trouble with after dinner snacking...

Options
My biggest downfall so far is my late night snacking.... I was just wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what to eat for dinner to keep me full til the next morning... I cant keep going over on my calories because of unnecessary snacking!!!

Replies

• volks80
    Options
    I have to have snacks at night. But I always have enough calories leftover for them.
    Do you work out any? Adding a bit of a workout would give you more calories to have a little snack. Or try adjusting your calories throughout the day.

Otherwise add a salad to your dinner. So you get in more food.
  • nawagner
    Options
    Depending on your carb-protein-fat ratios, you may be able to put a light protein shake in after dinner that will fill you up but won't stick to you.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My husband gets home later in the evening around 8:15 so we eat dinner as soon as he get's home. Eating later is probably not the best thing but I have found that because of this neither of us snack as we watch TV together in the evening. We usually have our pre-approved desert and are done for the night.
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I save a little bit of calories up so I can have a little snack without going over.. Could try adding fiber to your dinner if you dont want a snack, and drink lots of water!! Orrr do what I do and just have a snack- but make sure to have lots of low cal options, i have either sugar free jello with cool whip (YUM! and 25 calories for a bowl!!) or I bought the new dulce de leche or whatever, puddings, delish and 60 cals! Also have popcorn in mini bags so if i want to munch on something and feel full and have more things to put in my mouth (haha) its only 100 calories!! Sometimes if im actually HUNGRY i'll have an apple or some grapes or carrots, or suck on some sugar free candy!! And force myself to drink a bottle of water before I eat anything, then I get the water in for the day as well! If all else fails, take a tylenol pm and go to bed early before the munchies attack!! =)
  • klybarger
    Options
    I save a little bit of calories up so I can have a little snack without going over.. Could try adding fiber to your dinner if you dont want a snack, and drink lots of water!! Orrr do what I do and just have a snack- but make sure to have lots of low cal options, i have either sugar free jello with cool whip (YUM! and 25 calories for a bowl!!) or I bought the new dulce de leche or whatever, puddings, delish and 60 cals! Also have popcorn in mini bags so if i want to munch on something and feel full and have more things to put in my mouth (haha) its only 100 calories!! Sometimes if im actually HUNGRY i'll have an apple or some grapes or carrots, or suck on some sugar free candy!! And force myself to drink a bottle of water before I eat anything, then I get the water in for the day as well! If all else fails, take a tylenol pm and go to bed early before the munchies attack!! =)

Love your options (admit I've done the Tylenol PM thing - sometimes I just can't continue arguing with myself about it)! Can I suggest going for a quick walk before you eat - sometimes that curbs that nagging munchie feeling too!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    The 60 calorie puddings are a great snack after dinner! I love them and try new flavors all the time.
  • faithcmom1
    Options
    I used to have this problem and sometimes when I woke up in the middle of the night too. I remember Bob Harper :love: saying maybe on the Dr Oz episodes that your body really needs hydration---not food in the middle of the night. Thats the biggest reason people wake up.
    I have since changed my big meal to lunch time. I take in 1200 calories daily now. I do 300 in the am, 300 in the pm and 600 at lunch and mostly my two or three snacks fit into the 600 I allot myself for lunch. Also for the past week now I am focused on keeping in motion. That helps me not feel hungry
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I like doing one of three things. 1) Having my salad at the end of the meal. That way if I'm still hungry I eat more nutrient-dense, fiber-filled salad instead of a second helping of dinner. 2) Having fruit as dessert, I love apples or grapes, or 3) If I have a sweet tooth, chocolate protein shake, it's yummy and fills me up without feeling to heavy/stuffed before bed! :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner as you normally would, but chew a stick of minty gum afterwards. It will help curb your sweet tooth/cravings!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Plan a reasonalble snack in the evening. 100 calorie pack, piece of fruit etc. Maybe something bigger if you can spare the calories. Eat it and enjoy it.

Then brush your teeth and think of that as the period at the end of your day. After you brush your teeth you can't have anything but water.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    try eating celery for your snack and if you have the calories left add some peanut butter.. and with the peanut butter you are getting more protein..good luck...and drink with a glass of water..
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a meal called "night snack" under my meal options that I click on every morning. Voila! My calories for it get subtracted first thing so that when I'm making my meal choices for the day I don't even think that I have the rest of those calories. My night snack consists of a smoothie made of frozen blueberries, a banana, and half cup fat free milk, maybe some water, all whipped up in my magic bullet (or the blender with a mason jar screwed on instead of the big glass blender piece). My night snack also includes 1 cup of chester's puffcorn butter flavored. It reads more like a meal for my 1200 per day allotment, but I know I'm going to cave from years of experience, plus my hubby has a whole other meal then too, skinny little turkey that he is, so I just plan for it. Also, those two things never get old for me, so I can eat it night after night after night without it getting old. Makes it easier for me to see that I need to get in a nice workout too if I want to see any results and eat real food the rest of the day too.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've done a few different things. I do fiber supplements (powder you mix with water) and so I have one after dinner, before bed to help with that "hunger." When I really needed to snack (I have lost that desire altogether which is great) I would do the sugar free jello or pudding. I have also made ice cream sandwiches with chocolate graham crackers and FF cool whip (you freeze together).

Gum is good too, as well as brushing teeth. By far the best thing that has worked for me though is my bleaching trays. I keep them in for an hour so after dinner and exercise I put those in and can't eat that whole time. By the time I take them out it is time to go to bed. Helps me tremendously!
  • CasaMia
    Options
    I am the same, I never go to bed b4 1am so dinner is long gone. Because of this I make sure i save enough calories during the day so I have plenty for nibbles. I find the later in the day it is the more I want to eat anyway so I keep busy all day so I don't get so hungry, then I can eat while I watch tv lol.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Carrots, Celery, cup of tea, water....get on the computer and talk with another MFP person to distract you, have a glass of water handy and then pop that piece of gum in your mouth:flowerforyou:
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth after dinner and it usually keeps me away from wanting to put food in my mouth...even drinks other then water...but I do really like a clean mouth!
  • carinrogo
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher's (sp?) Smart Pop... With Mrs. Dash &/or Molly McButter when I need some extra zing. Low in calories & really fills you up!
  • carinrogo
    Options
    For something sweet, try cutting up an apple & heat in a saucepan with some vanilla extract & some sweetener. It's delicious!
  • Lwayne
    Lwayne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested - plan ahead for your evening snack. For me, it's Kozy Shack No Sugar Added Rice Pudding with 2 TBS canned whipped cream (soothes my 'creamy' tooth) or a square of 70% chocolate eaten slowly (dark chocolate taste best when it melts - IMHO) with a steaming cup of decaf coffee or tea. If I don't have my snack programmed in - you will find me downing Vanilla Wafers like popcorn while scouring the pantry for the next food victim!
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    have 1cup of puffed wheat cereal and 1/2cup of fat free milk. it = 100kcal and has 3-4g of fiber and close to 8g of protein. the puffed wheat has some natural sweetness and tastes good, to me. also you may have heard of "full bars" the primary ingredient in these is puffed wheat. except in the bars they add other crap to make it less healthy. the cereal and milk will act just as a full bar except with 50kcal fewer overall and more actual food