Bad foods 'in moderation' IIFYM

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I don't know. I eat a 1/4 cup or a spoonful of ice cream almost every day and have no problem with that. And can eat half a cookie or 3 chips fine.

I eat foods like that because I like that taste. And sometimes I choose to eat them. The first bite is always the best. I enjoy it and move on.

Often I find that if I eat too much of them they don't taste good and I don't FEEL good. Because they aren't very healthy and my body responds to the too much fat the way it's supposed to. But a little? No problem.

That's the whole idea between the style of cuisine that's made of many tiny little tastes.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    not everyone here is addicted to food, and its up to that person to decide if they can just have a treat and stop

this.
    Alcohol and food are different for me.
    I can easily eat a bowl of ice cream without rushing out for another gallon of it...................
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    You are not "deprived" unless you want to be. Your body doesnt need that crap and if you abstain for a short time, you will lose the cravings for whatever it is you think you just have to have.

But I get enjoyment out of the occasional "goodie," whether that goodie is chocolate, ice cream, wine or jello shots. If I'm otherwise eating healthy, why not?

I think of it as entertainment for my tastebuds. :laugh: I don't want everything I watch on tv to be serious educational programming... sometimes I want to watch Wipeout. I don't only read Shakespeare... sometimes I want to read a comic book. I don't listen to only classical music... sometimes I want to listen to the Spice Girls. (Yeah, I said that.) I don't only want to do work-work and housework... sometimes I want to play video games or dance.

Why should how I eat be any different? You know what they say about all work and no play...

What a great post. Love your way of thinking :smile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Bad food in moderation is utterly fine. Unless you want to be a model, step on stage a body builder then it won't matter really at all. After all, its simply calories that count.

If body composition matters (in terms of muscle etc) then its advisable to avoid junk largely. But for the general populace? No probs at all!

I agree. But based on the many threads of "what is your ideal body" and that type of thing, I imagine many people here want the ideal body (magazine cover model) but also want their nutella and chips, etc.

But on the other hand, the people on the magazine covers don't even look like they do on the magazines covers. It takes a team of professionals to get them to look like that. And if by some chance they do, they don't look like that ALL the time. They have off seasons. They train and eat especially for shows and photo shoots.

Jamie Eason eating pizza: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152079124240574&set=a.10152079095135574.900014.327738720573&type=3&theater

To be fair, they aren't far off. I carry my look off like I am in my profile a good portion of the year as its part of my job to look like that (as I'm a Gaspari Athlete/Rep). I eat pizza too! :laugh: - just once or so a week...
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    "You can have anything as long as it's in moderation"

"You can eat anything as long as you meet your micronutrient and macronutrient goals"

Seriously?

Imagine sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite program and you are allowed to have 12 pieces of potato chips and 3 cookies.... You eat the food and tell yourself it's enough, but you are sitting there with all the residue of the chips and cookies in your mouth and while looking back in the kitchen you see the box of cookies looking right back at you.

Doing this is gonna have you hungry in 45 minutes...

Sure there are people who can do this, but I never understood eating bad foods 'in moderation.' It's like telling an alcoholic to just have one drink at night and telling him he will be OK when in reality, most alcoholics won't be able to do it.

Totally agree.

Mathematically, sure. But human nature isn't a math formula.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member

"You can eat anything as long as you meet your micronutrient and macronutrient goals"

Seriously?

Imagine sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite program and you are allowed to have 12 pieces of potato chips and 3 cookies.... You eat the food and tell yourself it's enough, but you are sitting there with all the residue of the chips and cookies in your mouth and while looking back in the kitchen you see the box of cookies looking right back at you.

Sure there are people who can do this, but I never understood eating bad foods 'in moderation.' It's like telling an alcoholic to just have one drink at night and telling him he will be OK when in reality, most alcoholics won't be able to do it.

Lol bad foods....
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    For me, the idea of logging everything is just part of having an overall healthy lifestyle, and that does include the occasional treat. If you're on some sort of quick fix diet, then fair enough, you want to avoid anything 'bad', but if you want to eat healthily for life, then so long as you log it and remain within your calorie and fat goals, then there's no problem with that scoop of ice-cream at the beach, or that slice of cake at a party.

I went to a 3rd birthday party yesterday and had a slice of cake. I was still within my calorie goals for the day, so it's not a big deal. I don't go to parties every day!

In the UK, you can buy little treat size chocolate bars, or Cadburys dairy milk have a small bar with about 110 calories in it. Sometimes when I do the shopping I buy one, so maybe have one about once a fortnight. I prefer not to keep stuff like that in the cupboards at home, although I do have the willpower to ignore it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I eat pizza too! :laugh: - just once or so a week...

What! Pizza!! But that's a BAD food!! That it Matt!! You're going to be as big as a house!! lol
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member

What! Pizza!! But that's a BAD food!! That it Matt!! You're going to be as big as a house!! lol

LOL!

TBH the reality is the actual carb type on consumes really won't change the way someone looks if the carb level remains the same as otherwise it would with a supposedly cleaner source. Its keeping macro's balanced which is the hard bit.

Heck you could easily get ripped on chicken/beef/fish and haribo's with peanut butter and other nuts if you can keep the carbs at a level your body needs.
  • I'm working with a registered dietician. Her take on it is that what I'm doing is forever, so it has to be sustainable. And in order for it to be sustainable, she's trying hard to drum the concept of "bad food" out of my head.

If you're comfortable with never having goodies ever again, good for you and I'll confess to being more than a little jealous. I can deprive myself for a bit, but forever? Not going to happen. I will fall off the wagon and I will fall HARD.

So the only things I completely abstain from are things I have a tendency to binge on... which has turned out to be less of a problem than expected because I've learned that my sweet tooth is just as satisfied by Thing A (which I enjoy but not so much that I'm likely to overindulge) as by Thing B (which I'll scarf down until it's gone). If I'm craving a trigger food, it's still okay to have as long as I can strictly portion control it (did you know you can buy individual Lindor truffles at some craft stores?).
  • mmapags
    I'm working with a registered dietician. Her take on it is that what I'm doing is forever, so it has to be sustainable. And in order for it to be sustainable, she's trying hard to drum the concept of "bad food" out of my head.

If you're comfortable with never having goodies ever again, good for you and I'll confess to being more than a little jealous. I can deprive myself for a bit, but forever? Not going to happen. I will fall off the wagon and I will fall HARD.

So the only things I completely abstain from are things I have a tendency to binge on... which has turned out to be less of a problem than expected because I've learned that my sweet tooth is just as satisfied by Thing A (which I enjoy but not so much that I'm likely to overindulge) as by Thing B (which I'll scarf down until it's gone). If I'm craving a trigger food, it's still okay to have as long as I can strictly portion control it (did you know you can buy individual Lindor truffles at some craft stores?).

Sounds like you are working with a great dietician. This is totally the take that I believe in!
  • mmapags

LOL!

TBH the reality is the actual carb type on consumes really won't change the way someone looks if the carb level remains the same as otherwise it would with a supposedly cleaner source. Its keeping macro's balanced which is the hard bit.

Heck you could easily get ripped on chicken/beef/fish and haribo's with peanut butter and other nuts if you can keep the carbs at a level your body needs.

Completely agree brother! By the same token, your carb intake is a great opportunity to build health by taking in excellent micronutrients. So why not? But a little ice cream or pizza never killed anyone. The operative word being "little".
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I will eat 'bad food' sometimes even if it does NOT fit my macros - though it always fits my calories. Usually when I get to after dinner and I have 400 calories to kill :P Happens sometimes but I'm really just starting on this road and it's going to take time to find the 'right' balance. I lose weight and I have a lot to lose so the whole 'body composition' thing does not really matter at this point. Likely by the time it does I will have become more comfortable with it all and be able to hit the macros too. I do try ;)

As far as it goes whether or not you can eat small quantities of 'bad' food will depend on the individual. The reason I am fat is not because I binge or because I eat sweets. It is because I eat too much thus I can control my portion sizes without a problem and having a little bit of something does not cause me immediately to go 'on a bender' Some people have a different relationship with food and can NOT just have a little bit - at least not when they are just starting out.

No one thing will work for everyone. In my case I have no problem with it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Because you can't do it doesn't mean no one else can.
  • I eat 80/20. 80% healthy, and 20% other bits here and there. For example, I eat amazing all day, workout, burn a good 300 - 800+ and I WILL have the chocolate (serving size of course). If I restrict foods, I'll binge. Some people won't. Whatever works for your life.
  • I'm working with a registered dietician. Her take on it is that what I'm doing is forever, so it has to be sustainable. And in order for it to be sustainable, she's trying hard to drum the concept of "bad food" out of my head.

Completely agree! :))
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    You mean people have to learn to find something they'll stick with, fits into their lives, and works for them?

I'm not sure how newsorthy that is.

I think people make a mistaken in thinking that when some folks say it's all about macronutrients and moderation that there's an implied assumption that it's going to be behaviorally easy for everyone. There isn't that implied assumption.
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    This post really hits home for me, because it is essentially the basis of my success so far! I have been overweight to obese all of my adult life. Most of the diets I have been on have been just that... diets... ie: restrictive, crazy, deprive yourself to get the weight off, and never actually change your lifestyle kind of diets:) Well.... now at 38 years old, I have finally discovered the secret!!! Here it is: There is no time limit to take the weight off, and I can eat what I want sometimes.... as long as I commit to myself that my overall habits are going to be good ones. However, it is a struggle at times. I just went to a friends wedding this weekend, ate too much, drank too much.... and the scale showed it, but today I am back to logging in to MFP and planning on getting back on the treadmill today also. Before this attitude adjustment and commitment to change my lifestyle..... I would have thrown my hands up in the air and said "I can't do it!!!" Now, I have my slip ups and move on.... Its all about learning what works for YOU....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Seriously?

If you are unable to control yourself, then you shouldn't do that. But not everyone trying to lose or maintain weight has a food addiction or is an emotional or binge eater.

Just like not everyone who has ever been drunk is an alcoholic.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 775 Member
    not everyone here is addicted to food, and its up to that person to decide if they can just have a treat and stop

exactly this .. I have lost 39 pounds so far and I still eat w/e I want, just in moderation
    cookies, candy, mcdonalds, pizza etc