New to running....

Options
2»

Replies

• naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree about going to get fitted for proper shoes at an actual running store. That's an important step, right along with how you land. Shin splints are often a result of over-striding, so when you do get a chance to run make sure you try to land your feet underneath your body, not out in front. Kinda hard to explain, it's just one of those things you pick up on.

Also, I second the motion for C25k. Excellent program to start with! Best of luck to you.

P.S. - That "itch" will get worse the more you run, until being excited about your first 5k turns into excitement for your first full :)
  • jensenta3
    Options
    Start off slow, GOOD SHOES IS A MUST, and be sure to stretch!!!!!
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Start by walking the route you think you could run everyday. Plan your stops and how many times you would run a day, how many calories you would burn. I run a track back and forth 2 times a day and it takes 40-60 minutes. Don't put pressure on yourself, if you tired and you want to stop - stop. By walking you can burn the same calories like jogging, but it takes longer. I don't know any tips - sorry. I just think that you should eat something before running or elseway you'll get tired easily. (: To practice running, instead of walking to your favorite market, run. See how you feel. I improved my running over a week and I can sprint and run long distances easily now. It's nice for your heart and it's the best way to burn calories without paying for the Gym.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I agree with good running shoes. They are a must for runners (and not just any shoes either...but shoes that were specifically made for running). It's best to get fitted, but you can figure out what shoes to you need on your own (runnersworld.com is a good place to start).

And the elliptical is NOT a good trainer for running (though it's great for cardio). It uses a different set of muscles than running.

C25k is probably the best running program out there to teach you to run (I've done it twice). You can get free apps or podcasts for it that tell you when to start and stop.

If you stretch before (which I don't), you want to use dynamic stretches (meaning you move your body to stretch, like swinging your arms back and forth). Save the static stretches for after the run.

Also, it doesn't matter what speed you run....you are a runner. Forget the post that says otherwise. In the beginning, just worry about building endurance....the speed will follow later.

Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Good to start on a treadmill and gradually work your way up to road running. Also, make sure u have decent running shoes as these will make a huge difference

Treadmill..?? Seriously??

Get fitted with the right running shoes, get a c25k app for your smartphone and give it a go... OUTDOORS. The treadmill is not the same experience. We were not meant to run on treadmills. If you find c25k to be difficult, start power walking for a couple of weeks, then try again. Also, revisit any part of c25k until you are ready to tackle the next part of the program.

Focus on running at the most comfortable pace you can manage.. Pace is the least important thing right now, but it will come in time.

Good luck and have lots of fun!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are my beginner's running tips, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Bear in mind point 8 - Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.

We often pull up out toes to deliberately land on our heels when we start to run, and using those front-of-shin muscles over and over causes discomfort. Aim for a quiet mid-foot landing.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    and also if you can try to run on treadmill at first, or do elliplitcal before running outdoors

I disagree with this. Head outside as soon as possible! I put it off, but running outside is SO MUCH MORE FUN! I am dreading the snow that will push me inside for the season. And don't worry about your speed - that will come later. It's better that you start out slowly and don't injure yourself. I am slow as mud, but who cares, I'm totally a runner!
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with good running shoes. They are a must for runners (and not just any shoes either...but shoes that were specifically made for running). It's best to get fitted, but you can figure out what shoes to you need on your own (runnersworld.com is a good place to start).

And the elliptical is NOT a good trainer for running (though it's great for cardio). It uses a different set of muscles than running.

C25k is probably the best running program out there to teach you to run (I've done it twice). You can get free apps or podcasts for it that tell you when to start and stop.

If you stretch before (which I don't), you want to use dynamic stretches (meaning you move your body to stretch, like swinging your arms back and forth). Save the static stretches for after the run.

Also, it doesn't matter what speed you run....you are a runner. Forget the post that says otherwise. In the beginning, just worry about building endurance....the speed will follow later.

Good luck!

This is prob the best advice I have read.....get outside and run, it is better for you and the miles seem to tick away faster when you are seeing the world. Try to land mid/upper-foot, landing on your heal increases the impact and can lead to many more injuries. The best advice I have is take it slow, enjoy your time outside and the speed and distance will come in time.

By the way; running 2.5 MPH or 10 MPH is still running.....some people have no clue.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been running for a long time and occasionally develop shin splints. There are YouTube videos that show how to massage your legs to heal your shin splints. The procedures detailed are actually very good as they have helped me. Search "shin splints" for videos on treatments.

Hang in there!:happy:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My favourite stretch for shin splints is to kneel on the floor and lean back. A great exercise to help prevent them is to kick your shoes off under the desk and write out the alphabet with your toes :happy:
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Find a couch to 5k online training program. It may seem slow, but it will slowly build up your muscles and hopefully avoid injuries. I'm following one right now and it's working great.
    ^^ This..
    Do it gradual, dont stretch fully before a run, just warm up slowly by jogging for 15 mins. After a run always stretch. Look on the site 'e.how' they give you all the info...x
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, and go slow, speed will come.

From what I understand shin splints are caused by bad shoes and going faster than your body is ready to go. You my have the endurance, but your muscles need to get used to the impact.
  • Lityboy
    Options
    Buy comfortable shoes that "hug" your feet but not too tight or too loose that it will cause you blisters. Start at your own pace and build it up as you feel better and more confident. Don´t overdo it at the beginning because you are overanxious to get results fast. I have jogged on and off since September 2007 but I have stopped for numerous reasons and subsequently gained back all the weight I had managed to lose. It´s almost heartbreaking and it virtually dampens your wiilpower to reverse the situation.

The best thing is to see progress over a longer period of time but that is truely sustainable. In the long run you will incorporate the cleaner and healthier lifestyle into your own life and maintain it as a normal part of who you are and want to be. That´s the real key and I had never been able to do that until now.

I´ve lost 23 pounds in 3 months just from rigorous and healthy dieting (not fasting!) and jogging 4-5 times a week. At first, I could barely run over 2 miles without huffing and puffing. Nowadays, I´m at a level where I can run, with a certain ease, at least 6 miles a day in less than a hour.

I wish you all the best! Never give up!!!

Chuck
  • fields69
    Options
    Most people seem to be recommending "good shoes", but really your form is more important in my opinion. A lot of people, myself included, have tended to rely on cushioned shoes to allow them to basically run incorrectly. That's not to say that I believe in running drills or scientific running methods, but a few pointers to get you on the right track are:

- cadence. This should ideally be around 180-200 steps per minute (i.e. 90-100 per foot).
    - landing. Ideally you should be landing on your midfoot, and allowing your heel to come down and touch the floor just after. If you have cushioned shoes on, they're like wedges and I guess you should be aiming to land pretty flat-footed.
    - posture should be upright, engaging the core.

I should add a bit of a disclaimer here: If you do pronate, then I would agree that it is important to choose the correct shoes, IF you want heavily cushioned shoes. Running in heavily cushioned shoes is like running on a platform. If you wear "neutral" shoes when you really need "stability" shoes, then your feet will roll in too much and affect your knees. Running shoes companies have invented technologies to address the problems they themselves introduced. Reducing cushioned sorts this out, in that there is less tendency for your feet to roll in too much, as the ground acts as a stop for the roll. High cadence and midfoot landing reduces the force of landing.

Hope this helps! Note - I still run in running shoes, but tend to use models with little cushioning and as little a heel drop as possible (currently using New Balance MR00, with zero heel drop).
  • toddjg
    Options
    Most people seem to be recommending "good shoes", but really your form is more important in my opinion. A lot of people, myself included, have tended to rely on cushioned shoes to allow them to basically run incorrectly. That's not to say that I believe in running drills or scientific running methods, but a few pointers to get you on the right track are:

- cadence. This should ideally be around 180-200 steps per minute (i.e. 90-100 per foot).
    - landing. Ideally you should be landing on your midfoot, and allowing your heel to come down and touch the floor just after. If you have cushioned shoes on, they're like wedges and I guess you should be aiming to land pretty flat-footed.
    - posture should be upright, engaging the core.

I should add a bit of a disclaimer here: If you do pronate, then I would agree that it is important to choose the correct shoes, IF you want heavily cushioned shoes. Running in heavily cushioned shoes is like running on a platform. If you wear "neutral" shoes when you really need "stability" shoes, then your feet will roll in too much and affect your knees. Running shoes companies have invented technologies to address the problems they themselves introduced. Reducing cushioned sorts this out, in that there is less tendency for your feet to roll in too much, as the ground acts as a stop for the roll. High cadence and midfoot landing reduces the force of landing.

Hope this helps! Note - I still run in running shoes, but tend to use models with little cushioning and as little a heel drop as possible (currently using New Balance MR00, with zero heel drop).

^^ Definitely this. Landing is critical. Also, although stretching before running is a semi-controversial topic (most saying it is not necessary) I do recommend a stretch for avoiding shin splints. You can do the "hell on the floor and lean back" version referenced earlier, but I prefer "heel on the floor, toes on the wall and press down on the BACK foot heel". You will feel the stretch in the back leg's calf. In my opinion though, landing on midfoot is really critical. I started running again (yes, I did run before) 6 months and 60 pounds ago and it is a GREAT way to get fit. Just start slow and keep with it. I could not finish 2 miles when I started again, and did 9 miles yesterday and can do them at 8 minutes per mile now. Keep it up. I know what you mean by "the itch" - for many it is an addictive habit. My biggest challenge now is just finding the time to run as far as I want. GREAT work getting out there!