Interval Training and Adding Cals to Daily Allowance

So I just started the BodyRock (http://www.BodyRock.Tv/) May 30-day challenge, in which I complete 12 minutes of tough interval exercises Mon-Fri. The whole BodyRock philosophy (basically) is that if you do this along with eating light and clean, you can transform your body... with the intention being that you integrate this permanently into your lifestyle.

That being said, I'm a cardio girl; I'm used to working it hard for 60 minutes and getting at least a 600-calorie burn that I can add into my daily allowance. I've read a lot of opinions stating the benefits of strength training over cardio, mostly because you are building muscle and increasing your metabolism and fat burning ability (rather than potentially burning muscle with cardio).

My dilemma: I believe that these BodyRock workouts will really help rev my metabolism and, over time, transform my figure, but when I'm only logging a 120-calorie burn per day, it doesn't give me much extra to add to my calorie intake (which I feel like I need). Aside from the obvious, which is doing *more* exercise (I don't honestly think I could do that- after BodyRock I am gasping for air and totally tanked), I just don't know how to solve this issue.

Does anyone out there have any words of advice or enlightenment? Anything would really be appreciated!

Oh, and I am 6'1", 159 lbs, BMR of 1530, TDEE of 1828 and I have set my MFP daily goal to my BMR.

Replies

• kwd47
    kwd47 Posts: 6 Member
    I am very familiar with BodyRock and similar type workouts.

Your dilemma is a math problem. To stay within your BMR limits, you only eat what you burn. If your goal is to lose weight, you will accomplish it...if you stick with the principles taught on MFP.

After rocking the May 30-day Challenge (and working hard), you should be stronger and faster at your regular 60 minute workouts.

But, weight loss can be accomplished by simply following the weight loss principles...whether you run for 60 minutes or BodyRock for 20.
  • westmitten
    westmitten Posts: 27 Member
    To stay within your BMR limits, you only eat what you burn. If your goal is to lose weight, you will accomplish it...if you stick with the principles taught on MFP.

Thanks for the response. I guess my point was that if I burn 600 calories doing cardio, that's 600 more calories I *could* eat back if I so wished. Doing BodyRock doesn't give me nearly that amount, but yet, it might be better for my body in the end.

I just want to be able to eat a little more, lol!
  • kwd47
    kwd47 Posts: 6 Member
    I understand your dilemma completely.

After doing a BodyRock workout, if you get to be too hungry and feel like you need more calories, then try splitting the difference for a week. Eat back the 120 calories you burned + 1/2 of the other remaining calories you used to eat after doing cardio....120 + (600 - 120/2) = 360. Eat back 360 calories and see if you still lose weight while also losing the edge off your cravings.

If you're not losing weight with the above method, then try eating back your workout calories PLUS a few more. Eat items with very little calories but rich in nutrients...like a carrot or an extra cup of lettuce or celery. It should help abate the hunger feeling/thoughts without adding too many calories to your ledger (a medium sized carrot is like 2 calories).

Remember the BMR calculations are only estimates. Your body may need more calories anyway. And, you may burn more than 120 calories during a BR workout, especially if you rock it hard the entire workout. Hope it helps.
  • Hey Westmitten,

I just wanted to chime in on your calorie dilemma. First off, if you're only burning 120 calories per workout, then you're probably doing one of two things:

1) Miscalculating the amount of calories that you burned.
    2) Not pushing hard enough.

1) Miscalculation is easy when it comes to bodyrock, for a few reasons. First, if you only count the time that you're working out, you're not counting the time afterwards during which your heart rate, temperature, and (commensurately) metabolism is elevated. Usually after I finish a workout, my heart rate doesn't return to normal for about 5-8 minutes. This time is effectively working out, as far as calories are concerned. Furthermore, bodyrock targets major muscle groups by using intense compound movements. As a result, you should see an increase in lean muscle mass, which should be directly correlated with an increased basal metabolic rate. When taken together, these two factors lead me to estimate that a bodyrock should actually burn around 250-400 calories, depending on your bodyweight and current fitness level.

2) Add more sets! I've been bodyrocking since the site started, and I still stick with the old format of four rounds of four exercises, instead of the newer three rounds. The last round is usually very difficult, and lets your work to exhaustion. This should rapidly deplete the glycogen from your muscles and give you greater gains in lean mass (just don't forget to eat a little sugar afterwards to regain that lost glycogen). I also usually warm up by jumping rope for ten minutes. This is a great starter because it's mid-range cardio that uses your whole body. It also helps ensure that you don't go in to your bodyrock cold, which can be dangerous. If I don't jump rope, I at least put on some music and dance for 3-4 minutes. Has a similar effect, and is lots of fun!

I hope some of my suggestions are helpful for you.

-Eric