Replies

• verneonisback
    verneonisback Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your response...well said!:wink:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you see a problem for sure but you're putting blame in the wrong place. It's the parents that use these things as tools to keep their kids out of their hair. both of my sons own a DS, we own a wii, and a PS3. My kids play hockey and soccer, they go to karate, they go on a bike ride with us every night after dinner, they walk to and from school. They are children and it is my job to limit and supervise video game and TV time, most days they have to choose between the videogames or a TV show because only a certain amount of time is allowed in front of electronic toys......it's totally up to the parents if they want to take an active role. seems to me you are not surrounded by lazy kids, but by lazy PARENTS.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    like most on here I will argue that it is a parenting issue and parents allowing too much time on there. I think it is easy to turn children in to outcasts among their peers if they don't take part in some of the normal things for their groups.

My sons (19 and 22) grew up wanting to play playstation and other games other the years and, if allowed, would play these to excess, (though of course they were not allowed) However they also played on several football teams at the same time, school/Sunday leagues/private leagues, had paper rounds (newspaper delivery quite common in the uk) walked or biked the 2 miles to school and then back again most days and did spend time outside with friends too up to around the age of 14. At that age they stopped wanting to play out, though still did the sports and walking to and from school but did play playstation 2 (and then 3) more than I liked but with teenagers it is a bit different and in part you dont want them out on the streets as British teens tend to drink and smoke!

The younger one rarely plays now and after work is out at friends/fishing etc while the older one has just completed a degree in designing computer games! (He was addicted for a while and did have us worried)

both are still skinny, healthy lads as they always were.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This is mostly a parenting thing yes but I'm also one of those weird parents that refuses to buy that crap.
    I think it's a waste of money and can think of better things to spend a few hundred dollars on. Maybe I have a different mentality than most being a single parent who's had to not only make the ends meet but keep them tied; I just don't see the point of them.
  • Ophthalmophobia
    Options
    I'm only 18, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm younger than most of you, since most of you are talking as though you already have kids.

I was always encouraged to play video games as a kid. Hell, when I was 3 my mom would sit me on her lap and I would press the "shoot" button when she told me to while she was playing Doom. Yes, my mom's a gamer, and so am I. She never limited me from playing games, pretty much it was as long as I did my homework right after school then I could do whatever I wanted. Some days I chose to play video games or read (hardly ever watched TV). Some days I chose to go down the street and see if any of the neighborhood kids wanted to play.

So, yeah...right now I own a gaming laptop and an Xbox 360 and play on both when I feel like it (moreso the laptop...these graphics are just too awesome). The point I'm trying to make is that gaming didn't cause that kid to be rude or anything. I've never once had any friends over and completely ignored them for a scrap of technology. It's always "What would you like to do?" in this household when guests arrive. And even with all the gaming I didn't turn out half bad: I make good grades in school, hang out with friends as much as humanly possible, eat right + exercising (moreso today than when I was younger), etc. etc. So, no, I don't think gaming is ruining children, it's just the parental skills exercised, and the kids themselves as well. If my mom would've noticed I would sacrifice friendship or academics for video games, then I'm sure she would've limited my time. But I didn't so it wasn't a problem.

Anyways, I type too much. But yeah, what people said: parental problem not gaming problem.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    One more reason I don't want one, is I don't want the daily battle to limit gaming time. . It seems that it would be just one more thing to add to my list of stressors and I REALLY don't need any more of those. .

(and then there's the real danger that I would get addicted myself!).

if you set limits from the get go it won't be a battle. I set a timer and when my boys hear the ding I don't even have to bat an eyelash for them to turn em off, fold em up, and put em away. They know it is just how it is, the way it has been since they began playing. the problems arise when you are inconsistent (ie, let them play all afternoon while you get stuff done, then the next day they don't get why you won't let them play through lunch again)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with what several others have said - it's parenting that's the issue, not the xbox. If it weren't for the xbox, then they'd watch TV or something similar.

I was weird as a child lol and was never interested in TV, but I did like reading. My mum said our neighbours used to think I was strange when I was about 3 as I just wasn't interested in TV. Funnily enough my own 3 year old isn't really bothered about TV. He watches Thomas the Tank Engine on the PC sometimes, and he likes watching Youtube videos of trains (he's a little obsessed with trains) but he is not a child you can sit in front of the TV for a bit of peace and quiet, even if you wanted to! My 16 month old watches a bit of In The Night Garden for maybe 20 minutes before she gets bored. That's the sum total of their TV viewing!

We never, ever stay in. My son will bring his shoes and coat to me and ask to go out if I haven't shown signs of getting ready!

I really hope my kids stay active.

We do have an xbox (my husband's) although he rarely uses it, but he does play games on his PC.

I think if my kids do like playing games when they're older I'll just limit the time they play on it, and we'll still continue to go out a lot.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Just a few other points addressing some comments made up to now:

No, PS3 sucks, X-Box (especially with Kinect) rules.
    Wii is for ... well let's just say I don't like Wii.
    Not only do I remember black & white TV, but I remember when the screen was round.
    I remember when I was the TV remote: "Lou, get up and switch to channel 6".
    I remember when color TV became affordable.
    I remember spending loads of time outside playing as a kid.
    I remember spending loads of time inside reading as a kid.
    I remember spending loads of time watching TV as a kid. (Of course in the 1950s we only had 3 national networks.)
    I remember when parenting became a job instead of what you did naturally and that, folks, is really the problem today.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    One more reason I don't want one, is I don't want the daily battle to limit gaming time. . It seems that it would be just one more thing to add to my list of stressors and I REALLY don't need any more of those. .

if you set limits from the get go it won't be a battle. I set a timer and when my boys hear the ding I don't even have to bat an eyelash for them to turn em off, fold em up, and put em away. They know it is just how it is, the way it has been since they began playing. the problems arise when you are inconsistent (ie, let them play all afternoon while you get stuff done, then the next day they don't get why you won't let them play through lunch again)

Exactly. It really is all about consistency. If you break ONCE they will see weakness and do their level best to exploit that weakness again.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Exactly. It really is all about consistency. If you break ONCE they will see weakness and do their level best to exploit that weakness again.

Yes. . and what parent doesn't break even once!? I won't have to worry about breaking once. . how relaxing!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Not only do I remember black & white TV, but I remember when the screen was round.
    I remember spending loads of time watching TV as a kid. (Of course in the 1950s we only had 3 national networks.)
    I remember when parenting became a job instead of what you did naturally and that, folks, is really the problem today.

:heart:

Best comment of the thread! :flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I gotta say that maybe the people who are calling this a parenting problem, and not a console/electronics problem, are too young to remember what life was like before computer gaming.
    Me? I remember black and white TV.
    We were so much more active. Bike riding from one kid's house to the next looking for something exciting. Pick-up-football and basketball and kill-the-pill for hours. All day baseball in the summer. Swimming and tennis on the off days.
    I have two teenage sons. They turn on an electronic game before they eat breakfast, and from what I can tell, their friends and other age-mates are no different.
    The games are too addictive. And, I am not so worried about the lack of activity they cause as I am the lack of imagination and socialization that occurs because the kids always have their nose on a screen.
    I do not think I am perfect because i did not have computers in my life, and I don't think people who have grown up with them are necessarily deeply flawed. But I have noticed my kids missing out. I have definitely seen that my older son became very isolated because he could sit with the games and tune out his troubles.

It's a parenting problem, I can say that with barely being able to remember B&W TV and growing up in the Nintendo, SNES, and Sega Genisis generation but somehow played outside all day and might play some video games at night....MIGHT.

I've got 2 kids, a Wii and as PS3. We might play either of the 2...once or twice a month. We like to be outside, but sometimes it's fun to play the console on rainy days, or nights when it's just me and the kids.

Too many parents find the console as a cheap babysitter.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Parenting's not a job...it's an adventure!!!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I disagree with your final sentence. I think back in the day, parenting was a lot easier because there weren't so many perceived and real dangers and so many products and influences geared at kids. Kids basically went outside to play and that's how they learned to interact with each other and with the world at large. Now, we have to be much more vigilant. It DOES take on aspects of a job. There are dangers that didn't exist before that we now have to worry about. We, as parents, do need to know what our kids are doing and analyze whether it's healthy. There's a TON of information on the internet to help us make the right decisions (including information on Video-Game addiction).

Also. . the natural inclination of a parent is not always the best. People basically haven't evolved since the cromags appeared. Do you think the same instincts that allowed the human race to survive then, still apply today? And do all parents have the SAME instincts when it come to raising children? Hardly. It's up to us to think about what we are doing and research parenting styles and discuss parenting with our fellow parents to try to form a strategy that works best for our particular kid(s). Parenting IS a job. . but it's a labor of love that we do because there's nothing more important to us than raising healthy children. If I could be paid to parent my son, I would quit my 'real' job in a heartbeat!
  • Jennloella
    Options

I disagree with your final sentence. I think back in the day, parenting was a lot easier because there weren't so many perceived and real dangers and so many products and influences geared at kids. Kids basically went outside to play and that's how they learned to interact with each other and with the world at large. Now, we have to be much more vigilant. It DOES take on aspects of a job. There are dangers that didn't exist before that we now have to worry about. We, as parents, do need to know what our kids are doing and analyze whether it's healthy. There's a TON of information on the internet to help us make the right decisions (including information on Video-Game addiction).

Also. . the natural inclination of a parent is not always the best. People basically haven't evolved since the cromags appeared. Do you think the same instincts that allowed the human race to survive then, still apply today? And do all parents have the SAME instincts when it come to raising children? Hardly. It's up to us to think about what we are doing and research parenting styles and discuss parenting with our fellow parents to try to form a strategy that works best for our particular kid(s). Parenting IS a job. . but it's a labor of love that we do because there's nothing more important to us than raising healthy children. If I could be paid to parent my son, I would quit my 'real' job in a heartbeat!

I have to agree with you here. Now a days I have to protect my kids while they're at school from bullies because the schools no longer crack down, protect them from pedophiles while playing sports because you just can't trust anyone anymore, protect them from other kids because younger and younger they are doing drugs and having sex, protect them from prime time TV because so much sex is allowed on it now, and protect them from the internet (which is often required for assignments. whew. I'm tired! I remember walking all over town and coming home at dark, I don't know a parent now that can do that. I live on the quietest, prettiest, snooty cul de sac I've ever seen, and I don't let them play out of my sight.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I have to agree with you here. Now a days I have to protect my kids while they're at school from bullies because the schools no longer crack down, protect them from pedophiles while playing sports because you just can't trust anyone anymore, protect them from other kids because younger and younger they are doing drugs and having sex, protect them from prime time TV because so much sex is allowed on it now, and protect them from the internet (which is often required for assignments. whew. I'm tired! I remember walking all over town and coming home at dark, I don't know a parent now that can do that. I live on the quietest, prettiest, snooty cul de sac I've ever seen, and I don't let them play out of my sight.

Excuses...

There have always been bullies. There have always been pedophiles. Etc. etc.

My kids walk and ride their bikes and play outside, just like the rest. And statistically, there are half as many child abductions and acts of violence against children today than there was 40 and 50 years ago, back when there was little education of such things.

Parents need to stop being so paranoid and teach their kids about dangers, then let them be kids. I feel sorry for any kid, especially a teenager, that is not allowed to ride their bike or walk through their neighborhood. It's really sad.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Parenting's not a job...it's an adventure!!!

^^^THIS!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Excuses...

There have always been bullies. There have always been pedophiles. Etc. etc.

My kids walk and ride their bikes and play outside, just like the rest. And statistically, there are half as many child abductions and acts of violence against children today than there was 40 and 50 years ago, back when there was little education of such things.

Parents need to stop being so paranoid and teach their kids about dangers, then let them be kids. I feel sorry for any kid, especially a teenager, that is not allowed to ride their bike or walk through their neighborhood. It's really sad.

Agreed, that sounded like a whole lotta paranoid.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I grew up gaming. As a 4 year old my parents ran a grocery store that had Ms. Pacman and Galaga. For $.50 my babysitter for an entire afternoon was Galaga. I was AWESOME. The owner of the machine kept asking who JFT was because i had the highest scores in his service area. He met me one day when i was decked out in my superman T-shirt and underroos and couldn't believe it was me setting all the high scores.

I then grew up bicycling around my neighborhood and fishing. Also played little league baseball and summer tennis. Played 5 sports in high school. Played the **** out of video games growing up and now. Went from atari 2600/7800 to nintendo to super nintendo to playstation, then PS2 to XBOX to Wii and now PS3.

I'm just awesomer than most, but my love of video games doesn't get in the way of anything in my life.