stretch marks and loose skin

Options
im 23, with two kids. and just with the 30 pound weightgain/loss with my son, whos now three months old. ive noticed the skin on my inner arms and the back of my knees (of all places) isnt as taught as id like. id ultimately like to lose 70 pounds from my current weight. but im afraid all look worse than i do now with all of the extra skin.
is there anything, anything at all to help with this. i know theres no miracle lotion but is there anything you guys use to lessen this problem

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're very young and - as you can tell having had just a baby - your body can change a lot.

The stretch marks came when you gained volume quickly. They will fade to silver. They will not get worse as you get thinner.

The extra skin you have will probably also get much smaller. Unless your mother or sisters had extra skin forever after a pregnancy, you probably won't either.

It will help if you slowly introduce strength training because it tightens up the muscles that hold your skin tight to your body.

Two points about being afraid to lose. First, it is so much healthier to be the right weight. It just is. You want to be healthy for yourself and your family. Second, you will look better when you are fit. It may take a while. I know after both my kids my belly looked like whipped cream. But I did a lot of walking and lost all the weight I'd put on when pregnant - and then some. And kept walking and doing some core exercises and suddenly I had a toned belly again. And my bottom and hips and everything else looked trim. And my arms were strong and in shape.

Good diet and a slow weight loss with some core strength training will make you healthy and you will look better long term. There aren't a lot of options.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As long as you lose slowly you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Being young is a big help, but there's really no way for us to predict how bad it would get honestly. It's different for everyone.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water and use lotion and keep your skin moisturized - it will go back to normal as you lose weight. The stretch marks will fade over time.
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been concerned about the same thing. Glad someone asked this.
  • konekkobaba
    Options
    hydrate, moisturize, and mild cardio and lifting weights will help your post-pregnancy skin bounce back, like posted above, stetch marks appear due to the skin's inability to expand with rapid gains of weight thru pregnancy or just plain fast weight gain, they probably won't ever go away fully, the hallmarks of Motherhood =). Some ladies have very elastic supple skin, and unfortunately, not everyone does! Take good care of yourself, and make sure you have ample nutrition to help your body be the best it can, good luck!