Calling all Spartan Racers, Tough Mudders et. al.

Options
I'm running the Super Spartan in Squamish, BC next Saturday, September 22nd... I need your best pieces of advice based on any mud run you've ever done... here are the details:

It's 8 miles. There are no aid stations. Weather should be dry, sunny and around 22C/70F (WIN!)

I'm guessing it will take around 2.5 hours.

Hydration? Options? Ideas
Clothing?
Gloves?

Anything else you think I should know? Help me out!

Thanks MFPals!!

Replies

• cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    knee pads for all those tiny little pebbles you will be kneeling on.....OUCH!!!! there is no way i will forget that next time!!!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wear tight clothing. Spandex under your shorts or leggings, close to the body shirt, tie your shoes very tight, and don't like them too much because they will not be worth anything after your race. Tie your hair back securely (I did a french braid with a bun at the bottom and a headband). Have fun and good luck!!!!
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SHOES! If you're gonna be competitive, it gets slick. My buddy ran with some innov8's, I can't remember what type though.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wear good-draining shoes. I use Salomon Tech Amphibians. You don't want shoes full of water.

Quick drying shorts and shirts are good too. No cotton. I wear running shorts and an Under Armour compression shirt. I wear the compression shirt because it doesn't get all sloppy and floppy when it's wet and cause chafing.

If there are no aid stations, I would run with a Camelbak. I did Tough Mudder with a Camelback with no issues except for that it may want to hang up when crawling under low wires. You can take it off and push it with you or just throw it over the obstacle and pick it up when you're through. It's also a convenient place to carry snacks, gel, and gloves.

I have run several obstacle races without gloves, but I did use them for Tough Mudder because they were recommended. I will admit that they were a welcome addition when I had to climb over some rough wood or whatnot. I just got a couple cheap pairs of mechanic's gloves at Harbor Freight for this purpose.

You'll have a blast!
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh... and try to get shorts with no pockets for the mud to collect in ^_^
  • jeremy_jj13
    Options
    nice im doing this in january! when its in temecula good luck man!!
  • 26point2chick
    26point2chick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wear dark clothes unless you like wet t-shirt contests. wear poly socks, not cotton, as poly will wick and cotton will keep the moisture on your feet.

don't bother with gloves. I wouldn't bother with knee pads either, especially if there's a swim or any deep water. Do wear long pants tho because you will be crawling over rocky surfaces.

We tried bringing a water proof disposable camera once, and it didn't take good pictures because we couldn't ever clear the lens of mud--no part of us could be used to wipe. LOL! So don't bother with that either.

I did bring energy gel a couple of times, but didn't really ever use it. It won't work anyway if they're not handing out water.

Eat breakfast and stay hydrated the whole week prior.

Bring towels AND changes of clothes for the car on the way back. This essential...don't forget dry shoes!

duct taping shoes isn't necessary and doesn't work anyway.
  • azfires
    Options
    Well hello there PAL'S, yes I'm also trying to be better shape but I also training for next years Tough Mudder and Spartan Race in Phoenix AZ.
    Good luck too all of you
  • azfires
    Options
    Good luck to you and have fun!!! the 22 its next week... awesome I have mine in the Feb of 2013 both the spartan and tough mudder
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    okay... hmm... I hadn't considered knee pads.

I have a Salomon hydration pack I was hoping not to kill but I don't think I can put in a 2.5 hour effort without one. I'm just afraid of drowning trying to swim in it haha... I plan to use the running shoes I used for my half marathon in August - they're still in decent shape but I've bought and broken in new running shoes since.

I'm thinking just-below-knee length tights (though I could wear my compression calf sleeves) and a tight sleeveless top... should I consider longer sleeves? The only long shirt I have currently is either too loose or a super thin rash guard. Worry slightly about my elbows/arms while crawling.

I did buy some gloves... very thin and kind of rubbery. I can still feel everything and they're skin tight. A two-pack in case I rip though them quickly.

Other than that, I was just thinking of taking some Honey Stinger energy chews like I would on a long run.

My hair is going to be a bish since it's not long enough to tie super securely. Maybe a head band is also in order but then I risk a headache.

I'm also battling a stomach bug right now so I am not eating a lot. Hoping to be able to eat at full TDEE for 3 days beforehand. Wish me luck!

Thanks all :bigsmile:

If you have more ideas/thoughts, keep 'em coming!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My pic on here is my friend and I (on the right) after the Warrior Dash last month- knee length nike pro compression shorts with tight black shorts on over it, and my under armour elastic headband. It was my first mudder and other than donating my sneakers after, my whole outfit worked pretty well for me. They were old sneakers that I didn't plan on keeping anyways I did see some people in the vibram style shoes, and it poured on our race day and these people could not stay on their feet- food for thought. Change of clothes and shoes (including undergarments) is necessary. And wash your clothes as soon as you get home if you plan on keeping them! lol