My Crazy Smoothie

Options
I have started eating a "crazy super food smoothie" for breakfast and lunch every day. I feel great when I eat it and I'm not hungry. I came up with it while researching the most nutrition ingredients I could find. What I'm wondering is if there is something I should change in my recipe. I'm hoping that there is someone who has knowledge of these ingredients and what each is doing for me. Here is the recipe:

Generic - Malunggay (Moringa) Leaves - Fresh, Raw 25 g
Generic - Quail Egg, Whole, Fresh, Raw, 72 g (8 egg)
Nutiva - Organic Chia Seeds, 1Tbl
Organic - Flax Seed Whole, 1Tbl
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein - Organic Shelled Hemp Seed, 1Tbl
Generic - Sprouts--Brocolli, 1/4 cup
Generic - Seasame Seed, 1Tbl
Generic - Sunflower Seed Sprouts, 0.2 cup
American Health - Probiotic Acidophilus, 1 Tbsps
Nordic Naturals - Arctic Cod Liver Oil, 1 tsp
Nature's Way - Chlorofresh Liquid Chlorophyll, 1 Tablespoons
Now - Msm Powder, 1 Teaspoon
Nature's Way - Spirulina Micro-Algae, 2 capsules
Navitas Naturals - Organic Raw Maca Powder, 1 tsp
Earth Shift - Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 1 TBSP
Doterra - Slim & Sassy Metobolic Blend Essential Oil Supplement, 1 drop
Y.S. Organic Bee Farms - Bee Polin Whole Granules, 3 teaspoon
Trader Joe's - Maple Syrup - Grade B, 1/8 cup
Sweet potato leaves - Raw (Sweetpotato leaves), 1 cup, chopped
Doterra - Alpha Crs+, 3 Capsules
Doterra - Xeo Mega Essential Oils Omega Complex Dietary Supplement, 4 liquidcaps
Doterra - Micro Plex Vmz Food Food Nutrient Complex, 4 Capsuls
Dole - Frozen Mixed Fruit - Wildly Nutritious Signature Blend 96 oz Bag, 2.5 Cup
Generic - Sprouted Almonds (22), 0.0625 cup

So, here is what I'd like to know from one of you nutrition gurus...

1. Is there something that I should add to my recipe to make it more nutritionally complete?
2. Is there something I should remove because it isn't helping or could cause bad results?
3. Are there ingredients in my recipe that are counteracting each other (like, maybe the essential oil kills the Acidophilus or something like that)?
4. Is there any reason I shouldn't put all this stuff in my vitamix and blend it together for breakfast and lunch every day?

Thanks for your input!

EV

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but what are the calories/macro breakdown for this?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    chlorophyll lol
  • exvance
    Options
    I probably should have mentioned that that recipe is for 3 servings.

Per Serving:

Calories: 346
    Carbs: 32
    Fat: 16
    Protein: 13
    Sat Fat: 1

To me the protein seems a little lower than I'd like it and the carbs are a little higher than I'd like them.
    I'm not sure about the Fat because almost all of the fat in there is considered very high quality (based on my research).

My goal is to lose weight. In addition to eating this I am doing Tae Kwon Do (3 days per week), and Weights (2 days per week).
  • exvance
    Options
    Not sure why you find chlorophyll funny. Are you suggesting I should remove it because it's not good or have you just never seen it used in a smoothie before?

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Chlorofresh-Chlorophyll-Natural/dp/B0001KFFG8
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that there is someone who has knowledge of these ingredients and what each is doing for me.

I just am wondering if you do not know what it is doing for you then why on earth are you putting it in your body? Specifically (and I do not know this obviously) how can you even be sure that just mixing random things isn't going to be bad for you or potentially some of those foods react negatively with other ones..especially given the amount of 'exotics' . I'm sorry but to me it does not sound very appetizing but to each his own.
  • exvance
    Options
    Oh, it is definitely doing good things! Each of the things in the list has high health claims individually.
    I'm not TOTALLY mixing random things in ignorance. I have done a fair amount of research on these things.
    I can almost guarantee it is more healthy/nutritious than whatever 99% of the population had for breakfast this morning. ;-)
    I was mostly asking for ideas in helping to refine it. For example, a dietitian might look at it and be able to tell me I need to add some ingredient in order to complete some protein or something like that.

BTW, it tastes great! It isn't something I have a hard time drinking.
    The fruit and maple syrup really make it sweet and yummy.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fruit AND maple syrup AND honey... you sure? Since I set my food diary to show sugar next to macro's, I'm having a hard time staying under target, unless I workout like crazy.
    I'm sure you did research, but it's a long list and as the other poster said, how do you know they all are good with each other?

But I'm no guru, obviously. Just holding the place until the real ones show up )) I believe there are plenty here.
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Interesting items in your smoothie. Seems you have covered all the nutrients. Have you had any lab work done to see if there are specific nutrients your body needs? You might consider hiring a dietation for a couple of consultations, not only could they help you evaluate your blend, but provide input on all your nutrition needs. (I am not a dietician, but found it help to pay some expert advice.)
  • exvance
    Options
    Fruit AND maple syrup AND honey... you sure? Since I set my food diary to show sugar next to macro's, I'm having a hard time staying under target, unless I workout like crazy.

There isn't honey in it.
  • exvance
    Options
    Interesting items in your smoothie. Seems you have covered all the nutrients. Have you had any lab work done to see if there are specific nutrients your body needs? You might consider hiring a dietation for a couple of consultations, not only could they help you evaluate your blend, but provide input on all your nutrition needs. (I am not a dietician, but found it help to pay some expert advice.)

This is probably good advice. I haven't had any work done. I have thought about hiring a dietitian.
  • exvance
    Options
    Yeah, after looking at the sugar content in the fruit and maple syrup I bet a dietitian would tell me to get rid of the maple and use Stevia instead. Though, maple does provide things that the stevia would not.
  • rmillsaps04
    Options
    I have started eating a "crazy super food smoothie" for breakfast and lunch every day. I feel great when I eat it and I'm not hungry. I came up with it while researching the most nutrition ingredients I could find. What I'm wondering is if there is something I should change in my recipe. I'm hoping that there is someone who has knowledge of these ingredients and what each is doing for me. Here is the recipe:

Generic - Malunggay (Moringa) Leaves - Fresh, Raw 25 g
    Generic - Quail Egg, Whole, Fresh, Raw, 72 g (8 egg)
    Nutiva - Organic Chia Seeds, 1Tbl
    Organic - Flax Seed Whole, 1Tbl
    Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein - Organic Shelled Hemp Seed, 1Tbl
    Generic - Sprouts--Brocolli, 1/4 cup
    Generic - Seasame Seed, 1Tbl
    Generic - Sunflower Seed Sprouts, 0.2 cup
    American Health - Probiotic Acidophilus, 1 Tbsps
    Nordic Naturals - Arctic Cod Liver Oil, 1 tsp
    Nature's Way - Chlorofresh Liquid Chlorophyll, 1 Tablespoons
    Now - Msm Powder, 1 Teaspoon
    Nature's Way - Spirulina Micro-Algae, 2 capsules
    Navitas Naturals - Organic Raw Maca Powder, 1 tsp
    Earth Shift - Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 1 TBSP
    Doterra - Slim & Sassy Metobolic Blend Essential Oil Supplement, 1 drop
    Y.S. Organic Bee Farms - Bee Polin Whole Granules, 3 teaspoon
    Trader Joe's - Maple Syrup - Grade B, 1/8 cup
    Sweet potato leaves - Raw (Sweetpotato leaves), 1 cup, chopped
    Doterra - Alpha Crs+, 3 Capsules
    Doterra - Xeo Mega Essential Oils Omega Complex Dietary Supplement, 4 liquidcaps
    Doterra - Micro Plex Vmz Food Food Nutrient Complex, 4 Capsuls
    Dole - Frozen Mixed Fruit - Wildly Nutritious Signature Blend 96 oz Bag, 2.5 Cup
    Generic - Sprouted Almonds (22), 0.0625 cup

So, here is what I'd like to know from one of you nutrition gurus...

1. Is there something that I should add to my recipe to make it more nutritionally complete?
    2. Is there something I should remove because it isn't helping or could cause bad results?
    3. Are there ingredients in my recipe that are counteracting each other (like, maybe the essential oil kills the Acidophilus or something like that)?
    4. Is there any reason I shouldn't put all this stuff in my vitamix and blend it together for breakfast and lunch every day?

Thanks for your input!

EV

No offense, but that **** sounds disgusting!
  • exvance
    Options
    No offense, but that **** sounds disgusting!

No offense taken. I did call it a "crazy" smoothie.
    It actually tastes pretty good. I've had a lot worse.
    But that might be partly because the fruit and syrup sugar mask some of the other things.
  • mommawhtz4dinner
    Options
    Bet this stuff is not cheap!
  • exvance
    Options
    Bet this stuff is not cheap!

That is true. Some of it is very expensive. However, I have a stock of the most expensive stuff.
    We raise quail, so the quail eggs are fresh and cheap.
    We have Moringa trees so that is free.
    We have sweet potatoes in the garden right now so that is free.

When I run out of things restocking will cost so but I probably have a good 3 month supply of most things. At this point it is better to use it than let it get old and go bad. ;-)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you find chlorophyll funny. Are you suggesting I should remove it because it's not good or have you just never seen it used in a smoothie before?

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Chlorofresh-Chlorophyll-Natural/dp/B0001KFFG8
    I think most of the stuff in your smoothie is worthless. No offense.

But I'm also a meathead and know only a mild amount about nutrition. The way I see it- if you eat whole, clean foods, you're getting what you need. Millions of years of evolution allow our bodies to use what is naturally available. So I don't eat things that are extracted from plants for my health (not that chlorophyll is, but last time I took a middle school Bio course, I wouldn't think of eating it.)