No late night "junk"snacking - Feb 1-6

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78150-no-late-night-junk-snacking-01-25-2010-to-01-31-2010

Many times, we may have a great day as far as eating healthy, getting in our exercise, right up through dinner. But then the after-dinner munchies start to happen. We sit in front of the TV or we get a snack for our kids and we realize that we are eating potato chips, ice cream, chocolate bar, when in reality we didn't even really want it.

That is what this thread is about. For some of us, we make a cut off time that may vary from day to day and decide not to eat anything past that time at all (usually about 2 hours before bed). For other, we may make a resolve to simply not put anything processed in our mouths past that given time and keep everything natural.

Whichever way you do it, please come join us and encourage us and be motivated to keep your day healthy even past dinnertime.

Replies

• dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Here's to Feb :drinker: and taking it one week at a time. Actually, night by night :smile:.
    I'm sticking to 9 p.m. and attempting to be in bed at 11.
  • sparklepants
    sparklepants Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh brilliant thread!!!!

I do this every night, it's like I neeeed a little naughty snack!!! I think it's just habit so I am definitely with you on cutting it out!!

I resolve to not eat anything after my dinner.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've learned a good technique for avoiding the late night snacks. I do my food long in the evening after dinner, and when I realize that I am usually at my calorie maximum for the day, bingo, it is way easier to avoid that darn snacking. And, since I know that I want to relax with a cocoa every cold evening, I plan ahead for those 50 calories. I've learned that for me, putting my evening snack INTO my meal plan for the day allows me to have the snack (or beverage) without going over my daily calorie allotment. Win-win, because I am happy AND I am within my calorie allotment.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I've learned a good technique for avoiding the late night snacks. I do my food long in the evening after dinner, and when I realize that I am usually at my calorie maximum for the day, bingo, it is way easier to avoid that darn snacking. And, since I know that I want to relax with a cocoa every cold evening, I plan ahead for those 50 calories. I've learned that for me, putting my evening snack INTO my meal plan for the day allows me to have the snack (or beverage) without going over my daily calorie allotment. Win-win, because I am happy AND I am within my calorie allotment.

I too have a hot cocoa in the evenings - 50 calories - and keep 9PM as my time limit. I do not wake starved this way. All figured in my daily food journal.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with planning for the snacks that you look forward to. For me, ice cream is my weakness, I can't wait until its all gone. I saw yesterday that they are out of it at the NEX! I was so excited! I know, it's wierd to be happy when they don't stock something, but I lacked the control.

lulabelle: Kudos for you for passing up the ice cream the other night! :smile:
  • sdgreen17
    sdgreen17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry to go MIA last week everyone, I've had one hell of a week. School started back up, and handling that while working full time has definitely thrown my stress level into high gear. I have to wait until the kids go to bed before the intense studying can begin, so I just THOUGHT I was struggling with this before!

I think the cut-off time is out the window, since I will up until midnight or so. Instead, this week I resolve to keep my late-night snacking HEALTHY, to a minimum, and within my calorie limits.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Crash and burn last night. Bad attitude on my part. Over on calories and definitely over on junk. But today is a new day...so hopefully I can keep it together :)
  • sparklepants
    Options
    Well, one night down!!!

I actually ate rather a lot during the day so it wasn't too hard to not eat last night.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    sdgreen, love your attitude and your signature. Make healthy choices, avoid eating mindlessly and you're on the right path. The problem I have with late night eating is that I put one thing after another in my mouth, going overboard. If you can stay within your calories, then keep counting!

Lulabelle, I had the same kind of start last week and then made it 6 nights in a row! So don't get discouraged.

I've got the same story as sparklepants (looking good in a dress, girl! :wink:), though I was affraid I won't make it, cos I did not feel too well, so I did not have proper dinner. But I was strong after 9: no more food :drinker: (water only :smile:). So 1 + 7 (1 night down, 7 in a row of being well-behaved - in this challenge, that is :wink:)
  • teetee1281
    Options
    So far so good for the week. For the last 2 nights, I'd be eating dinner and glance at the clock and surprised that it is only 630pm. Which tells me for sure that I would be done before my goal. Hopefully tonight will be 3 nights in a row, especially, since I was all confused and thought the little function was tonight, but its on Sat.
  • sparklepants
    Options
    Well I didn't eat any junk, but OH got in a lot later than I thought and so I didn't have my dinner until 9.45! But it was just vegetable casserole so not too bad.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Tue is my night of having something light after 9p.m., since I get home late. Did that last night: had corn flakes with milk and nothing more. So 2 nights down, yeay!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    SUCCESS. One night out of two.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    SUCCESS. One night out of two.

Told ya you can do it! :wink:. Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • sparklepants
    Options
    Well done :o)) I'll be getting home late tonight but I have asked OH to get me some veggies in the steamer!!! So hopefully I wont go on a rampage in the kitchen!

Well done Lulabellewoowoo!!
  • teetee1281
    Options
    Success! I saw double success because I fought the urge to have a bowl of ice cream, instead I had a teaspoon of honey for the sweetness and to hopefully kill the crave.

I'm happy for you Lulabelle, Dewdrop was right, you'd get back on track!
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    MIA for several weeks....
    Late night I was a good girl! Tonight I am hoping for the same.

So 1 of 7 for me.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    Great job everyone! Very encouraging.

Well, another true success. My son had a bible reading last night in Spanish in front of 100 people, so I knew we were going out late for a celebration. I just ordered a cup of their side of vegetables and drank diet soda. Didn't even take a tiny taste of the carrot cake. :smile: :smile: /3 for me :)
  • dewdrop
    Options
    lulabelle, so proud of ya! :flowerforyou:.
    teetee, you're doing really well, girl. Inspirational, when it come to ice cream (makes one feel ashame if they even think of ice cream in the evening, hehe)
    Wanda, so glad you're back with us! At least you'll see me doing well and not just failing (as I do with our other challenge :embarassed: ):

3 good days this week and 10 days in a row (wow, I am amazed at myself :wink:).

I was thinking last night, while keeping an eye on the watch during supper, "hey, I'm beginning to love this". I'm pretty sure I would've snacked after dinner, if it weren't for the challenge. lulabelle, thanks for keeping this going.
  • sparklepants
    Options
    Had dinner a bit late again last night because I was at the hairdressers but kept it light and didn't snack afterwards :o))

3 days down!! :o)) Keep it up everyone!!! x