What to do when your carving something thats not good

Options
How do you get through the cravings without giving into them? Should you have atleast one cheat day a week? What do u do if you hardly ever go over 1200 cal then go over that in two days in a row is it bad on a diet to eat more one week than you did the week before? Dieting is such a pain when you don't know what you are really doing.

Replies

• gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    If I really want something I eat it. Then work around it the rest of the day.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    When I first started this process I used the strategy to eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed within my calories. From doing this I have learned what I should eat and not eat. I do not deprive myself of things, rather learn a healthy alternative to creating the meals I love. I have learned that I cannot eat Dairy Queen every day, but I can have a small bowl of orange sherbet or even a small root bear float (diet A & W of course). I have learned how to make the meals I love with fewer calories learning what to substitute for less healthy foods. You should try to stay as close to 1200 calories as possible, I would say with in 50 calories +/-. I do allow myself 1 cheat meal a week, but I do not go overboard, that might mean I get to have 1 lean burger with Fat Free cheese or a bigger rootbeer float (can you tell I LOVE them), or maybe even a candy bar - Yes I said it, a candy bar, but only 1 or even a fun sized one (less calories). You don't want to deprive yourself of every craving, it is kind of like setting yourself up for failure, instead learn how to create a healthy version of what you love and if it is already healthy, then enjoy.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm craving. I don't think constantly denying yourself works in the long run, but you also can't just eat whatever enters your head to eat in any quantities at any time.

General carb cravings: if I eat more than 200 g of carbs a day, I get cravings for carbs, carbs, carbs. I don't indulge these because I know they are false cravings. I get strict about my carb intake and they go away.

Specific cravings: I figure out how to indulge these. I might go with a healthier version of what I'm craving or I might go for quality over quantity. Say 5 pop chips instead of a whole bag. Or a small piece of chocolate instead of an entire 10 serving bar.

Everything I eat, I log, too. I figure out how to eat what I crave and stay within the limits I've set for myself on calories, carbs, protein, fats, etc. I might go over one day but I'm going to go under another. I try to keep it within my limits based on a 3-4 day running average. I.E., I treat myself like I'm a calorie bank. Sometimes I get overdrawn, but overall I'm balanced.

I also don't do "cheat" anything ... days, meals, whatever. Because "cheat" implies that there is some sort of "right answer" out there and certain foods are against the law. :laugh: Ijust don't think of it that way. I think of it as making choices and trying to make the best choices possible and to eat healthy foods 80% of the time.
  • sarahgadams
    Options
    thank you so much for your imput I really apprieciate it.. It helps out alot.... I will defintly work on it and your results make me feel great and I know that I can do it....
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good input. It's so interesting because initially I thought "one cheat day a week." But after eating so well for a couple of weeks the thought of a cheat day wasn't even appealing. It's crazy to me that you can change what your body/mind crave. That's not saying they completely went away! But, you know, I was craving this 5 layer burrito from Taco Bell. I could have just had it - it's super cheap and worked around it. I decided not to and after a few days the craving went away. The thing is, it was really motivating for me to NOT give in.

I would say - if you are craving something not good either indulge a little bit (if you can handle that - I can't always), make an alternative at home or have a cheat day and get the craving out. What kinds of things are you craving that aren't good?

For me, I've just nixed fast food completely and eat all my meals from home. And honestly, I have great willpower at the grocery store, but not at home so for me not having it in my house keeps me from indulging. If I had chocolate here I would eat it. So I don't buy chocolate. Just remember, it's a work in progress!
  • dmjackso678
    Options
    Chew extra gum!!! It really helps.
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me, I can't stop at one of anything if I am on a binge, so I am not buying anything that I know can trigger a binge for me. That being said, I love pizza....and I will eat a whole one, no matter how big, I just keep eating, even after it makes me sick. So, I made a homemade one, half ham and pineapple for hubby, and half veggie for me. I got to eat 'all of it'. it was healthier than from a pizza joint, and I only used 700 calories.

Truthfully, most junk food doesnt taste very good if you savor it and eat it slowly. It ends up tasting slimy or dry or 'chemically'. So why not make yourself something that tastes good and fills the craving? At least you end up having 'nutrition' calories instead of chemical calories
    Just my thoughts
    Beth
    PS - what are you craving?