add chopped pepperoni for a meal.

Or chop them smaller and mix with salt, pepper, raw red onion, cilatro = salsa.

Or cut whole tomatoes like an apple sprinkle salt and pepper, and eat.

Chop them into cottage sheese.

Can the rest :)