And what about AFTER you reached your ultimate goal?

Hi everyone.

I don't know if many of you have actually reached their ultimate goal. If you did, what was the next step?

And if you are going towards your ultimate goal, are you thinking about what's coming next?

I want to lose 100 pounds. When I'll be done with it, I will weigh 245 lbs, and I'll probably have some extra skin ;)
I'm thinking about Muay-Thaï classes. Or maybe Jiu-Jitsu, which looks a little more passive.

What about you?

Edit: typos.

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    For me, getting fit is more about a lifestyle change than a goal. I lost 40 lb before I joined here, so I am already at my "ideal" weight. Now, I have smaller goals just to keep me motivated: I want to bulk up my upper body a bit; I want to run a little bit further and a little bit faster. Anything to keep moving and maintain the gains I have made. So just find something that you enjoy, and do it!
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Why wait, I am trying to lose more than 40 pounds. I workout almost daily trying to tone as I lose. Once I reach my goal I hope to have created good habits to continue so not to gain my weight back. I consider this a life style change. Once I am where I want to be, I want to stay there. I think the what is next is up to you. What do you want to come next?
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    Yeah same for me, my lifestyle is changing, and I want to make it evolve and stay that way. First I need to loose the weight, then I want to maintain it by doing something a little more intense.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Post weight loss life is why I have never said I was on a diet. Rather, I changed my life style. (lost a little over 80 lbs in 2011)

This is an ongoing thing, that will never end.

I still have some "weight" to lose but, I am relatively happy now with my body. Now my goals relate to performance rather than my weight.

Note: Managing my food vs exercise is still a challenge and I expect that it will always be a challenge. Kind of like how an alcoholic always craves a drink and an ex-smoker always craves a cigarette! But, I will prevail.

I started running Jan 1st this year. First time since high school. Ran 3 km in 45 min. Yesterday I completed my third 10k run this summer @ 53 min. My goal for next summer - Hit 45 minutes. I will accomplish this goal by maintaining my training and with the help of my awesome group of running buddies!

A few weeks ago I passed my Blue belt test for Jeet Kune Do. With a decent effort over the next 2 years, I should earn my Black Belt in time for my 50th birthday.

So, there is life beyond weight loss and it is a good life filled with the possibility of accomplishments I never dared dream about 2 years ago!

Keep up the work and keep your focus. You will achieve your goals.

All the best on your journey!

PS - Jiu-Jitsu is hard core and not at all passive! I recommend highly! No disrespect to Muay Thai!! Just that I have some experience with Jiu-Jitsu through JKD. I am sure you will enjoy which ever you decide to try.
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    I still have some "weight" to lose but, I am relatively happy now with my body.

Indeed, you did a great job! Thanks for your input.
    I'll also check with the gym guys, they might have some advice. At 245 lbs, they might tell me to try regular boxing first eheh.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    After I hit my ultimate goal I'll have to work to maintain it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I don't have an "ultimate" goal. I have a couple of goals that when met will lead to the next goals. Right now I have a goal to finish a 5K in less than 23:00. When I accomplish that I will reset that goal to 22:00. I have a goal to finish a half-marathon. When I have done that I will establish a time goal for the next one. I have a goal to bench press/squat/deadlift certain weights. Once I've done that I'll raise the goal.

Basically my "ultimate" goal is to be stronger and faster than I am now.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I reached my goal. Now I have new non-weight loss related goals. One being maintaining.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    I reached my goal. Now I have new non-weight loss related goals. One being maintaining.

This! I now find that my workouts are less focused on burning calories as I find that the maintenance calorie budget is enough most days, so now I'm focusing on improving my 5k time, building strength, and toning. But, other than the 5k time, I'm not sure how to measure progress on the others, so I'm struggling a bit with motivation.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Hi - I reached my weight loss goals and so like the above poster, I've had to develop some new interests....I guess I'm a goal oriented type of person - lol!

Learning to eat correctly and get the right amount of exercise took quite a bit of creative thinking as well as doing....so now that all that is established, I've focused on other creative projects...for me that is some painting and art type projects. Working so far!

Good luck !!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I reached my ultimate goal a few months ago then decided I wanted to lose another 10-15 lbs LOL. But right now my goals are more health and fitness based. My goal right now is to finish the 30 day shred I just finished Level 2 Day 3 so I am on my way only 17 more days to go.......:smile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    A weight loss goal IS NOT a Total Health Goal. Attaining and Maintaining GOOD HEALTH is a Life Long Pursuit...that is why the GOAL of GOOD HEALTH is a Lifestyle and Life Long Journey. Weight Loss is really just an Objective to meeting the Goal of Good Health. OR if you want to say that Weight Loss is a Goal, then Good Health is the MISSION...At any rate, weight loss is NOT the Ultimate.

When I get to My desired weight RANGE (because weight is always in Flux and to set a specific number is asking for disappointment) I'll say thank GOD and continue to Live Healthily and ENJOY My LIFE!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    1.) Assess goals
    2.) Reach ultimate goal
    3.) Look in mirror, stick out lower lip, go to step 1
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    My goals- I want to get into belly dancing classes (might do this before though because I hear it's a GREAT work out)

But once I hit my ultimate goal, I do not plan to live a life like I did constantly playing games and doing nothing. I intend to do at least 4-5 benefit runs or biking a year. I also plan to join a martial arts class. But for the treat to me reaching my goal, I want to learn to surf and snowboard. Other than that, once I hit it I'm going to start hiking and doing some other stuff outside. I never want to live prisoner to a game system again!
  • I reached my goal. Now I have new non-weight loss related goals. One being maintaining.
    That's why I am still here after reaching my weight goal. I appreciate the support and am motivated by keeping track of what i eat and exercise. I am afraid if I stop monitoring, I'll quickly gain back the weight! I am looking for the "right" 1/2 marathon and marathon over this next year to do. I like how MFP monitors sodium, sugar, calcium, fiber, etc, so I can have the daily goal of eating right for optimal health.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Thank you for spelling LOSE correctly. That is all.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    And what about AFTER you reached your ultimate goal?

My ultimate goal is to stay fit my entire life... I guess I'll be dead and what ever lies on the other side better have a squat rack.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    more goals
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    When I finally decided earlier this summer to make some lifestyle changes and joined MFP I sat down and wrote out a page of goals of all different types everything from losing weight to re-organizing my bookshelves (a herculean task). Losing the weight is just one of the goals I've got. As for health / exercise related goals - once the weight comes off some of my goals are
    - complete insanity and still be breathing
    - complete JM 30DShred
    - I want to run a 5 / 10 k
    - eventually I'd like to try a triathalon - but that ones quite a ways off!

As others have said this is a life style change - so there are all kinds of goals you can set for yourself - some small some not so small. good luck whatever goals you decide are for you!
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    As soon as I reach my ultimate goal, I'm going to set a new ultimate goal.