Negative calories food

Options
I just learned that some foods when you eat them your body will burn more calories digesting and processing them than what is in the actual food itself. they are called negative calories foods. Thought this might help some of you :)

Fruits

apple
cranberries
grapefruit
lemon
mango
orange
pineapple
raspberries
strawberries
tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
beet
broccoli
cabbage (green)
carrot
cauliflower
celery
Chile peppers (hot)
cucumber
dandelion
endive
garden cress
garlic
green beans
lettuce
onion
papaya
radishes
spinach
turnip

Replies

• fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be nice, but sadly, there is no truth to this theory. (Or in the case of some foods, like celery, the difference is minimal, as in decimal point differences.)
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well - all these foods are healthy and should be part of a balanced diet - but the negative calorie thing is a misnomer. I wish it were true though!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be nice, but sadly, there is no truth to this theory. (Or in the case of some foods, like celery, the difference is minimal, as in decimal point differences.)

+1
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good to know!! Eating my apple now, but still logging it!! lol
  • sionnain
    Options
    You'd still definitely want to log your calories, though. Food is food and every calorie counts. :D
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

+1

You mean... +1.1 ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

+1

You mean... +1.1 ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Wow... Misinformation in all it's beautiful glory.
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    OP is obviously a green-grocer ;-)

And VERY wrong.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    When scientists determine how many calories are in a particular food, they factor in the amount of energy your body uses digesting that food. So, sadly, the notion of negative calorie foods is a myth. Things that are usually called "negative calorie" are just low calorie.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Impressive for your first post. Not remotely true. Nice try.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    brb

gorging myself on dandelions so I don't have to work out later
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure this is not true
  • samlankford
    Options
    see now I know that when you eat too much celery what happens!! EVERYTHING leaves your body FAST!! but I learned quickly not to do that after that one time!! if you eat fruit then do it earlier in the day, same thing with starchy vegetables...
  • laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Incorrect, please try again.
  • sam2004mai
    sam2004mai Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i guess you guys right about this, there is no negative calorie foods, Please read here

http://realdoctorstu.com/2012/04/11/does-eating-celery-burn-calories-the-science-about-negative-calorie-diets-finally/
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this is wrong and bad information and is not helpful to people trying to lose weight. You eat too many calories, no matter where they come from, you will gain weight. I am a veggie fiend so I have tried and proven that this theory is false.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You know when someone calls himself a "real doctor" on his blog, the advice is gonna be good
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere oreos are a negative calorie food
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When scientists determine how many calories are in a particular food, they factor in the amount of energy your body uses digesting that food.

Uhm, I don't think that's true. Most calorie lables on foods do not take into account the thermic effects of digesting them. It doesn't mean the foods have negative calories though.