Can you retrain your taste buds to like healthy foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes...part of it is cutting out crap so your body breaks it's habit for wanting it. The other part is finding foods you enjoy eating.

The second part is the biggest thing...you may have to experiment with different cooking methods to see what may work for you. I have found over time I ADORE acorn squash - so yummy...also I never thought in a million years I would eat brussel sprouts...but a friend of mine cut them, tossed them with some EVOO, sea salt and cracked pepper and roasted them in the oven...YUMMM

The big thing for me was going ahead and trying new things...and some things a few different ways...
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I read a study in some psychology magazine that you can train your taste buds. They suggested that you pair foods you don't enjoy with foods you do, and it takes about 20 meals.

I used to loathe oatmeal but now I eat it almost everyone morning.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Yes, your taste buds can change to like foods or dislike foods when you have the foods or don't have the foods. It takes about two weeks to start the tasting change, but the more you stick with it, the more you can train your taste buds.
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found that after a few weeks of eating healthy, its all my body wanted, and junk made me feel yucky. There is healthy junk food tho... its all about making smart substitutions
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    You can retrain your taste buds and your stomach. Those foods will always taste good to you, but the more healthy options you try, the more you will like those options. Keep in mind, healthy options can be flavorful, also. Spice up your healthy food with spices, seasonings, herbs, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, fruits, and veggies. Just because it is healthy doesn't mean it is bland, and that's a mistake that many people make. You can also retrain your stomach. What I mean by that is after eating healthy for a long period of time, though the fatty food may taste good, it will make you almost feel ill. I spent a weekend out of town and ate whatever I wanted all day on Saturday. I still felt sick Sunday morning from the larger portions and the fatty, rich food I ingested. It takes time though. Keep working hard!
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your wonderful replies!!! It's very motivating to hear that it is possible. I sat here with my salad in front of me for over an hour and ended up eating almost the whole thing, and now I am soooo full!!! :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I saw a TV programme some years ago which stated that you can train yourself to like a food by making yourself eat the food 10 times, and at the end of the trial, you are likely to end up liking the food (the idea was proposed to get kids to eat greens). I tried this with salmon, and it is now one of my favourite foods.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh yes- I have the same problem. But, if you stick with it, fried, sugary, and overly salted foods will begin to taste greasy and far too filling- and your BODY will feel the difference as you digest, too. Soon, heavy foods will feel that way and you will begin to crave your salads just to clean out!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I really do think it is an addiction to junk food. The more you eat, the more you crave. Drink lots of water, eat healthier food that tastes good to you and you will "detox". Certain foods used to trigger a binge for me (including diet pop). I haven't experienced that in nearly 3 mos. Eating lean protein helped me and I see you are trying that. Give it time! Good luck!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Hunger is the best condiment, as they say. Whenever I don't feel like eating cold unsalted porridge, I know I'm not hungry yet. After a proper workout... bring it on :smile:

Just an example. Not saying that food should be disgusting or anything.