I've had an epiphany!

Options
Hi, my name is Amy -

I just started fitness pal yesterday. I've done weight watchers a couple times. I lost 35 pounds the first time but promptly put it all back on when my sister died . Part of our family education at the center where she was going for alcoholism treatment was an assignment to do something nice for ourselves. I decided my gift to myself would be to get healthy and I promptly began weight watchers. When my sister came home from treatment we had a "date night" on Thursdays...I would go to WW and then pick her up and go with her to AA (she wasn't physically strong enough to go alone). It was the closest I had been to her in years. When she relapsed I gave up and plateaued; when she died (of liver failure) it became my mission to put my body back to how it was before she and I had begun our journey to health together...

I just now realized how this all went together as I was writing it... anyway - I did try ww a couple more times but never with my original strength of purpose so of course did not do well or last long. I love the food and exercise tracking of MFP; I actually prefer it to the e-tools of WW which I had to pay for.

I need to digest this new realization, but I now understand that I had a subconscious feeling that for me to continue our quest without her would be a betrayal of my sister. That's not right though; she would want me to succeed. I intend to do that.

Replies

• sweetteacher123
    Options
    I think it's great that you are focusing on the health benefits of a healthy weight! So many times when dieting, we focus on our looks (which should be important to us), but we forget about the horrible, unhealthy harms that being overweight/obese have. Keep up the good work! I hope your epiphany helps you make progess to be healthy and happy!
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good luck and make your sister proud!!! i understand the epiphany thing, I had that 2 weeks ago as well and this site has helped me more than any WW meeting ever did, which I have done for years. I find food my drug of choice and working on changing that and you can too!!
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good luck Amy :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    the "betrayal" to your sister would be if you DIDN'T do this for yourself. Good for you for figuring that out!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amy and good luck with your weight loss. You will succeed. God bless you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Do this for you! It will make you soul feel better!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Amy, do this for you:flowerforyou: in honor of your sister. Good Luck on your new adventure with MFP!:bigsmile:
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    Wow, you are obviously a strong, insightful woman to come to such a realization. You will find that this community is very supportive and compassionate; two very critical traits in a partner in your journey.

Best of luck to you and congrats on taking the first step (a big one!) to rediscovering yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Amy, first, I am so sorry for your loss. I have two sisters and i can't imagine life without them. Secondly, good for you for digging deep inside yourself to figure out what you want, what got you where you and where you are headed. Lots of people just think i want to lose weight but don't really figure out why they gained it in the first place. Third, you might want to check out foodlovers.com. I've been on their program for 4 months and have lost 42 lbs and 44.5 inches. I basically get to eat want I want all day long with some tweaks in what I'm buying (white pasta vs. whole wheat pasta) and how I'm cooking it (frying vs baking) and what my portions are. This program actually teaches you about food, your body and has a wonderful support website. I use MFP to track my calories, my water, and my exercise but I actually owe my success to the Food Lover's program. It gives you all the tools to really change your lifestyle and keep off the weight. Take care! Christine
  • Baerlin
    Options
    wow, what a journey!!! :flowerforyou: Stay strong and for what it is worth...do it for your sister. She would have wanted it for you!

Good luck

Silke
  • hklbry
    Options
    Way to GO! you can do this. I just started yesterday also, and while it feels overwhelming...visualize the end results you are looking for and keep that in mind. If you went to AA with your sister then you should know the serenity prayer...right? Repeat that every day. good luck, and have fun with this process too.