New to running and can use some advice

Options
Hi all! I have started running/jogging in the past 4 months. More or less jogging because I wouldn't qualify my speed as a run. I did my first 5k this past weekend which is a huge accomplishment for me. My time was horrible (45 minutes), but I wasn't focused on time as I was just focused on finishing. I have read articles about focus more on breathing and your form while jogging to prevent injuries. I try my hardest to do that but I notice I tend to lean to my right side and bend my neck over to the right as well and crunch up my shoulders. I try to relax but having a hard time doing that. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, especially the leaning to the right and bending the neck, and if you have any tricks or advice to break me of this habit??? Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    45 minutes is not horrible, btw.....

I do run\walk, but here's a tip that was given to me. As the distance gets longer, I tend to get a bad running form. My current coach suggests concentrate on fixing something during each run interval. My shoulders tend to slump, especially when I run hills. During my run interval, I really concentrate on running with my shoulders back and more upright.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Working on my core helped me, and as you get stronger you're form is easier to maintain without thinking about it.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it's not too uncommon to do weird form things in general while you run. My husband, who ran track for many years, has terrible form and holds up his arms in this funny way like he is a T-Rex (which I love and think is hilarious). He is a much better runner than me, anyway! I think it's harder to compensate for some of the natural tendencies of your body while you run, because you're working hard. If you have a tendency to sit a certain way at the computer for a lot of the day, the ways in which your body is altered by that will show up more when you run. I'm a chronic sloucher so the challenge for me is to straighten up -- but when I do it feels a lot better because when your body is straight your lungs can expand more.

You might try doing more stretching before and after your run. Maybe some neck rolls and shoulder stretches to work on loosening things up generally -- after your run is a good time for some gentle static stretching because your muscles are nice and warm and pliable.

One thing I try to do in order to improve my form is I imagine there is a balloon tied to the crown of my head pulling me up (gently) right there. This helps me to straighten my torso, lower my shoulders, etc.

I also find it impossible to breathe "smoothly" while running because of the impact, but one thing that had worked for me and improved my pacing is to take two inhales for two steps, then two exhales for two steps. I don't know if that explanation makes sense. Basically I coordinate my running with my pace so that each helps to keep the other consistent. If I slow down I slow them together.

Maybe this will be controversial, but when I switched to a semi-minimalist shoe, my personal form was greatly improved. I went from a traditional Brooks shoe to a Brooks PureFlow and it really does help keep me straight and keep me on my mid foot. I had to adjust to not having that massive heel pad but it didn't take long. Anyway I think if your shoes are beat up at all it can really have a big impact on your form.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you spiregrain - lots of great advice there! I just came to snoop at the answers as I'm new to running too :-) only on week 4 of the C25K but loving it so far.

To the OP - well done for your first 5K!!!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I found that m 2+ yrs of yoga really prepared me for running, not only the breathing part but the form and core strength. Really work at getting things lined up and loose, you don't want to start out with bad habits since they are hard to fix once ur used to them. Good luck, running is an art form!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Running faster takes some work. Long easy runs seem to help speed more than speed work (for me), although speed work does help too. I train 4 days a week (sometimes more, but right now 4). I suggest the following:

- 2 mile run
    - 4 mile run
    - 5K run

If you have time, go to the local track and run 8 100 yard dashes and walk the ends. That's about a mile.

Congrats on finishing!

Here is a blog with some more that I wrote.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/surviving-the-long-run-398961
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seriously... 45 minutes for a 5K is sooooooooooooo not horrible. My sister and I did the 'Color me Rad' 5K this weekend and we finished in about 50-55 minutes... (it was super hot and her stomach was bugging her; so it was more walking than jogging). But 45 minutes is super awesome. Don't knock yourself down for that one :wink:

I'm curious the tips others have for jogging and breathing best practices for novice joggers. I find that I can only do about 5-6 minutes jogging at a time; because my breathing becomes erratic and panty. I'll walk for a minute or so (even less sometimes), catch my breath, then jog on... Is that normal?

Any advise for that - I'm all ears.
  • Culley34
    Options
    As far as breathing -- this takes a lot of practice.

I took this tip away from my road biking.

So cyclists, as well as runners: When you breath in, push your stomach out like Buddha! (Yes, I know it sounds counterintuitive...) The point, is that you're basically opening up as much room for your diaphragm as possible to take in as much air as possible, which in turn, provides the most oxygen to your muscles. Next time you watch cyclists on a tough climb -- you'll see them sticking out their stomachs as they take air in. Like I said, it's dificult to get used to, but try it.

Otherwise, if you're racing or running hard - just try to let your body dictate your breathing. I never try this technique when I'm racing, because it screws up my technique.

To the OP - 45 minutes is a good time and it gives you a great goal. Keep working hard and lower your PR (personal record)! Best of luck!
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 5k!! I am new to running as well! I am getting ready to start week 8 of the c25k program and I can tell you that I am only hitting about 2 miles right now in the time for the program. So, I will be extremely happy to do a 5k in 45 minutes!! I am curious to see the tips too! I have read several articles that talk about making sure you stand tall while running! I try to think about how I am standing every so often while running and then correct myself if needed. Can't wait to read some of the other tips everyone posts! Good luck to everyone!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you lose control of your breathing, you are probably going to fast. Slow down a little and get back into a good breathing pattern. I usually count to 2 breathing in and 2 breathing out, regardless of speed. But it took many many miles at 11 min/mile to get my pattern down. I can easily tell if Im going too fast by my breathing.
  • tjungkunz
    Options
    BUMP
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seriously... 45 minutes for a 5K is sooooooooooooo not horrible. My sister and I did the 'Color me Rad' 5K this weekend and we finished in about 50-55 minutes... (it was super hot and her stomach was bugging her; so it was more walking than jogging). But 45 minutes is super awesome. Don't knock yourself down for that one :wink:

I'm curious the tips others have for jogging and breathing best practices for novice joggers. I find that I can only do about 5-6 minutes jogging at a time; because my breathing becomes erratic and panty. I'll walk for a minute or so (even less sometimes), catch my breath, then jog on... Is that normal?

Any advise for that - I'm all ears.

I have a cadence-two breaths in, one long one out and keep repeating-find one that works for you and keep it up, pretty soon you hear your cadence like music and it helps to stabilize you and push you further. it usually takes me about 2 blocks to settle into my cadence and I usually lose it for a little bit after a big hill but I work hard at settling back into it and then everything is fine. Worth a try!