My 'I ate what?' NSV

Options
This weekend I fell off MFP radar. I didn't track my food, I didn't do my usual workout and I didn't think too hard about what I ate. I had family in town, and for my family - gatherings always mean one thing. Eating. This weekend was no different. Here's what I ate:

Lasagna and garlic bread
Waffles with real butter and syrup, sausage, potatoes and eggs
Full turkey dinner with all the trimmings including gravy
Pumpkin pie, tiramisu cake, ice cream...ice cream cake
Pizza
Tacos, guac, chips, salsa, margarita

Sounds horrible right?? (In a yummy sort of way.) Guess how much weight I gained?

0. Zip. Nada!

How is that even possible?? Here's what was different about this weekend:

I enjoyed my food, I didn't inhale it.
I ate lots of veggies in addition to everything above.
I didn't get seconds. I ate enough to be content at each meal and then stopped. I never felt ill or over stuffed.
Despite the number of desserts mentioned, I actually skipped dessert one night. I didn't want it, so I didn't eat it.
I walked a TON. And that may the biggest thing that helped. We did lots of shopping (i.e. walking) and we played disc golf. New game for me, a lot of fun and involves a lot of, you got it - walking!

It was such a wonderful weekend, my NSV aside! But I'm so very happy that it didn't end with me undoing the good I've done the last few weeks and feeling like I have to start over again today. And now I'm back to my usual and (fairly) clean way of eating.

No food/guilt hangover here!

Replies

• nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV and great way to show the importance of balance...here's to your new lifestyle!!! :drinker:
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There ya have it folks....we can have cake and eat it too. :laugh:

I see people here time and time again trying to completely give up on foods they love. Life is too short. However, you make a very valid point in that we need to know and listen to our bodies. When we're full - STOP eating. Understnad you don't need seconds. Keep moving and most of all have some cake!! Every now and then is not going to derail the progress - its the every day cake and pizza and such that causes issue.

GOOD JOB!!!!!
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The state fair is in town and my only reason for going to the fair is the FOOD!!! I went Saturday and had my traditional turkey leg, corn on the cob (with butter), gumbo, corn dog and the best part- a giant cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting. I did do about 5 hours of walking at a leisurely pace so that helped and really i didn't go over my calorie goal too bad.
    Didn't gain or lose so that was a good day!!! :drinker:
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is probably the real difference in dieting and lifestyle change.

I started on mfp about a month ago and since I haved tried so many diets in the past this time I decided to just try and eat less of the things my family normally eats and gradually change things up to be more healthy. I also try and have even more veggies than before although we did eat a lot already - at least most days. But over the last month I too have had lasagna, garlic bread, pizza and the like but like you said I only eat what I need and try not to overdo any of it. And surprise, surprise it has worked.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.
  • banks89202
    Options
    That is awesome! Good job :)
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yay for a great weekend. I am in the same boat....my daughter was in the hospital for two weeks, so that meant less exercise and less careful eating for me....and I'm not quite back to daily exercising and recording everything...but the weight has stayed stable and even dropped a little. I think "binging" doesn't even mean what it used to mean!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have reached that place where I no longer log daily. I too love that I've learned to slow down, chew not inhale, and enjoy being active again so that I might find sustainable change and be able to graduate from daily counting.
  • MrsVtec
    MrsVtec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! This was my first post. :) I've lost and regained a lot over the years, and I know it was because of an all or nothing mindset. I've always known better, but for some reason this time seems to be different and I'm having a much easier time staying balanced.

Oh, and we had our state fair a couple weeks ago too - it was another good experience. Shared a lot, walked a lot, didn't make myself ill on food. This is the type of lifestyle that will work for me. Some people choose to give up certain foods altogether, or avoid certain social situations to avoid eating, etc. If you can do that forever, that's great, but that's not me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!