nuts? good snack or evil?

Options
So I'm currently sat munching on almonds, and i love hazelnuts.

But, do they make good snacks? are they "healthy" i know some are "fatty" and quite high calorie.... but I often crave crunchy things, is this a good way to get through that craving?

Replies

• EgglessKeto
    Options
    Some fat is okay, fat keeps you full for longer :)

I love my roasted almonds.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nuts, in general, are a good snack but....in moderation (I'm sure you knew that). I eat raw almonds and count them out - 12 with lunch, 12 with an apple for afternoon snack.
  • alikat517
    alikat517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love nuts and nut butters! They are a good source of healthy fat and protein and also low-carb which really helps keep my blood sugar stable but...a little goes a long way! :) Since they are so calorically dense I really have to watch myself to keep my portions in check. I found some 100 calorie packs at Wal-Mart which I love because if I have a huge jar of mixed nuts in my pantry it is so hard to just eat 1 serving!
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my snack of choice! Just read the label, and stick to a serving size or half a serving 2x a day :) GOOD snack.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    awesome snack :) filling protien packed good fats. natural.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    There are good fats and bad fats. Nuts contain 100% GOOD fats! They are essential for your body to function properly. Eat them every day! Just don't eat too much. They are high in calories because of the fats they contain.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Everything but peanuts, those things are evil cause they didn't exist in Paleo times
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Nuts are extremely healthy. Fat in general is not the great evil many make it out to be. Yes, they make perfect snacks, far better than potato chips fried in trans fats with preservatives and almost no nutritional value.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat just like it needs carbohydrates and protein. The fats in nuts are very healthy, unsaturated, and delicious. Because they are calorie dense, its important to make sure your portion size is measured and logged accurately.
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you eat nuts, add a complex carb with them (fruit) to help your body process the fat and burn properly. That's what my trainer told me. :)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    its one of the best snacks you can have!!!!!

fat gets such a bum rap.

i eat almonds BECAUSE of the fat in them!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great! I eat all nuts (except peanuts, which are legumes) but mostly walnuts. Always raw and never salted. As mentioned above, I also eat them purposefully for the fat.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you eat nuts, add a complex carb with them (fruit) to help your body process the fat and burn properly. That's what my trainer told me. :)

fruit is not a complex carb, it is a simple carb.

sorry.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well of Course nuts are a good snack Yes it has fat and calories but it has Veryy good fat for you.. if you portion it out than it should be fine.. Its not like eating a candy bar Lol...
  • lucindasun
    Options
    what about cooking with nutts, to add protein, I don't often enough meat, so a handful of cashews or peacans in a stir fry does the trick, I also love buzzing a handful of almonds in the magic bullet to make a crust for fish or chicken, is amazing tasting,
  • bakay138
    bakay138 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nuts are healthy but high in calories. Be very mindful of portion control when snacking on nuts, it is easy to go overboard. Weigh out the portions a few times to get a feel for what one portion is. It is usually a small handful. I can throw back five "small handfuls" without even realizing it if I don't measure them or buy 100 calorie packs.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Definitely healthy, but very high in calories. I have to limit them because I know myself well enough to know I won't stop at 14 almonds, or 1/4 cup of peanuts.

I can eat pistachios in a shell, because they take a long time to eat and I get tired of eating them before I consume too many.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Good in moderation, just stay away from the coated ones.
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    Nuts, in general, are a good snack but....in moderation (I'm sure you knew that). I eat raw almonds and count them out - 12 with lunch, 12 with an apple for afternoon snack.

I do this too! They are very healthy, but in moderation
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Fat is not evil! Nuts are a great snack. Just definitely make sure you measure them out - it's really easy to keep munching and not realize how much you've eaten, which is tough when they are relatively high in calories.