extremely obsese - ? on level of impact for cardio, strength

Options
I'm extremely overweight and have been working with a personal trainer for the last 3 weeks getting into an exercise routine. I have noticed a difference in my energy level (which is great) but as time passes I feel like something I'm doing isn't working for me. My trainer has had me doing lunges and squats (I think she loves them!) I don't want to say no to things since I'm just getting started but I'm beginning to have a lot of trouble with my knees and ankles. It's slowing me down with my walking. Perhaps I've started too early with a trainer and maybe I should just focus on the walking to build up my stamina? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Tell your trainer that those exercises are causing you pain, and you want to stop them.
    Walking should be good enough for a while.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i used to be in your shoes...extremely overweight and no idea where to start....

so i joined Curves...and i will always be grateful to Curves for being there as an option to someone who was 315lbs!

a personal trainer is great....when you have some kind of level of fitness...

i urge you to check if you have a Curves in your area...!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your trainer about it. She should be able to find some exercises that can get the job done without it hurting your knees and ankles. Once you get some of the weight off you can build up to doing the lunges etc again.

If she can't find other exercises, find another trainer!

And good for you for beginning your journey!
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Being as big or bigger than you, and doing it without a trainer... I can say that for now (probably a minimum of 50 or so pounds actually) you should be fine doing just cardio and some weights... Lunges and such aren't the best for any one's joints... but especially not us large folk.
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Definitely tell your trainer that the squats and lunges are causing you pain....if he/she wants you to continue them anyway...find another trainer. I'm not obese and lunges hurt my knees after a while. You don't want to continue doing something that's causing you pain. How about working out on a treadmill or stationary bike or the eliptical or something to maybe try to lose a little bit to take some of the strain of your knees, then progress to the other type of workout that the trainer wants you to do now. I'm not a trainer so I really don't know what else to suggest. All I know is that you shouldn't continue doing something that could be doing damage.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm 319, and I still avoid lunges and squats. They're way too hard on my knees. Even my doctor told me to avoid anything that puts a lot of stress on my knees. I walk, play Wii Fit, and do Turbo Jam (with low-impact modifications).

I think the last time I did squats or lunges without knee pain, I was around 250 or so.

Talk to your trainer and let them know what kind of pain it is. If you say "pain" they might think you're just sore. If it's a sharp, shooting pain, they need to modify your routine.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I would agree with what other people are saying. Let your trainer know you are having knee pains. There's a difference between pushing through the pain of working out and seriously messing up your knees. If the personal trainer still wants you doing them, then switch trainers or just focus on cardio on your own.
  • tlsmoore
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing with me. Hearing from you all reinforces my feelings about the matter. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wimping out. I have been riding a stationary bike and exercising on the elliptical as well on days I didn't meet with the trainer. So I'm just gonna focus on those and will probably put the trainer on hold for a while.
  • tlsmoore
    Options
    i used to be in your shoes...extremely overweight and no idea where to start....

so i joined Curves...and i will always be grateful to Curves for being there as an option to someone who was 315lbs!

a personal trainer is great....when you have some kind of level of fitness...

i urge you to check if you have a Curves in your area...!
    The Curves place near me recently closed. I do have a membership at a gym, though.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You have to tell your trainer what you're feeling. He/she isn't a mind reader!

I started out at 335 lbs and lunges remain a problem for me, but I've learned to love squats. You might too some day, but if your body isn't ready it isn't ready and your trainer (should) respect that limitation. I had to build up some strength in my core and in my legs before I was able to start doing squats.

Don't give up, but be honest with your trainer so they can adjust your work out.