New to running....

Options
HELP!!! I've been getting the itch to pick up the pace and jog/run! I tried this in the spring, and I think I landed myself shin splints.. Any tips for a newbie to running?? I don't want to end up like that again, I could barely walk for almost 2 months, which left exercise to a bare minimum for me, if at all.. I hear different stories of whether I should stretch before running or not.. I do stretch after, usually (I'll admit, not always the best in that field) but anything I should make sure I do, or keep from doing???

Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have you tried "running" on an elliptical- it has a much lower impact on your body.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Find a couch to 5k online training program. It may seem slow, but it will slowly build up your muscles and hopefully avoid injuries. I'm following one right now and it's working great.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start gradually to prevent shin splints. What I have heard is never increase distance by more than 10% per week. I've never done the couch to 5k program, but hear it is good. Also, get fitted for running shoes at a running store (not a sporting goods store but a running store).
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    tinad, I don't "run" but I do a pace around 5.5 mph on the elliptical, just doesn't get that running itch though! I'll have to push more maybe?

capnrus, thanks! :) I will def look into that! Are there any that work better than another, or are they all about the same?
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to start off slow. 5.5 on an elliptical may be too fast for running. All a shin splint is is over use of muscles that are two tight and in a sense pulling away from the shin. MAJOR stretching before any run is key. Also, I wear compression socks that go up to my knee and prevent shin splints.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Find a couch to 5k online training program. It may seem slow, but it will slowly build up your muscles and hopefully avoid injuries. I'm following one right now and it's working great.

This ^^^ I am doing C25K myself and I'm not a runner...feel free to add me.
  • dshearrer
    dshearrer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I to am new to running (walk/slow jog :-), I am doing the couch to 5K...I must admit i found it a bit slow getting started but i am avoiding injury.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    C25K was perfect for easing the muscles into running form. I had some mild shin splints in the beginning but they faded after a week or 2. I think you just need to slowly build up to longer distances. Now I can run 5-6 miles with no major issues.
  • carrow04
    carrow04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You need to start off slow. 5.5 on an elliptical may be too fast for running. All a shin splint is is over use of muscles that are two tight and in a sense pulling away from the shin. MAJOR stretching before any run is key. Also, I wear compression socks that go up to my knee and prevent shin splints.

this^^^ i highly recommend going to a running store. they will get you fitted for the right pair of shoes and analyze your gait. Wear those compression running tights/socks. also, work on improving your turnover to increase pace instead of trying to lengthen your stride.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Get your gait and pace evaulated by a running shoe store. It is typically free and they will tell you exactly what shoes will work for your feet and the way you run. (I was skeptical and had two different stores do the evaluation - got the same recommendation from both).
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k programme is the best! They're all essentially 5 mins walking warm up, then alternate 1 min jog/run with 90 seconds walking, 8 times. Definitely try it - you can get charts to print off or apps on your phone, or mp3's to listen to that alert you when to run and when to walk. Go for it!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I second (or third?) heading to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. The right pair of shoes can make ALL the difference. And find an actual running store if you can - they'll take the time to check out how you walk and run and make sure you get the right pair.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be avoided with the right shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. When I started (with fancy new running shoes I bought online) I developed shin splints. Then I went to a running store and got properly fitted. No more shin splints.

You shouldn't do static stretching before a work out. It increases chance of injury and is just unnecessary. Do some dynamic stretching, or just some walking, etc. I just do walking warm ups, and then do static stretching of some problem areas at the end. Static stretching before running (or working out in general) is very old school and NOT what is recommended now.
  • glonigan
    Options
    You might all look into either the POSE Running System or Chi-Running to look at your running form, which should help in preventing injury. Also, make sure you switch up your training to give your body time to rest and recoup after your runs. Best of luck to you.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    BUY COMPRESSION SOCKS!! I cannot tell you how helpful they are. I went from not-at-all-a-runner in March to 120 miles in May with no issues wearing them....then decided that I didn't need to bother and I was tired of doing laundry frequently (the socks are about $50/pair) and wearing knee-high socks when it was 90 degrees out. Just two weeks later I had an achilles issue that derailed me for about a month. Back on track, ran my first half marathon in August and training for a full marathon this March. I never run without them now (even though I have to admit, they look pretty silly....especially in summer with shorts.)

I wear these:

http://www.amazon.com/CEP-Womans-Running-Compression-Socks/dp/B003EIKBZY

Best of luck to you!
  • chay69424
    Options
    a few things you may keep in mind:

stretch before and after every workout that you do. Have a good pair of running shoes, and make sure you're running correctly. Heel-toe. I used to get shin splints until I bought the Reebok Zigs, it also matters what kind of socks you wear... and also if you can try to run on treadmill at first, or do elliplitcal before running outdoors... or if you can run on a trackfield, it will help you because the turf feels good when you run. I'd suggest that you do joggin first :) running equals to a speed of 6mph, if you're doing less than 6mph, then you're jogging :) good luck!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give having been in your shoes a few months ago,and contemplating running again at 48, is go to a running store and get fitted for some really good running shoes. They have made all the difference for me. Starting on the treadmill can help too. I ran on the treadmill for the first few months and I think that got me off to a good start. Just ran my first 5k and getting ready for the next this weekend. :)
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Good to start on a treadmill and gradually work your way up to road running. Also, make sure u have decent running shoes as these will make a huge difference
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    GOOD SHOES!

If your shoes are more than 6 months old, and you're starting to run on concrete, you probably need new shoes. That padding & foam can wear out, and that can lead to shin splints. "They say" you should go to a fancy running store & be properly fitted into a pair of $100+ shoes. However, I'm usually happy with the $35 clearance shoes, as long as I don't let them get too worn out (and I usually go for more than 6 months, but you're not supposed to!)
  • majormite
    Options
    I always stretched and just ran until I needed a break. Maybe walk a tenth of a mile and then run a tenth? Whatever works and keeps you from hurting yourself. My body always tells me when it's time to stop, which right now isn't long. :)

Eventually you'll build muscle and stamina and you'll notice you're not stopping as often.

that's my completely unprofessional, non-medical opinion :)