Yoga vs Pilates

Options
I'm currently out of action with some pulled muscles in my back. My doctor said when I heal to start with something easier and build myself back up. He recommended yoga or pilates. But how do I decide which one is better for me? Can anyone help me out with some advice, etc??

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try a 10 minute video on youtube of each and see what you tolerate better.
  • lap012165
    Options
    You bet. Yoga, hands down. Pilates puts alot of pressure on your lower back and may cause you to hurt yourself even more. I have had lower back problems for years and tried both of these. Yoga is a much more slow moving motion and you will get great benefits out of it. I have been doing "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" by Suzanne Deason for over 6 years now and love every minute of it. My husband also does it. Some yoga DVD's are way to advanced and will scare you off. This one will really get you in great shape. Give it a try, trust me. Oh, don't get the quick start version it's short and not the same. I got mine off Gaiam.com.
    Good luck...
    Namaste
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Pilates focuses on your core, so it will focus on strengthening your stomach and back muscles. If you have an injured back, you might want to be careful with those.

yoga can go from "easy" to "extreme" so you need to find an instructor/DVD that teaches all the variations of different poses. Find a DVD for yoga stretching or stress relief, just the act of stretching should be beneficial