"Starvation Mode"

Options
"Starvation mode is a myth. It was popularized due to the Minnesota Starvation Experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) in which subjects were given 50% of their daily calorie intake for months. The result? Well, they lost weight until they had almost no weight left to lose and their bodies simply could not get the calories ANYWHERE. Concisely put: starvation mode happens when you are, quite literally, wasting away. Not when you have a simple caloric deficit. Your body will make up for it with fat stores. That's what they're for. Do not worry about starvation mode (http://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode.html)."

Thoughts?

Replies

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The summary:
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

The research:
    http://archive.unu.edu/unupress/food2/UID07E/UID07E11.HTM

Totally agree, but it has to be taken with caution. The body does slow down metabolism when put to any caloric deficit, but you will still lose weigh, just at a slower rate. The myth exists when saying you're hitting a plateau and not losing any weigh because you're eating too few calories. That is not possible. As long as there are fat storage and excess weight, any healthy individual will continue to lose weight. On extreme caloric deficits, the body will not decrease its metabolism enough to cause a plateau. The articles mentioned above say additional facts on protein/fat burn, and what "starvation" is defined like.

Its kind of annoying that here on MFP anyone eating below 1200 is automatically putting their body in starvation mode, when the facts are not as simplistic as that.

Read, educate yourself, and with adequate medical supervision, set a calorie goal that works for you so that you lose weight at the desired rate without sacrificing good nutrition. It can be done. Good luck!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    ... On extreme caloric deficits, the body will not decrease its metabolism enough to cause a plateau.

Three words for you: You are wrong.

I've lived it for 16 years.

Backstory: 16 years ago I had stomach surgery (not gastric bypass - surgery to re-create the sphincter muscle be prevent acid from splashing back into the esophagus because the one I was born with no longer worked). The way the surgery works is to wrap the top of the stomach around the bottom of the esophagus re-creating this muscle. Because of this, my stomach cannot expand. I can only eat a finite amount of food at each meal. Before joining MFP and realizing what I was dealing with, I was averaging well below 1200 calories - generally below 1,000 most days. Yet I am still over weight. But according to the two previous posters...this is impossible. And yet, I'm living proof. I am an active 49 yr old woman. I take Tae Kwon Do classes 2 - 3 times a week. Yet I am still overweight. And you want to tell me it's not possible? You're wrong.

Since re-starting MFP in August and reading some wonderful posts from Helloitsdan, Determinednoob, SHBoss1673 and jacksonpt, I now understand what it is that has been happening to me and why. I have been slowly increasing my caloric intake by eating 6 times a day and drinking protein shakes and all of a sudden, I'm losing weight. I have complained to my doc for the last 16 years that I have no energy, that I don't feel well, that I can't lose weight. Sadly, he never made the connection. Since upping my calories I have energy now, I feel so much better and I'm losing weight. Fitting in enough calories during the day is hard but the results speak for themselves.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    A reddit post as evidence.. with a wikipedia link.. If you want to eat at 1200 or less go for it, just don't complain when you hit a plateau or stop losing... none of us can physically stop you from not eating.
  • bonbon_bee
    Options
    A reddit post as evidence.. with a wikipedia link.. If you want to eat at 1200 or less go for it, just don't complain when you hit a plateau or stop losing... none of us can physically stop you from not eating.

I didn't say I supported the claim or denied the claim. I did not say I would be eating a certain number of calories. I asked for thoughts. That's all Ü
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The human's ability to enter a starvation mode is not a myth. You don't have to look like you're starving for your body to send out signals to tell your brain its not getting any more food. My 5'0, 250 sister has been in starvation mode for years but STILL won't eat anymore food. Why? Because she's not hungry. Her leptin signaling must be completely messed up.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Couldn't intermittent fasting cause the body to be tricked into thinking it's being fed but still have an under 1200 calorie deficient and keep your body from going into Starvation Mode? I just read this some where and I found it extremely interesting since my wife insists on eating under 1200 every day after I was trained on TDEE.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that each subject ate approximately 1,560 calories per day (hardly starvation) which is 30% higher than many people on MFP are consuming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Its kind of annoying that here on MFP anyone eating below 1200 is automatically putting their body in starvation mode, when the facts are not as simplistic as that.

i think it's a good reminder, though, for many people who may be eating too little or may be suffering from an eating disorder. because there are so many reasons to be here, if an otherwise healthy individual dips below 1200 a couple days (and doesn't eat much junk food, thus getting maximum nutrition for those 1200c) then it's probably not that big of a deal. I don't mind the reminder because, really, on a whole foods approach, 1200 calories is a lot of food; on the typical american diet, it's barely breakfast.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Couldn't intermittent fasting cause the body to be tricked into thinking it's being fed but still have an under 1200 calorie deficient and keep your body from going into Starvation Mode? I just read this some where and I found it extremely interesting since my wife insists on eating under 1200 every day after I was trained on TDEE.
    No. Your body's metabolism is regulated by hormonal responses, which are in turn linked to how much you're eating.

If you don't eat enough for too long, it will slow down. It will never STOP, well, until you drop dead, which is why anorexics need to gradually descend down to 200-300 calories a day to see weightloss further.
  • UWZander
    Options
    OMG! Someone made a forum post on a weight loss site. This has dramatically changed my way of thinking. Yeah, no. People need to stop offering unwanted advice they read on the internet.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree i also think starvation mode is a myth At least until you get to a very low percentage of body fat... Its very popular these days but dont be fooled it really is a myth If starvation mode were really true no one would be starving in the world their would be no anorexics. People need common sense .... Why would you body hold on to fat for dear life. and your metab come to a sudden hult Nope.. it might slow but you can speed it up by exercising and eating every few hours.
  • cherryberry2x4
    Options
    Wouldn't drinking 0 calorie green tea while not eating keep your metabolism working fast since green tea is known to boost metabolism?
  • naisey71
    Options
    Ok, I am confused now. I have been told in the past by friends that the reason I couldn't take off a few pounds was because I didn't eat enough. I would limit my calories and work-out 4 times a week. They keep telling me "you need to eat more". But logic would tell me if I eat 1,200 to 1,500 calories and burn 700 to 1,000 I should shed a few pounds and not gain?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't drinking 0 calorie green tea while not eating keep your metabolism working fast since green tea is known to boost metabolism?

YES. The magic of ancient Chinese dragons come to boost your metabolism in the night
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

YES. The magic of ancient Chinese dragons come to boost your metabolism in the night

All I could think about .... was Trogdor. :tongue:
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good lord, people. Do what works for you. Don't listen to anecdotal crap on forums without some kind of filter for BS. If you have a question and want a real answer, call your doctor or a dietician.
  • naisey71
    Options
    I have also heard that if you don't eat enough calories that your body stores them because it doesn't know when its going to get it next meal.

Example, would be not eating all day and then eating a large dinner.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Sadly I've read this on an intermittent fasting site today. They had a person drinking green tea for two meals and then having a meal on the 3rd meal of the day after 24 hours of fasting. I don't see anything wrong with this assuming you only 24 hour fast 2 days a week. Fasting has been known to take the payload off of your organs if done properly.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Ok, I am confused now. I have been told in the past by friends that the reason I couldn't take off a few pounds was because I didn't eat enough. I would limit my calories and work-out 4 times a week. They keep telling me "you need to eat more". But logic would tell me if I eat 1,200 to 1,500 calories and burn 700 to 1,000 I should shed a few pounds and not gain?

Check how much you should be eating: http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee
    It explains it all after you punch in your numbers.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

This is a good read which a friend posted in response to the same sort of question. It made sense to me. Take the time to read over it when you can.